Disabled Facilities at Ibrox

TerrySilverLoyal

Having watched the AGM couldn’t help but feel for the boy that was asking the question about the facilities or quite frankly lack of within the ground. Thought this merited a stand alone thread

The answer even being next year we hope to have a plan in place is quite disheartening tbh as you would think that’s at least a couple of years away.

I get things happen in course finances etc but this has been a concern for years.

What realistically could we actually do to improve this? To not even have had a certain plan in place to then be able to execute it in due course is pretty shambolic in all honesty.

They are nothing short of a disgrace wheelchairs are basically touching each other in their bays in the enclosure never mind the elements battering down on them.

Sadly I don’t think there’s much we can do to improve them unless we lowered the pitch and increased capacity.

Is the redevelopment of the Argyll Restaurant not got something to do with improved disabled access. Having said that it will sure need a better lift if that's the case.

If we can't fill the corner with '000s of seats because if the roof structures, surely we could have or can build something to accommodate a 100+ disabled fans within the struxture?

Someone is going to have to move so what are the choices here?

Option 1. Upset Rangers fans who have been in the same seat for years?

Option 2. Upset away supporters by moving them, club deck maybe or BF1 (old school).

Option 3. Refurb one of the areas currently used for corporate?

Either way, these people deserve decent facilities and it’s time someone at the club made the decision.

The configuration of the stadium won't, in its present state, lend itself to accommodating wheelchair users into the location they deserve imo.
Then surley they can modify the existing seating set up for wheelchair space and access.

Someone is going to have to move so what are the choices here?

Option 1. Upset Rangers fans who have been in the same seat for years?

Option 2. Upset away supporters by moving them, club deck maybe or BF1 (old school).

Option 3. Refurb one of the areas currently used for corporate?

Either way, these people deserve decent facilities and it’s time someone at the club made the decision.
I vote for refurbishment of the corporate areas! :)

I’m a wheelchair user and a very frustrated Rangers fan when it comes to getting to games due to our piss poor facilities.

I personally don’t think the club are doing enough to make make the changes needed to adhere to the equality act and I don’t think our disabled fans do enough to put the proper pressure on the club. It’s all about reasonable adjustment and it would be reasonable to remove seats to make room for wheelchairs. The location of the accessible area doesn’t have to be trackside lifts in the stadium could give us access to other tiers. It’s not just the areas east her as you also have to factor in toilets etc too.

I regularly go to Murrayfield and Hampden and both grounds are far better than Ibrox in terms of wheelchair access.

I’d suggest legally the club are skirting close to not doing enough and I do believe that if proper pressure was put on involving disability groups, MSP and MPs things would change. It’s not good enough just to say money is an issue.

1 in 6 people they reckon are disabled these days to some extent.

I asked the club a wee while back to give me some info on the numbers of spaces we had and what the regulations are regarding a new build stadium with a similar capacity. A new stadium should have at least 260 wheelchair spaces and that doesn’t include ambulant seats for folks with issues such as blindness and other disablement which isn’t purely physical. At the time of asking the club we had 107 wheelchair spaces. 93 of those were taken up by season tickets, 7 were for away fans leaving only 7 spaces for match to match availability. It shouldn’t be any more difficult for a disabled fan to get a ticket as it is for an able bodied person to get a ticket.

In an ideal world there shouldn’t be a “disabled section” as there should be more integration allowing disabled fans to sit properly with friend family. Adaptive seating is used in other venues.

All I heard today at the AGM was just words and more empty promises of improvement

The club also don’t appear to have much disabled parking for fans on the stadium grounds/Albion car park. Currently on the waiting list for a space but they don’t know when one will be available.

The away support should be placed in the most eastern side of the enclosure behind the touchline with minimum amount of seats that need to be allocated. We could then use the away area in the corner section between Govan & Broomloan to put a new disabled section in the highest rows possible with ramped access from the concourse to ensure folk get good view of the pitch and are also fully under cover. The BF1 section could also be moved over to BF5 with standing area installed to increase capacity and produce a better atmosphere from a more enclosed section of the stadium.

The disabled access areas behind the goals at the euros with the ramps etc, in some of the stadiums was class. Or was that last world cup.

My missus is disabled and uses a wheelchair for getting around, it's one of the reasons she hasn't been to a game with me yet, that and she likes rugby.

Is the redevelopment of the Argyll Restaurant not got something to do with improved disabled access. Having said that it will sure need a better lift if that's the case.
That rings a bell with me too and I think one of the Directors referred to it today - but several on here took his comment the wrong way, thinking he meant corporate seating was ahead of disabled facilities. I’m sure there are disabled areas being provided in the back of the Govan and new lifts to service them. Nowhere near as many as are required however.

I’ll be very honest here, this isn’t something I gave much thought to previously as out of all the issues Rangers have this one didn’t affect me

This unfortunately changed in the summer when one of my mates was confined to a wheelchair after following the bears near and far for many many years

This really opened my eyes to the disabled section which is extremely poor and I can only imagine this will get worse over the winter.

Can the back rows of the front sections be converted to wheelchair use as they come in at ground level?

Not every disabled supporter has a wheelchair.

Some like myself are “ambulant disabled” and it is a genuine struggle to get to Ibrox. Parking is inadequate. Subway queues are a complete pest. I’m on the waiting list for a parking space yet there are dozens of empty spaces behind the Sandy Jardine Stand.

The way things are, I won’t be renewing my STnext year.

Ibrox is an old stadium.

To make any modifications for ease of access or more seating and better facilities, we're going to need to increase the capacity of the stadium.

To do that, we're either going to need to lower the pitch or we're going to need to design a frame over the top design for additional tiers like they done at Anfield recently.

Both of these projects are extremely costly, and something that our board and Chairman said today that we simply cannot do right now.

Bennett went on to say that they'll make the disability access and facilities better, if it comes to displacing normal seating and costing us money, so be it.

So a stadium capacity increase isn't happening, likely actually a reduction and then larger facilities and seating areas being made from what is being lost.

It's the only affordable thing we can do right now, which the board are hesitant to do, hence why they are talking about having a plan next year.

Club wants to maximize profit this year to hit goal and recover from losses.

You sadly won't see change this season.

Its a much bigger priority than safe standing and the only place I could see that could be renovated to accommodate would be the Govan East corner. Would require a lot of money though and probable lowering of attendance.

I do get slightly irritated with senior figures at the club who we’re paying a significant salary not really boxing clever.

“Rangers Football Club are today pleased to announce the introduction of significant improvements to our facilities for disabled supporters.
These important members of our fan base have been neglected and under-represented for a significant period of time and it has been concluded that a renovation of the Broomloan Road Stand is necessary to accommodate these needs.

Furthermore, the club is aware of the high consumer demand for standing areas in today’s football stadia and we will be catching up with other clubs in Europe and indeed our own league, in introducing safe standing within the aforementioned renovation.

The only way forward for the club in these endeavours is to move the current ST holders of these seats and whilst we appreciate the emotional and logistical upheaval involved, we ask those affected to recognise not only the benefit to the club but to their fellow supporters, less fortunate than themselves.

The club will be engaging with those affected to relocate them effectively whilst recognising their contribution to the club and its support with a complimentary home jersey for the forthcoming season.

5 minutes that took ffs.

I do get slightly irritated with senior figures at the club who we’re paying a significant salary not really boxing clever.

“Rangers Football Club are today pleased to announce the introduction of significant improvements to our facilities for disabled supporters.
These important members of our fan base have been neglected and under-represented for a significant period of time and it has been concluded that a renovation of the Broomloan Road Stand is necessary to accommodate these needs.

Furthermore, the club is aware of the high consumer demand for standing areas in today’s football stadia and we will be catching up with other clubs in Europe and indeed our own league, in introducing safe standing within the aforementioned renovation.

The only way forward for the club in these endeavours is to move the current ST holders of these seats and whilst we appreciate the emotional and logistical upheaval involved, we ask those affected to recognise not only the benefit to the club but to their fellow supporters, less fortunate than themselves.

The club will be engaging with those affected to relocate them effectively whilst recognising their contribution to the club and its support with a complimentary home jersey for the forthcoming season.

5 minutes that took ffs.
Aye 5 minutes to type up, how long to find the money to pay for it all?

I might be wrong, when you walk from the concourse to the govan front you are at the first (top) row level? Unlike the GR where there are stairs up from the concourse (btw I know there are stairs to the concourse in the GR).

If that is the case could the back row(or2) in one or 2 sections be converted for use by wheelchair users?

As I’ve said before, if it’s 2 £5 million players or improving access for our disabled supporters then it’s an easy choice.
Playing to the gallery a bit with that comment, when being first in Scotland is everything then a lot of people would quietly disagree.
The club have already intimated today that steps will be taken to address this properly but its pie in the sky to suggest we will be throwing millions at it anytime in the near future.

Playing to the gallery a bit with that comment, when being first in Scotland is everything then a lot of people would quietly disagree.
The club have already intimated today that steps will be taken to address this properly but its pie in the sky to suggest we will be throwing millions at it anytime in the near future.

I don’t get that first line at all.
You’re inferring virtue signalling or some other bollocks. Not me at all.

I’m saying that as the biggest club in Scotland, the most popular club in Scotland then by definition we will have the most people affected by this.
I’ve experienced it, I’ve seen it and I’ve read about it and it is not good enough.

Whether it’s pie in the sky or not, we are a club. All equal, all as one. Therefore equal accessibility and enjoyment of our club for all should be priority number 1 for Rangers.

Your laughing at the notion of it above sums it up unfortunately. And I don’t blame you tbh. I want the best Rangers team aswell.
Some things are just a bit bigger.

Ibrox is an old stadium.

To make any modifications for ease of access or more seating and better facilities, we're going to need to increase the capacity of the stadium.

To do that, we're either going to need to lower the pitch or we're going to need to design a frame over the top design for additional tiers like they done at Anfield recently.

Both of these projects are extremely costly, and something that our board and Chairman said today that we simply cannot do right now.

Bennett went on to say that they'll make the disability access and facilities better, if it comes to displacing normal seating and costing us money, so be it.

So a stadium capacity increase isn't happening, likely actually a reduction and then larger facilities and seating areas being made from what is being lost.

It's the only affordable thing we can do right now, which the board are hesitant to do, hence why they are talking about having a plan next year.

Club wants to maximize profit this year to hit goal and recover from losses.

You sadly won't see change this season.
Everything you are saying is correct but I mentioned in an earlier post that potentially the club are skirting close to going against the the equality act with their poor provisions for disabled fans/customers which could get them in bother

Many disabled fans and groups would say and perhaps with some merit that providing proper facilities should have come before any expenditure on pitches or new buildings, these are things that benefit the club yes but further delays proper facilities that by law they need to provide disabled patrons.

The whole “reasonable adjustments”. Is pretty vague and whitest the club may think they have made them so one else may think they haven’t and it could be argued in court what is and what isn’t reasonable.

For too long disabled fans have just been shoved in areas not fit for purpose,

I’ve got a mate with MND , he was a Manchester City ST holder for many years. Once he ended up in a wheelchair we tried to get him tickets. The experience is fantastic, park the car and if you’ve a wheelchair make way to stadium. If you are not in wheelchair but not as mobile as others they have golf style carts to take fans from car park to turnstiles.
Most of the way round ground there are turnstiles with lift access to level 2 and 3. The views from the areas are fantastic and at the end of the game you get a steward who helps get you back to the area the lifts are in, all in it makes it a really good experience
Having read some of the stories about Rangers maybe the club should be looking at these teams and how they commit to helping fans with disabilities

I might be wrong, when you walk from the concourse to the govan front you are at the first (top) row level? Unlike the GR where there are stairs up from the concourse (btw I know there are stairs to the concourse in the GR).

If that is the case could the back row(or2) in one or 2 sections be converted for use by wheelchair users?
Aye, you're right. Concourse in GF takes you to the back rows. I went in theere by mistake a couple of weeks ago :confused:

If we have to take a hit financially to get this done and then maybe even a hit of a 100 grand per year or something due to removing seats then so be it. It needs to be done.

Back rows of Govan East corner would surely be a good area to modify into a disabled section. Elevated view of the pitch and protected a lot better from the weather. Disabled section should really have there own concourse area for toilets, catering etc too. Not easy with an older stadium like Ibrox but something needs to be done and if it’s at the expense of a hospitality section like the Ibrox suite which I think is at the corner then so be it.

Is the small wheelchair section in the Broomloan for home or away fans?

The ideal scenario, in my able bodied opinion, would be for disabled staff to have a way to access the stadium that is not impaired by their level of mobility and a view of the game that isn't substandard as well.

Proper disabled seating higher up in the stands, with reliable, accessible access to them (lifts, ramps, etc) would be my suggestion.

As others have said, being in a chair in the elements must be awful.

That said, are the blind supporters still behind the dugout?

If we can't fill the corner with '000s of seats because if the roof structures, surely we could have or can build something to accommodate a 100+ disabled fans within the struxture?
'This'
There must be something can be done to improve the situation not costing a fortune,how many wheel chair fans access the stadium anyone know?

There are stairs in GF as well. Concourse is pitch level (ish). You go up a set of stairs to come in at the back row level so not suitable for wheelchair users.

The facilities throughout the stadium are poor apart from the club deck there are no poles to aid people who have mobility issues these could easily be fixed without impeding people coming out to the aisles We all have seen the number of supporters with sticks crutches or people assisting. Disabled toilets are non existent. I have brought them up speaking as a Health Professional as yet will wait to see

Took my son roughly 15 years ago to his one and only game at Ibrox. Sat in his wheelchair in the enclosure in the pissing rain. Left at half time totally drenched. Don't think it's improved at all since then.
That’s terrible! Surely something can be done to help our disabled fans.
Football should be for everyone.

Having just seen the AGM I'm wondering if there is any possibility of doing what they did for Bar 72 at both the broomloan and copland and using the space for wheelchairs? I understand this would be an expensive operation with new lifts etc needed fitting but is it possible?

Having just seen the AGM I'm wondering if there is any possibility of doing what they did for Bar 72 at both the broomloan and copland and using the space for wheelchairs? I understand this would be an expensive operation with new lifts etc needed fitting but is it possible?
Already a thread on this.
https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/disabled-facilities-at-Ibrox.186601/

I don’t think so as I don’t believe there’s enough clearance below in the BF / CF.

Posted this in the AGM thread. I hope I’m wrong but I wouldn’t be holding out much hope of things changing much with Stewart Robertson there;

Listening to Robertson go on about having disabled parking spaces in the stadium footprint brought back some bitter, upsetting memories. I was offered a space place behind the Broomloan. The first time I tried to use it, for the first European match since 2012 at home to Progres, the space I had been allocated to my Son’s WAV was occupied, according to the steward, by a ‘Rangers Director’. The last time I tried to use it, against Hearts the same season, a 0-0 home draw, I couldn’t get into the car park at all on the orders of David Martin, an ex cop and Rangers security chief who had unilaterally that day decided to order no one got in past a certain time. A combination of getting my Boys at a certain time that day and being held up in traffic on the M74, I arrived at the stadium in plenty of time but unfortunately just after Mr Martin’s curfew (that he had decided upon that day without informing anyone affected in advance). He watched me behind his desk on a camera as I remonstrated with the police and stewards and refused to speak to me on the day despite being asked to by the staff. When I called Mr Martin about it he hung the phone up on me in the middle of me trying to explain what happened. Stewart Robertson was well aware of those incidents and another incident involving the filth in the Broomloan Stand making gestures at my late Son during the OF game in late December 2016. He did nothing about any of it and attempted to humiliate me instead by trying insinuate it was all my fault. I still have the evidence to back all of the above up (there were also other adults in my car on both occasions with car park) and could easily have went running to the press but refused to publicly badmouth the club. More than those 2 deserved in all honesty. There were other times when we treated shabbily by the club but as I say these 2 regarding the car park I mentioned above were prompted by what Mr Robertson said about the stadium footprint car parking spaces yesterday. 2 very unpleasant individuals who should be nowwhere near Rangers in my opinion (if Mr Martin still is, since my 10 year old Son died I tried to put what happened behind me and concentrate on following my team).

Back