Do you feel more confident about the rest of the season now?

Well, SG’s contract was up in 6 months in any case and who knows if it would have been extended. The earlier buzz that surrounded the club and the team was beginning to wane and that was being reflected on the playing field. For me, Brondby was the tipping point. It was so important to us, and our finances, to win. And it was very definitely winnable. But frankly we just didn’t turn up.

So, it’s very difficult to say if our prospects are better or worse under GVB. What I would say is that I feel more relaxed not having a manager who is just waiting for the call to Anfield………..or Villa for that matter.

No - am not sure Gio has the bollocks or minerals for this
Think you might be in for a surprise. He was a good player that went on to have the career path of a world class player including captaining his country in a World Cup final.

You don’t do that without having an absolute top class mentality

Gerrard didn’t want to be there

Players were getting away with fitness issues abs the application was not there imo

The players will get a lift from us on sundsy

I hope gio has a steely side because he will need it

Roy MacKay should be a good addition world class player on his day

We should hopefully have more motivation because it’s clear to me the focus had dropped off a cliff

I’m looking forward to it

Nervous, but we’ve looked stale the last few months with the odd exception, the comments from the Feyenoord fan on the H&H podcast are a little worrying but hopefully GVB has evolved from then in is managerial approach.

Well, SG’s contract was up in 6 months in any case and who knows if it would have been extended. The earlier buzz that surrounded the club and the team was beginning to wane and that was being reflected on the playing field. For me, Brondby was the tipping point. It was so important to us, and our finances, to win. And it was very definitely winnable. But frankly we just didn’t turn up.

So, it’s very difficult to say if our prospects are better or worse under GVB. What I would say is that I feel more relaxed not having a manager who is just waiting for the call to Anfield………..or Villa for that matter.
No it wasn't.

Cautiously optimistic.

Things were looking up a little on the pitch, especially with Kent back and on form, but were obviously not right with the management team behind the scenes.

I genuinely think it would have been great to hang onto Michael Beale in some role for continuity, but clearly that was never going to happen.

The board and DoF have played a blinder, and whereas any new manager is a risk, they cannot cannot be faulted with the process and decisiveness shown. We, as a club, are where we are in the world, especially in terms of the league we are in and the finances associated with it.

In my opinion, GVB is definitely the best we could get, ticks so many boxes, and as others have said, is potentially an upgrade on Gerrard.

Football is football, anything could happen, but I can’t think of any way this could have been handled better, and that fills me with optimism.

Back