Did the intense heat of Seville at this time of year, play a factor in how both teams played?

Laudrup11Cooper

Firstly the consensus seems to be in the media, that both teams did not play that well.
Certainly not up to their best.
So how much of a factor was the heat in Seville?

It seems that this week in particular there has been extreme temperatures in Seville.
With temps averaging between 94-98 F.
Possibly even exceeding average.

So.
Was our preparation the best in regard to this, for such a prestigious game?

Could the players have had more time getting acclimatized several days before.
Before facing that intense heat in the final?
I actually, not just in hindsight was gobsmacked how late the team were flying to Seville.

Anyone who has visited these countries, (which is pretty much everybody) know how hot it can be at this time of year.
Even at that time of night.
So why didn't we make the time to do this?

Last Saturday's game against Hearts was a dead rubber, and we could have played just about every Colt, and probably still would have won!

When Scotland qualified for W.C.'s (yonks ago), Mexico '86... they used to go to camps in other countries to get acclimatized before for these tournaments.
Not that it made much difference when you faced Brazil or South American countries, but it did help the players as far as how to perform better, in those conditions.

But last night we were playing another European team in this final, who were pretty much used to the same standard of climate.For me both teams looked exhausted, and as a result served up a poorer spectacle.

Not that matters now, but I think we missed a trick, by not preparing our squad better for facing this particular problem.

Every opportunity to help the players should have been looked into, with history beckoning.
So ...was it?

Definitely, towards the end of normal time it was bordering on farcical and more akin to a game of walking football.

Obviously you have the natural cautiousness that comes in at that stage of a final but it was clear both teams were shattered.

Not surprising neutrals might not have thought much of it honestly.

We looked like a bunch of hungover brits abroad after 10mins. And no wonder.

A death trap stadium in 32 degree heat, with no shade, no water, no food and heavy handed thieving police.

Should never have been played here.

It we are being honest, the game itself was of poor quality for a European final. Both teams sat back to preserve energy in the heat

Playing in those temperatures adversely effects any football game and even more so now considering pressing is such a big part of modern football.

Scottish teams will fair worse than most in those conditions last night.

The predicted heat was a discussion topic here last week, many were quite dismissive, or at least indifferent, to its effect.

Both teams were affected, I expect us slightly more as Germany experiences warmer conditions and they are probably more experienced in how to cope with it than us.

I think the biggest difference though was in how it likely deprived us of the game we would like to have played.

Not suitable for high intensity or closing down, we are our absolute worst when reduced to walking football.

And that in turn doesn't lend to fans ramping up the noise.

I dont think so. They are athletes, they should be well prepared.

I cant make up my if it was Frankfurt who sussed out the way to stiffle us was to stop our full backs getting forward, or our players just weren't up for the task. It felt like a repeat of the away Liepzig tie for much of the match

Probably a bit of both.

Mate as I write this, it's over 100 degrees outside my window.
I wouldn't want to be in that for 5 minutes, never mind running around and exerting myself for 120+
Both teams did incredibly well to last that pace in that heat.

It certainly effected both teams, and I'd say we were less comfortable than them in the first hour.

In the last hour though I thought they weakened alot quicker than us. One thing we should take out of last night was just how much fitter we looked overall at the end of the game.

On top of the Braga/ semi-final back to back extra time wins I'd say one thing we absolutely have nailed is our fitness.

I dont think so. They are athletes, they should be well prepared.

I cant make up my if it was Frankfurt who sussed out the way to stiffle us was to stop our full backs getting forward, or our players just weren't up for the task. It felt like a repeat of the away Liepzig tie for much of the match

Probably a bit of both.
Nonsense. Athletes or not they are human beings. I've competed in sports in all conditions and I can tell you that heat is a major factor

I thought the heat did have an affect on our players at least. Having never seen the Frankfurt players before I can’t say if I thought they were affected. However, given that players know the temperature is and will remain hot, that there will be water breaks and that there is a fair chance of extra time being required it is inconceivable that the elevated temperature would not have an effect on their performance even if only by causing them to attempt to manage their energy expenditure more closely than ‘normal’. While I could never reasonably claim to be an athlete or have an athletic build I know that even mowing the lawn in hot weather is energy sapping compared to, say, when it is overcast so make sensible allowance for that; mid-job cool drinks and going more slowly works, and makes the following beer all the better.

UEFA made a big mistake taking this final, as well as previous ones, to the hottest city in Europe. If heat weren’t a significant issue why have FIFA moved the Qatar World Cup to November? Recalling previous World Cups in hot places the group stage afternoon games have generally been walking pace affairs hardly worth watching when compared to evening games.

Back