Do we pack the midfield or leave just the two in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulsterboy

Do we pack the midfield with sterling, diomande and lundstram or just leave the two in the middle and let themins run the midfield? I personally think which will probably not happen, we should pack the midfield and chase them down

We should pack it as Lundstram is continually overrun by them and doesn't have the legs to do the work required on mcgregor and hatate.

I reckon he'll go with the usual though and look to have an attacking threat.

Hopefully it'll be Sterling, Lundstram and Diomande in there. If it's Lawrence or Cantwell in the ten we'll likely be overrun in midfield. He's almost always went with a ten in there (Cantwell, Lawrence, Lammers) so it would be a first if he goes with the three central midfielders.

We need to make some changes to ensure we at least compete in midfield.

If we stick to the same shape and get overrun yet again then questions will rightly be asked.
Correct, we have made the same mistake every time, we need to go with Lundstram, Diamonde and Sterling, otherwise it’s poor team management to continue with the same mistakes.

For me just as importantly we should go with 2 up front, Aberdeen showed how Celtic struggle against in at Hampden. Stops them building from the back meaning they were going long to Furuhashi and he's about as useful as a chocolate tea pot in that situation.

The facts tell you something has to change with one meaningful league win v them since August 2021.

Wouldn’t be against 4-5-1 to start with, bit like we used to do under Walter’s second spell.

Sterling, Raskin, Lundstram, Dio, Sima

Potentially have to be Cantwell in place of Sima but we simply can’t keep turning up at there dump playing the same way with the same players & expecting to win.

ideally it it should be a 3 in the middle , Sterling Diomande and Lundstram.

If Clement is adamant about the 4231 then it should be Sterling and Diomande/Lundstram.

If he goes 4231 with Lundstram Diomande then its going to be a long afternoon.

If we try and go with just two in the middle we will lose control of the midfield again. It happens pretty much every game v them, you'd think we'd learn eventually.
Is been happening most games we just have better players than test of league

We really need make the midfield congested so they can't pay through us with ease

We should but we won't. Technically both sides set up in tandem with each other with McGregor deeper initially for them and Cantwell higher for us. Which leaves 2 on 2 in there in theory. The issue comes when Cantwell stays up and McGregor breaks forward pulling one of our middle 2 out of position and freeing up either Hetate or O'Reilly, then we get ourselves into trouble. We need to match their setup with Lundstram slightly deeper than the other two to counter it. They break on us at will because of it.

Pack it up and compete for a change. Sterling has to play in the middle of park. Wasted out wide

Pack it, withstand the early pressure because they will fly out the traps and take our chances.

We've got a chance if we don't concede early.

I will be very disappointed if we don’t pack the midfield yet again as it is quite clear to most it is what is needed.

Cantwell can’t play in the middle of the park. That wee rattler has the run of him every game and we just get exposed. We must go with Lundstram Diomande and Sterling in the middle with Cantwell out wide to have a chance at winning.

Obviously there’s a puncher’s chance regardless but we line up the same way against them every time and it never works for us. Would be insane to keep thinking it’ll work ‘this time’.

a middle 3 that contains Lawrence or cantwell is going to get run over.

Diomande, Sterling & Lundstram middle 3, with cantwell wide as we’re very short of options out there.

I thought Clement would have learned from the first game that we need 3 in there but he made the same mistake again at Ibrox so not holding my breath and fully expect us to play with a 10 and get beat.
Playing a number 10 is hopeless too when you don’t have the right player for it. Cantwell has a shocking return for having this fancy position set for him and doesn’t impact games enough, and Lawrence the other option isn’t any better with far worse legs. It’s a luxury we can’t afford.

Butland

Tav
Souttar
?
Ridvan

Sterling
Lundstram
Diomande
Cantwell
Lawrence

Dessers

Maybe a risk playing both Cantwell and Lawrence but have both supporting Dessers at times .

Silva doesn't fill me with confidence going there

Middle 3 of lundstram, diomande and sterling. Cantwell and McCausland out wide. That’s what I would go for.

Snap. RM to hold his position as a wide out all. Cantwell freedom to roam and pick up spaces.

Overload it 3-4-1-1,
Butland
Lundstrom Souter Davis or balogun
tav sterling dio Lawrence Ridvan
Cantwell
silva
4 in the middle of park when we don’t have ball sterling right side to help tav if he’s toiling switch them . If sima is fit he plays instead of silva

Doesn’t matter what any us think, it will be left to PC to do what he us paid to do, and then be judged on the outcome.

Snap. RM to hold his position as a wide out all. Cantwell freedom to roam and pick up spaces.
Also think that in terms of partnerships on the right I think Tav and McCausland have the best partnership. Our best form this season happened when that was the partnership on the right.

It literally isn’t but I get the point.
We've lost the midfield battle with 3 midfielders before, because we picked the wrong ones

It's hard enough matching up 3 vs 3 when their first choice 3 of Hatate, McGregor & O'Reilly press hard. How on earth do we expect to compete being a man down in there?

I would settle for an old style 4-4-2 with one of the top 2 dropping into midfield when required

Or even a 4-1-4-1 with Lundstrum sitting in front of the back 4

Pack it, be patient, and wait for their fans to get frustrated and put pressure on them.
Balls over the top and set pieces will cause huge concern and will make them buckle.

Whoever wins the midfield gets to expose the other teams weaknesses.

In the first half at Ibrox we handed them an easy two goal lead, surrendered the midfield and had our worst player given the role of going up against their left side and protecting our right side.

It failed miserably, but also got to bear in mind our defence was out of balance with Sterling totally wasted at left back. Bringing on Sima made a huge difference in retaining the ball through midfield and forward areas and we were a much better team.

I think we need to pack the midfield to win that battle and be able to counter their 100mph start. Then as gaps appear second half we can become more open and really go for them.

Butland
Tavernier Balogun Souttar Ridvan
Diomande Lundstram
Sterling Lawrence Sima
Dessers
That's almost the same team that started away to Benfica with Balogun instead of Goldson and Sima in for Silva. I think that would work.

Clement needs to show he can be flexible with his formation/tactics, he needs to have a solid 3 in there, maybe Cantwell off the right but I'd probably go McCausland.
I thought we played decent last time there, missed some good chances first half and should really have got a draw at the end bar some poor decision making.

While there is something in it i really think we put far too much importance on 'not standing off them' or 'getting in their faces'. What is more important is that we pass the ball well ourselves, don't concede posession easily and create chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back