Do the board need to dig deep again to fund the rebuild

Any talk of stadium expansions, safe standing etc should be shelved until we can actually afford a successful football team again.

We need to prioritise winning trophies over such things, especially when you look at tomorrow and how empty it’ll likely be.

The museum for instance (although funded primarily by going cap in hand to others) is nothing more than a vanity protect right now at a time when fans are paying through the nose time and again to be let down by those running the club.

The bheasts midfield cost £3m to assemble. £1.5m for O'Riley, £1.5m for Hatate and nothing for McGregor. They won the game in midfield.

It's not how much money you spend, it is how you spend it.

We're already spending about £5m on Diomande, that's more than the three of them put together.

It's not merely providing the resources the manager needs, but to be more aware of the football side of things. Our recruitment last season hardly came cheap, but it's plainly obvious that we didn't do it well enough.
This is it. Throwing money at the playing squad is one thing. Spending well is something else entirely.

Whatever resources are available, all we as fans can do is hope that Koppen, and whatever recruitment structure is in place, is up to the job of extracting every piece of value out of this summer transfer window, and beyond.

Its a bit counter productive to be honest.

Dig deep now, no assurance we overtake them, then we have no money to close the gap and they stretch ahead further.

We just got to cut our cloth, hope we can bring some good players in for some bargain fees and build ourselves up.

If we have to sell players like Butland and replace with a cheaper option, so be it.

Build a team on our budget that can beat the dross week in week out, and hope we hit it lucky and can compete against them.

Signing guys like Sterling who have come through good academies but not made the grade with top English sides, younger guys with athleticism is the way to go. Pick them up young and for low fees.

Avoid at all costs guys who are established in the English game at the Championship / Lower EPL side. Lawrence, Lundstrum, Dowell and even Cantwell types.

Younger profile players from England at top sides, or excelling in lower league (aka Aribo) along with up and coming players from Europe like Diomande etc.

Problem is that they are guaranteed the CL income and can afford to spend 3m on another winger for instance and if it doesn’t work out that’s fine as they have lots of money-we can’t afford those mistakes like Lammers, Cifuentes etc

Problem is that they are guaranteed the CL income and can afford to spend 3m on another winger for instance and if it doesn’t work out that’s fine as they have lots of money-we can’t afford those mistakes like Lammers, Cifuentes etc
Lammers might go for reasonable money given what he’s done while on loan

Yes. We will be forever ‘wheeling and dealing’ until someone in that boardroom grows a pair.

Our budgets are tight because of the lack of TV money in the Scottish Premiership.

Nothing the board can do to change that, that's the job of the SPFL.

We spent a fortune on dross last summer.

It's not really down to how much but what we spend it on (Man Utd are a classic exmaple).

Work smarter not harder.

No, we shouldn't be flinging more money into a disappearing pot.

What we have to hope is that Kloppen can idenify players who are half decent and will eventually help us break the cycle of throwing in director loans.

It's not 1990s and Champ Manager with Jack Walker appearing at a club. The board can only appoint people who are good at the job and ensure that the business continues to run.

Murray really did do a number on the mindset of a lot of people's view on how a football club should work.

They need to spend the resources available to them better.

Younger, fitter players who fit the direct and attacking style of play the manager said he wants to implement. And have a potential resale value.

We need to invest sensibly in areas of the squad that are weakest first. As much as we'd like to get rid of 99% of them this will take more than 1 window to fix.

The bheasts midfield cost £3m to assemble. £1.5m for O'Riley, £1.5m for Hatate and nothing for McGregor. They won the game in midfield.

We're already spending about £5m on Diomande, that's more than the three of them put together.
This is the crux of it. It’s about getting the right profile of player.

Someone like Tom Lawrence, no harm to him, just doesn’t fit in with us and what we want to do. He’s a long distance shooter and we don’t really take shots outside the box so he’s almost rendered useless.

Lundstram is a hatchet man who’s lost whatever skill he had in the last year, he’s been more defensive and like a pivot but that won’t work without good players ahead of him.

The list does go on and it would be a fucker of a long post.

I just don’t understand why we can’t go and get players of at least 6ft in height, skilful and technical in ability with an eye for a pass, there’s loads of players like that out there that are good enough to play for us. Even guys of a smaller stature will do but they’ve got to have some semblance of technical ability. We sorely that a good scouting system that identifies players of a certain profile that have good mentality as well as being able to pass a ball forwards and not being afraid to attack.

Any talk of stadium expansions, safe standing etc should be shelved until we can actually afford a successful football team again.

We need to prioritise winning trophies over such things, especially when you look at tomorrow and how empty it’ll likely be.

The museum for instance (although funded primarily by going cap in hand to others) is nothing more than a vanity protect right now at a time when fans are paying through the nose time and again to be let down by those running the club.
Stadium expansion, Ed House etc are funded separately from transfers

Stadium expansion, Ed House etc are funded separately from transfers
I did address that fact.
However if we can find the money for these things then I think you’d be hard pushed to find anyone who thinks we shouldn’t be finding this money to win the league.

The stadium doesn’t need expanded either. Another few years like this and we won’t have much of a waiting list

We are hampered by FFP rules. If I won the Euromillions and wanted to give Rangers £50m I'm pretty sure it couldn't be spent on transfers due to FFP status but other posters know more about this than me.
Unless it was sponsorship only. You can't directly get money for nothing from directors/investors etc. But if you were entirely unconnected to the club from a business point of view, you could give them money in the for of a sponsor, e.g. £10m to have your name across the shirt.

Someone like Tom Lawrence, no harm to him, just doesn’t fit in with us and what we want to do. He’s a long distance shooter and we don’t really take shots outside the box so he’s almost rendered useless.

Lundstram is a hatchet man who’s lost whatever skill he had in the last year, he’s been more defensive and like a pivot but that won’t work without good players ahead of him.

I just don’t understand why we can’t go and get players of at least 6ft in height, skilful and technical in ability with an eye for a pass, there’s loads of players like that out there that are good enough to play for us. Even guys of a smaller stature will do but they’ve got to have some semblance of technical ability. We sorely that a good scouting system that identifies players of a certain profile that have good mentality as well as being able to pass a ball forwards and not being afraid to attack.
And players with some hunger to prove themselves. I think sometimes our support have a view of we’re lucky to have them rather than the players thinking how lucky they are to be here.

Unless it was sponsorship only. You can't directly get money for nothing from directors/investors etc. But if you were entirely unconnected to the club from a business point of view, you could give them money in the for of a sponsor, e.g. £10m to have your name across the shirt.
There's rules stopping that.

There's quality out there as mentioned,
We need to spread the net wide, we offer great wages and conditions for any players to join us,

Our recruitment needs to be much better,
We need to pick a style of football and stick to it,
Sign players that fit in to that system rather than a scatter gun approach,

When PC first arrived I could see a style of play but the last few months have been shambolic,
On Saturday I didn't know what we were trying to do other than punt the ball forward and hope for the best,

When we scored 3 goals against them at Ibrox in the 2nd half we turned the ball over quickly and moved it from side to side and down the flanks ,
Delivered decent crosses into the box and made sure their defence was made to move about,
That was missing on Saturday other than when we scored our goal

I did address that fact.
However if we can find the money for these things then I think you’d be hard pushed to find anyone who thinks we shouldn’t be finding this money to win the league.

The stadium doesn’t need expanded either. Another few years like this and we won’t have much of a waiting list
We've got enough money already for recruitment it's just spent badly,

With regards to stadium expansion it generates income in the long run,
Rangers have always been a club that looks forward not back,
We can leave that sort of thinking to the noisy neighbours

They need to spend the resources available to them better.

Younger, fitter players who fit the direct and attacking style of play the manager said he wants to implement. And have a potential resale value.

We need to invest sensibly in areas of the squad that are weakest first. As much as we'd like to get rid of 99% of them this will take more than 1 window to fix.

If we had no money for a striker in January then where is this rebuild being funded from in the summer ?

I can only assume sales and board funding

Obviously wages are a factor too (no idea what any of their players are on) but these examples need stated over and over again. I just checked a few of their other players and Maeda is another one who has done a job for them at around £1.5m. The only three of their better players I found who were in the region of £4-6m are Carter-Vickers, Johnston and Kyogo.

I think some of our fans get seduced by the idea that we need to spend big money (relative to us and the SPL in 2024) on transfer fees, and I wonder if the board do the same. I don't know if it's a comfort blanket as in the absence of league success we're desperate for evidence that we are back at the top table. But look what our spending has got us recently: Dessers (decent return in the end, but slated all season), Lammers (shipped out by January) and Danilo (injuries hampered him, but was taking a long time to get up to speed) for three examples. And then there's wages.

There are good players out there for significantly lower fees than we've been inclined to spend. But I think our scouting operation has been poor and our scope too narrow - we shouldn't have spent as much in the over-inflated English market as we have.

I don't know if part of our problem is that we're trying to live up to some idea that "this is what a big club does" - spending (relatively) large fees, buying from Serie A or whatever, players who were with top English clubs as youths, etc - and it's just not yielding results for us.

Last edited:
I think we'll likely sell Butland for a substantial fee that'll go a long way to funding a rebuild. Unfortunately we've just given our rivals another £60m so I'd imagine they'll strengthen massively.

It is not about the amount that is spent but what it is spent on.

We can spend a fortune and not move forward or we can wheel and deal and really enhance the squad.

We wasted a small fortune in the summer

Can the board spend big? What is our FFP like at moment?

I’d rather we cleared out as much as possible and get a core 14-16 first team standard players and get certain players from the B team and 18’s up to offer cover & build on from there.

I think we'll likely sell Butland for a substantial fee that'll go a long way to funding a rebuild. Unfortunately we've just given our rivals another £60m so I'd imagine they'll strengthen massively.
Agree mate
They will spend big in the summer sadly

Falling between 2 stools ATM. Overpaying EFL journeymen with little resale value yet failing to bring through promising youngsters. It's not just access to finance that's needed, it's using the money well.

We managed to chuck a couple more million into the pile after we generated revenue from sales to give to Beale.

Hopefully we can generate 20+ million from Butland, Tav, Goldson, Davies, Ridvan, Cifuentes. Lawrence, Hagi,
Cantwell, Wright, Matondo, and Lammers then hopefully we're able to batter into what we need to do.

Don't think we should be spending 4-5 million on players anymore either, especially this summer coming.

Surely we can bring in good players for 2-3 million to beat the likes of Motherwell, Hearts, Dundee etc for like 95% of our games. The likes of Aberdeeen and Hearts would bite your hand off for that budget and fancy themselves to challenge

We've got enough money already for recruitment it's just spent badly,

With regards to stadium expansion it generates income in the long run,
Rangers have always been a club that looks forward not back,
We can leave that sort of thinking to the noisy neighbours
I would disagree on the not looking back.
If we didn't then I doubt Van Bronckhorst would've got the job for instance.
The fans themselves constantly clamour to bring back ex players.

Stadium expansion only works if we are successful and we aren't. Tomorrow will show that when there's nothing to be won a huge chunk have no appetite to be at Ibrox.

Back