Do Some Fans Expect Us To Be Challenging?

Mr. Blue

Do we really? With where we've been and what we have been through do we really expect to be challenging?

Do we really? With where we've been and what we have been through do we really expect to be challenging?

This forum is influenced almost completely by the most recent result. We beat bottom of the league and all of a sudden the tims are shitting it pedro is the man we are going to win the lot. Drop points and its Pedro out time again .

The truth of it all lies somewhere in the middle. We are improved under Pedro and the squad is better. We are still nowhere near challenging. Second place should be the aim and to get within 12 points of the scum.

Plenty of people were quietly confident After the transfer activity. Also going into tonight game with the chance to go top, albeit with a game extra.

The mentally challengeds are huge favourites for a reason and even though many on here say they're not very good, they are the best team in the league by a distance.

Unless they somehow go on a bad run then I can only see one outcome.

Sadly, yes.

They're the kind who were salivating after beating Ross County and Dundee and had threads predicting how badly we'd beat Celtic.

People on here are ridiculous. The ability to flip opinions on every result should render some folk permanently avoided, their opinions are lacking any substance.

Tonight was massively disappointing, but the way people are completely ignoring the improvements highlights he agendas at work on here. People would rather tell us all they were right about Pedro than see us succeed.

One thing I've noticed since we got back in the SPL, what fans say they expect and what they actually expect are not the same thing.

They say they don't expect us to challenge them, but reactions to results showed even last season, plenty of those same folks blatantly did expect us to challenge

To answer your question, yes, we have a lot of chronically deluded fans in our support who think we had/have a chance of winning the league. It's ridiculous.

I've said all along, a solid 2nd place finish and a cup win (or at least a cup final) would be a realistic expectation and show progress. Obviously no one is happy with 2nd place and nor should they be. It is nothing but we also have to have reasonable expectations.

I'm looking for an improved points total (around 20 points) on last season, that to me, will represent significant progress. Should the tims drop silly points along the way then maybe it will be considered a 'challenge' but i doubt it.

Yeah I expected us to challenge. Why the feck shouldn't we? Win the League, maybe not, but I sure as feck expected us to give them some sort of challenge, but unless we do them next week then it could well be over league wise before Santa visits. That would be yet another embarrassment.

In the league i expect us to win every game and play attractive football, that's the Rangers way and the foundations our club was built upon.

Pedro has invested and improved the squad. Of course at the moment rhotten mob are a better side with a better manager but they shouldn't be pulling away after 6 league games. realistic target must be 2nd and no lower but on the coat tails of that mob, none of this 15 to 20 points behind...because if we are we'll be in a dog fight for 2nd place.

Personally? No, but maybe nick a cup.

There are bears however that would expect us to beat Real Madrid and it should have happened yesterday.

exactly, we haven't even won a league cup or Scottish cup in 6 years, let alone challenge for the league. once we start being able to win trophies, getting the winning feeling and confidence back inside the club, will we be able to think about the league.

of course, winning a cup doesn't guarantee were going to win the league. but look at Aberdeen last year, 2 finals and 2nd place. the perennial losers. I believe once we start winning cups and giving them something to think about, we will start to believe we can win the league. only imo of course

I don't expect us to be one nil up and chasing a game against 10 men.
I don't expect us to drop points against a team that hasn't won a game all season.
I don't expect us to be dropping points at home against a team that has only won once this season.
I don't expect come May we will be looking at Scottish Cup semi final results to see if we are in Europe safely.
Right now this is life under Pedro.

Challenging? Not seriously but I expect a lot better.

To answer your question, yes, we have a lot of chronically deluded fans in our support who think we had/have a chance of winning the league. It's ridiculous.

I've said all along, a solid 2nd place finish and a cup win (or at least a cup final) would be a realistic expectation and show progress. Obviously no one is happy with 2nd place and nor should they be. It is nothing but we also have to have reasonable expectations.
It's a bit harsh to call some "chronically deluded" I think. On another day we would have beaten Hearts at Ibrox considering how we dominated the match, the Hibs game was ruined by a completely inept and borderline corrupt performance from the referee.
It's very fine margins that are the inference between us winning games at the minute, ther is no doubt however that title winning teams turn the near misses into victories and we clearly are a bit off right now.

Next week will give us a better indication of where we stand but it's a bit unfair to slate the eternal optimists among us!

we have no god giving right to finish 2nd. we have to earn 2nd or 3rd etc finish the same as a cup final you have to earn it. but some fans think we should have finish 1st last season.

Don't want to be cheeky, how long do you think we will be using the after what we've been through excuse?
We're not even close.
I'm pished here in Aruba and missed the last 2 games but my mates tell me that they think we're no better than last year.

This forum is influenced almost completely by the most recent result. We beat bottom of the league and all of a sudden the tims are shitting it pedro is the man we are going to win the lot. Drop points and its Pedro out time again .

The truth of it all lies somewhere in the middle. We are improved under Pedro and the squad is better. We are still nowhere near challenging. Second place should be the aim and to get within 12 points of the scum.

Finally someone with a post full of sense.

Challenging would be a pipe dream but we need to see the team moving in the right direction. Pedro came in and achived nothing last season with granted not his players but the results where awful.
This season he has spent decent money and we got knocked out of europe by the worst team in Europe. We have dropped 7 points out of a possible 18 and we play them next week after not laying a glove on them all last season. Even when the tims where dreadful during our 9 in a row they where still tough to beat at there dump. If we dont turn up next week then questions will be asked.

Challenging for the title is too big and ask and unrealistic but we should be improving on last year with the money we've spent. I do expect to finish 2nd.

It's entirely realistic to expect to beat a team that's not won a game yet this season.

It's entirely realistic to beat said team when you're 1-0 up and cruising.

It's still realistic to expect to beat them when they're down to 10 men and it's 2-2 with 13 mins plus stoppage time left to play.

Look at what we've signed. Euro 2016 winner, experienced EPL player, Aberdeen captain, Mexican internationals etc. We should easily be winning these type of games

I fully expected a strong and comfortable 2nd place, and certainly no more embarrassing results.

We won't get either under Pedro.

Yes i did but sadly now im coming to terms with what we have become now, a top 6 team. We wont ever be more without serious serious investment.

I hoped for a solid second place. We used to have most teams beat before we entered the playing field. Now we are nothing more than all the journeymen we used to mock. And with the investment this year re a solid second place it's really not good enough. So it's not about challenging but about looking like we are struggling to easily be the best of the rest.

Yes i did but sadly now im coming to terms with what we have become now, a top 6 team. We wont ever be more without serious serious investment.

Nonsense. We have far and away the biggest budget outside of Them, so 2nd place should be a given.

I fear we've not recruited well for the 2nd successive summer, and have a manager who is nowhere near good enough.

Lost to newly promoted Hibs
Couldn't beat Hearts without a manager
Thistle haven't won a game all season

Be prepared for it to get a whole lot worse when we start to actually play a few tough games.

The forum's reactive, as ever. It'll always be that way and that's why I avoid busy times after dropped points because some of the stuff posted is absolutely pony.

In regards to expectations - I expect us to finish second and would like to bury Aberdeen well behind us. I've been like that since the start of this season and, in my opinion, anyone thinking we were close to winning it is mental.

yes I do expect us to be challenging
whats the point otherwise
we have spent more money than Aberdeen or anyone else except them
so yes I expect us to beat thistle, hearts etc
we should be clear second in this league with it coming down to
our 4 games against them, anything else is unacceptable

No, but given the money that has been spent on the team we should be securing a strong 2nd place finish and decreasing the points gap to Them.

11 points in 6 games, or just under 2 points a game if replicated over the season isn't going to cut it.

Forget the league, we should be controlling games against Partick Thistle. I'm not saying we should never draw against them, but they should be nicking the draw, not us.

I'm not a Pedro fan at all and would've chased him after the 5-1 game. I've been quite vocal on the old forum about him and just don't think he'll cut it at Rangers.

I had been encouraged of late after a couple of half decent performances but last night just reminded me of why I've been critical of his approach.

We drop points to Thistle for the first time in 20 years, we can't beat 10 men and Pedro has not won more than two games on the bounce?

It's just not good enough I'm afraid.

I have no idea what point the op is trying to prove but being dissapointed by a capitulation to dross like Thistle who cannot buy a win is not the same as expecting to challenge for the title.

FFS.

It's not about challenging this season however, after 6 games we've dropped points in half of them and we've not even played Celtic, Aberdeen or St Johnstone yet who are the better sides in the division.

We may have improved personnel wise although outwith Morelos who I've really taken to I believe that's still to be proven on the park but we haven't moved forward results wise in the way I'd like. Our performance last night after the red card was schoolboy like.

With the squad we have I fully expect us to cut the points gap drastically from last season and finish 2nd place. A good cup run also and even winning a cup with a bit of luck would be a good season imo

It's not about challenging this season however, after 6 games we've dropped points in half of them and we've not even played Celtic, Aberdeen or St Johnstone yet who are the better sides in the division.

We may have improved personnel wise although outwith Morelos who I've really taken to I believe that's still to be proven on the park but we haven't moved forward results wise in the way I'd like. Our performance last night after the red card was schoolboy like.

We were on top after the red card, the problem was the way we came out in the 2nd half that ultimately cost us 2 points

We were on top after the red card, the problem was the way we came out in the 2nd half that ultimately cost us 2 points
Of course we were on top they completely retreated to their own box. There was plenty of time to go on and win the game yet we barely forced their keeper into a save.

stop hiding behind this

no one expects us to win the league yet

we can't beat partick thistle

that is why people are angry at the shite performances/team selections , substitutions drivel

Of course we were on top they completely retreated to their own box. There was plenty of time to go on and win the game yet we barely forced their keeper into a save.
We barely forced him into a save but they were throwing bodies at everything, what about the Dorrans goal? The sooner we realise that we are not as good as some seem to think the better, the thing that causes all the meltdown on here is when we have 2 decent results fans think we are going to go and challenge and it quite simply isn't going to happen.

People on here are ridiculous. The ability to flip opinions on every result should render some folk permanently avoided, their opinions are lacking any substance.

Tonight was massively disappointing, but the way people are completely ignoring the improvements highlights he agendas at work on here. People would rather tell us all they were right about Pedro than see us succeed.

This nonsense gets posted every time someone criticises a manager on here and has been complete shite from the first time it was posted. Nobody wants Rangers to fail to prove a point. We don't want to be criticising the Manager but some of us aren't burying our heads in the sand and making excuses after every bad result. And there have been plenty of those!

I genuinely don't see any improvement other than Morelos and Jack. The team is as poorly set up as it was last year and results are reflecting it. It's slower paced than last year but still as glaringly weak. The two Mexicans look like monumental wastes of money and Alves has fell into the trap of thinking he's going to stroll it in Scotland and is being shown up.

I should also mention Candeias has been really positive too with his pace and drive but it's slim pickings for where the improvements are here.

We barely forced him into a save but they were throwing bodies at everything, what about the Dorrans goal? The sooner we realise that we are not as good as some seem to think the better, the thing that causes all the meltdown on here is when we have 2 decent results fans think we are going to go and challenge and it quite simply isn't going to happen.
The Dorrans goal was great but kind of proves my point, it took a wonder strike like that to rescue the point.. You can't always rely on them, when a side goes down to 10 you have to work them in order to carve out chances, we didn't do that well enough and resorted to just tossing balls into the box which played into their hands (which also happened when we were struggling against Hearts). You could tell a few of their players were running on empty yet we didn't capitalise on it.

This nonsense gets posted every time someone criticises a manager on here and has been complete shite from the first time it was posted. Nobody wants Rangers to fail to prove a point. We don't want to be criticising the Manager but some of us aren't burying our heads in the sand and making excuses after every bad result. And there have been plenty of those!

I genuinely don't see any improvement other than Morelos and Jack. The team is as poorly set up as it was last year and results are reflecting it. It's slower paced than last year but still as glaringly weak. The two Mexicans look like monumental wastes of money and Alves has fell into the trap of thinking he's going to stroll it in Scotland and is being shown up.

I should also mention Candeias has been really positive too with his pace and drive but it's slim pickings for where the improvements are here.

Mez did this last year with MW and is doing it again with Pedro.

Back