Do we have any genuine sellable assets in the squad?

Harsh reality is we aren’t going to have anywhere near the funds we’ve had over the last two summer windows.

Not only is the squad less valuable but income from Europe is probably down a few million as well.

It’s going to have to be a completely flawless window from us and a very poor one from them to even compete for the title next season.
If you look at Diomande and possibly Cortes, I think that’s the type of player we’ll be targeting - young, talented guys we can develop then sell for a profit, possibly on similar loan to buy deals.

Easier said than done of course, and being realistic you’ll only get so much talent for the relatively modest sums we can afford, but it probably is the blueprint a team in our situation needs to be following.

Trouble with that is a team full of young players probably isn’t going to win you the title straight away and we all know by now that you’re never going to get time to build a side over three or four seasons at Ibrox.

The feeling is therefore that some, if not all of our ‘senior’ players will be retained to provide the balance and continuity needed.

Which sounds good in theory, far less so when the senior players we’re talking about have habitually let down every manager they’ve played under at the club.

You can't be suggesting those fees seriously?
You think Yilmaz who plays 2 or 3 games before months out has doubled or more in value?
Todd Cantwell £5m?
Raskin who can barely get time off the bench in this dreadful team £3m?
Just an optimistic guess at the best we could possibly get mate, fortunately it's not my neck on the line if I'm well off.

I'd rather the club was trying to sell Raskin on the basis of him being a Belgium U-21 international, Yilmaz an international full back, and Cantwell a genuinely skillful player, rather than writing them off as duds in a "serial loser" team (however fed up we are with them).

A year ago Cremonese and Atalanta suggested Dessers and Lammers were worth around 3.5-4 million each and we paid up, so who's to say.

contract situation of the squad is as follows

Loan deals ending end of summer

Silva
Cortes
Sima

Contract ending May 2024

Lundstram
Barisic
Roofe
Jack
Balogun
McLaughlin

Contract ending May 2025

Lawrence
Wright
McCrorie
Lowry
Kieran Wright
Hagi

Contract ending May 2026

Tav
Goldson
Davies
Souttar
Matondo
Dowell
King
Lammers

Contract ending May 2027

Raskin
Yilmaz
Dessers
Butland
Sterling
McCausland
Cantwell

Contract ending May 2028

Danilo
Diomande

where are we getting genuine funds to help a rebuild?

Yilmaz?
Butland?
Cantwell?
This won’t go down well.

But a couple of weeks ago we were talking about how many we might stick by the yahoos.

It’s the same squad. They are much worse than thought then but they are better than they are being described now.

None of that is an excuse for the last two performances. The players should hang their heads in shame.

But let’s not decide we need to bin everyone. We need material changes but need to work with the current squad.

Just an optimistic guess at the best we could possibly get mate, fortunately it's not my neck on the line if I'm well off.

I'd rather the club was trying to sell Raskin on the basis of him being a Belgium U-21 international, Yilmaz an international full back, and Cantwell a genuinely skillful player, rather than writing them off as duds in a "serial loser" team (however fed up we are with them).

A year ago Cremonese and Atalanta suggested Dessers and Lammers were worth around 3.5-4 million each and we paid up, so who's to say.
I guess every single one of us is trying to find something to be optimistic about this week.

I asked at the time about him because I had seen very little of him but found it very strange that people were getting excited about a CH that Klopp trusted Henderson to play CH as rather strange.
Never liked the signing from the start either.

Made no sense, the fee, the length of deal and wages were also ridiculous (as per usual).

Think we’d get decent enough money for Butland, Dessers, Lammers, Cantwell, Raskin, Matondo and Yilmaz.

The club hasn't been run to have a player selling model.

Goldson, Tav, Cantwell, Lawrence, Davies, Dowell, Dessers, Lammers, Roofe etc all highest earners with very little development or sell on value.

Guys aged over 25 are likely to be senior players with us being their big move and not players we can sell on, they then must be a clear upgrade on the younger players, not trying to rehabilitate failed journeymen.

Back