Did we really interview Francesco Farioli?

He was the only phone number wee Ross had in his contacts who the fans knew . All those worldwide contacts and interviewed 2 people for his 2 managerial appointments.
If you believe we interviewed anyone then I have some magic beans to sell.Beale was their one and only target.

Except post #34 says differently. You’ve been here long enough to be familiar with the snippets we get from @boracay ranger . Your choice whether to believe him but his record is solid.

Yet more insight to the knowledge we have on the board process of recruitment from the ITK. Stating opinion as fact with absolute confidence.

What other things has he got correct?
His post history is freely available. You can trawl through it. My recollection is simply of snippets of info, generally not transfer related btw, that comes to fruition. When you spend as much time as I do on here you get to know which posters to look out for when it comes to info. Said poster is one of those to look out for. Up to you whether you can accept that, no big deal if you don’t.

Right now it’s the done thing to be critical of all things Rangers, I get that.

Last edited:
His post history is freely available. You can trawl through it. My recollection is simply of snippets of info, generally not transfer related btw, that comes to fruition. When you spend as much time as I do on here you get to know which posters to look out for when it comes to info. Said poster is one of those to look out for. Up to you whether you can accept that, no big deal if you don’t.

I’ve no reason to doubt it, just annoys me going off that list there’s far better options than MB.

I’ve no reason to doubt it, just annoys me going off that list there’s far better options than MB.
Perhaps, but worth noting that it sounds like several ruled themselves out very quickly.

History now, of course. My own view is that we can only back the man we have.

I don't think there was a hope in hell that the board would've appointed a 33 year old Italian with no experience of football in this country as our manager.
Just went with a young english coach with next to no experience as a manager and whose time in Scotland was as much of a failure as this one looks like turning out.

The board’s attempts to pull the wool over our eyes are quite transparent to be honest. Of all the talk of whether Beale will or won’t be sacked, one thing that really is worrying is the fact that even if (or rather when) he is sacked, I wouldn’t trust our board to get the replacement right, not one bit.

I think there’s a lot of people being hypocritical here.
The majority of us, myself included, were very much on the Gio train when he was appointed.
Similarly, I’m sure we all thought, as Wilson and Robertson would have, that getting MB would being like immediately going back to the Steven Gerrard days without having to pay as much for the manager.
MB talks a great game and given that he was the coach who brought us 55 it’s not difficult to understand the attraction of appointing him.
He had also turned down an EPL job.

The big error that seems to have been made was not appointing a Director of football and allowing MB solely to conduct transfer business.

Wilson must be chuckling as he has turned around Forest and they are starting to look like they are staying in the EPL without much of a problem.

Meanwhile, we currently look like we have a bunch of players without confidence, playing under a manager, who is starting to look like a rabbit in the headlights.

We were sold a dream of attacking dominant football, but in reality, we have got a disjointed and confused mishmash of styles without any noticeable identity.
Gio was a justifiable appointment, winning the league with Feyenoord was an amazing achievement. I was initially very excited by his appointment, though it was quickly tempered by discovering Feyenoord fans didn't really like him or rate him.

But Beale's only experience of being a manager was a few months at QPR where he got off to a decent start. That should never be enough to earn you the Rangers job & I said that at the time, as did many on here

Do agree it's crucial we appoint a director of football though

He was the only phone number wee Ross had in his contacts who the fans knew . All those worldwide contacts and interviewed 2 people for his 2 managerial appointments.
Hassenhutl has been complimentary about Wilson after working with him & would have been a big name appointment with a good cv.

remember some of the press were linking him with us & was hoping it was true. Wonder how much the board were willing to pay a new manager & if that limited who we could attract. Suspect we went for the cheap option.

Gio was a justifiable appointment, winning the league with Feyenoord was an amazing achievement. I was initially very excited by his appointment, though it was quickly tempered by discovering Feyenoord fans didn't really like him or rate him.

But Beale's only experience of being a manager was a few months at QPR where he got off to a decent start. That should never be enough to earn you the Rangers job & I said that at the time, as did many on here

Do agree it's crucial we appoint a director of football though

Gio was my choice from the start. I honestly never considered anyone else and I got my wish. Didnt turn out as Id hoped, obviously but at the time he was a no brainer for me.

Looks like he'll be the next Brighton manager now.

Maddening that we looked at an up and coming young manager, with a great attacking style of play, and decided Michael Beale would be a better shout.

I'm fully behind Clement, but the decision to appoint Michael Beale will be one we look upon in years to come as one that cost us up to a hundred million in lost revenue if we don't qualify for another Champions League.

Maddening that we looked at an up and coming young manager, with a great attacking style of play, and decided Michael Beale would be a better shout.

I'm fully behind Clement, but the decision to appoint Michael Beale will be one we look upon in years to come as one that cost us up to a hundred million in lost revenue if we don't qualify for another Champions League.
He wouldn't have been given the time with us. It's either off to a flier or grab your coat.

No point in having a great bit of attacking play with a leaky defence. That's what's needed at Ibrox.

I wish the club would shell a bit of money out and get a proper manager in, it would be a lot of money but so does needing to pay off whole backroom teams when things don't work out with the next gamble.

I really hope the board start putting more emphasis on finding proper targets and not just someone the club knows, we need some stability. I'm sick of knowing within a few weeks that the manager in charge isn't going to work and having nothing to look forward to until his inevitable sacking when the hope starts again.
But what’s a proper manager? Our most successful in the last decade had no senior management experience whatsoever. Getting a proper manager is a two way street, we must want him and he must want to come. Not many good managers would fancy Scottish football or even a club that’s had 7 permanent managers in the last 10 years. Good ones want a bit more time than we have been offering. And a few more resources than we have.

IMHO, we will continue to struggle as long as we whip through managers at the rate we have been. New managers bring in their own people, want their own players, recruitment team, youth coaches etc. Change manager, then we have to start all over again as well as making the job unattractive to those we may want.

Neil Critchley was either the week before or after Gios’ interview.
Nice to know Wilson was thinking outside of the box after Gerrard left.

A toss up between Gerrard’s old assistant, Gerrard’s successor as Liverpool youth coach and future assistant, or an out of work former Rangers player.

That prick really did set us back years, didn’t he?

To be completely fair to the board. They weren't in charge of appointing a new coach. That was Wilson and Robertson's remit.

I don't think we did, think that was a puff piece put out to try and cover for the fact we'd been in contact with Beale for ages prior to appointing him.

The support were also fairly adamant at the time that we needed a guy who knew and understood the league after the issues Gio had. Which I found utterly preposterous and I still do. We needed a fresh impetuous and we squandered that chance.
The board after the qualification to cl imho fell out with gio he was excited to deflated with a day.

From that point there was negative articles appearing about gio from Chris Jack etc

And although gio wasn't working a fair few of us said Beale was the wrong appointment

I was all in on Muscat based purely on the exciting style of play. My mate was saying he's started well at his latest club and now heavily linked with Feyenoord

I dont think we interviewed anyone else never mind Farioli…

This board couldnt pick a proper manager if their lives depended on it.

If we were as good as picking a manager as Bisgrove is at commercial deals then we would actually be best in class.
Romano suggests we were interested.

Appointing Beale, giving Murty 6 months in charge and appointing Pedro should have seen people get sacked.

3 disgraceful appointments in last 7 years.

Got lucky with a rookie in Gerrard as well (albeit big name) and on paper Gio was good appointment.

Clement after great start now looking 50/50.

We really make it hard for ourselves at times.

The board after the qualification to cl imho fell out with gio he was excited to deflated with a day.

From that point there was negative articles appearing about gio from Chris Jack etc

And although gio wasn't working a fair few of us said Beale was the wrong appointment
A few of us, a smaller few, said GVB was the wrong appointment.

Appointing Beale, giving Murty 6 months in charge and appointing Pedro should have seen people get sacked.

3 disgraceful appointments in last 7 years.

Got lucky with a rookie in Gerrard as well (albeit big name) and on paper Gio was good appointment.

Clement after great start now looking 50/50.

We really make it hard for ourselves at times.
I’ve said it repeatedly, that no one was sacked for Pedro and approving his signings is an absolute disgrace.

Is he not going to Ajax? Seen there was talk of that a few days ago.

It's quite funny because there was a thread posted on this board at the time about this podcast and some of the replies to Farioli being interviewed were quite negative.
We’ll never get unanimous on anything on here, or in our support.
Fifty/Fifty is closer.
Only certainty is that the “told you so” will always be the loudest whichever way it goes.
For the record, I was in favour of Beale.
Sucked in by the “brains behind Gerrard/55” thoughts.

Our Board are an absolute shambles.

This whole period of Celtic dominance is on them.

I have huge issues with how the board dealt with the period of time after 55 and after we qualified for the CL… but the fact celtc have £70m in the bank is why they are dominant. An event like 2012 is only overcome with a huge injection of cash flow or by a significant period of time with the business operating with strong cash flow.

We didn’t get the first and we’re only now getting the second. We want people to blame. That person is still Murray.

He obviously fanny dazzled a few players so wouldn't surprise me if he did the same to the board as well

Sam lammers for instance he's been a striker every club and manager he's played under yet Beale sold it to him as he's gonna be a number 10
While putting Cantwell out if position who was our best player second half of last season
He “Fanny dazzled” a good number of the support too.
I’m sure the majority of the support accepted Beale’s appointment.

Nice to know Wilson was thinking outside of the box after Gerrard left.

A toss up between Gerrard’s old assistant, Gerrard’s successor as Liverpool youth coach and future assistant, or an out of work former Rangers player.

That prick really did set us back years, didn’t he?

Have to assume it was a strong recommendation from SG.

To be fair, at the time I think he was one of only a handful of coaches with the highest qualification in the game.
Wilson did love shit like that. Him not being a name must have been a wrench for him right enough.

A few of us, a smaller few, said GVB was the wrong appointment.
It's a tough one tbh

He was and he wasn't

I'm not sure Gerrard gets us to seville or many other managers.

In the league he was undone by the scum in how he played but its small moments as well.

If the winter break hasn't been brought forward we smash them at that game as they had no players left and we were flying we beat them and the sheep and go 9/12 points clear and win the league. They went out brought 4/5 players in we recruited badly. And the 3 subs was changed to 5.

Post a potof glue prob doesn't get 20 mill to spend and we are sitting on 2 in a row. Alters everything after it

That was one of key moments

It's a tough one tbh

He was and he wasn't

I'm not sure Gerrard gets us to seville or many other managers.

In the league he was undone by the scum in how he played but its small moments as well.

If the winter break hasn't been brought forward we smash them at that game as they had no players left and we were flying we beat them and the sheep and go 9/12 points clear and win the league. They went out brought 4/5 players in we recruited badly. And the 3 subs was changed to 5.

Post a potof glue prob doesn't get 20 mill to spend and we are sitting on 2 in a row. Alters everything after it

That was one of key moments
Not for me. His football was rotten most of the time his domestic record was rotten. Rescheduling a fixture shouldn’t result in the shambles of a performance and then he copied and pasted. I wouldn’t have trusted him with the budget either. Bottom line is this. As with Beale.
Had he not been connected with Rangers previously he wouldn’t have been in consideration for the job. And most in here would have viewed the appointment less than favourably.

I’ll always believe that Beale properly pulled the wool over their eyes and they believed he was going to be the next big thing in management.

Then when wolves were reported to be sniffing about him they shat it that if they didn’t appoint him quickly some other English team would snap him up then we’d miss the chance.

I’ll always believe that Beale properly pulled the wool over their eyes and they believed he was going to be the next big thing in management.

Then when wolves were reported to be sniffing about him they shat it that if they didn’t appoint him quickly some other English team would snap him up then we’d miss the chance.
You’re not wrong there. On paper Beale was the logical choice. A lot of the guys he worked with were still there and some still are. The early signs were good too. The fact he had no over sight when it came to last summer is ridiculous. Surely someone on the board has to question these signings and how they will fit the team?
It seems like they’ve brought him in as the group and style of play he worked with and developed was abandoned in favour of something completely alien. To make matters worse he then changes his mind after one game.
You also have to look at his 2 pals and wonder how they ended up here too.

If we interviewed other managers and they still chose Beale then that says a lot about the board tbh.
The board genuinely thought they were getting Steven Gerrard on the cheap.
There seemed to be general agreement that it was a good move among the fan base at the time.

Unfortunately he was too late applying for it as we had got down to our final three at point. I would have loved him to get the job as he was my first choice, then Clement.
I wasn't aware that Glasner had applied for the job,but isn't it strange he applied so late in the interviewing process?.
Makes you wonder whether he was too committed to getting it as he would've known the job was available.

I dont think we interviewed anyone else never mind Farioli…

This board couldnt pick a proper manager if their lives depended on it.

If we were as good as picking a manager as Bisgrove is at commercial deals then we would actually be best in class.

Muscat was intervied

I wasn't aware that Glasner had applied for the job,but isn't it strange he applied so late in the interviewing process?.
Makes you wonder whether he was too committed to getting it as he would've known the job was available.

Him and his agent confirmed he applied but was it after Clement, Muscat and Lampard had been interviewed and Bisgrove was awaiting to hear from the board if he could speak to him and McInnes.

He was away in the USA at the time doing research with Basketball teams on how to do things pre & post games and training and missed the boat basically.

Back