Do you still have faith in Phil?

Will Phil get this right?

• Total voters
Unless people on here come up with a list of new managers and players that can come in and try the much spoken, get off to a flier, then there's no point in discussing this.

People laugh at the yoyo manager clubs, we are now one of them. Keep it going and celtic will be over the horizon and far away.
the history of football shows us that constantly changing managers is never a good thing for a club and exercising patience can be great. We need to give him a few transfer windows to weed out the shit (most of this team) and bring in a few new players for most positions.

That’s going to take time and we need to be patient and support him or, as you say, they’ll be miles ahead.

We've got a pile of bottlers in our squad (or can't be arsed)
. already seen two managers gone we need to stick
Imo
The director of football should be noticing this if fans can he must surely see the issues

The players have well overstayed their welcome
Bigger and better players move on after a few years and top managers don't hesitate to shift them to stop their team going stale
Exactly what we have become even 2 years ago
Problem is we signed players on lengthy contracts and high wages

Was

Was Oliver Glasner ever a serious candidate? He's started well at Crystal Palace with a clear idea of how he wants his team to play
Muscat couldn't get this team that's mainly average if we're honest and the better players injured playing like ange postigoglue mrk2

The director of football should be noticing this if fans can he must surely see the issues

The players have well overstayed their welcome
Bigger and better players move on after a few years and top managers don't hesitate to shift them to stop their team going stale
Exactly what we have become even 2 years ago
Problem is we signed players on lengthy contracts and high wages
Koppen only arrived in Jan.

The issue is Tav and Goldson are going nowhere on their wages at their ages. Nobody is paying that bar Tav going to Saudi, which he isn't.

I think we will be stuck with them 2 more years, even if on the bench, which has a knock on to who we can afford to bring in.

I 100% back the manager. He inherited a squad of serial losers and needs to be given the summer to hopefully ship them out and bring in his own players. Then we can decide.

Constantly changing managers is pointless if the same players are there. Who seem to be happy to throw the manager under the bus

What has he actually done that’s remarkable that Beale didn’t do? Betis away. Won a LC, without needing to beat Celtic. That lot are the worst Celtic side since Lennon’s in the Covid season, which is a large part of why we were even back in a title race in the first place.

He’s done what Beale got slated for and not won a meaningful game against that lot.

On the other hand the team are ravaged by injuries and plagued with the old cowards sprinkled with dross from Beale’s summer bonanza and Wilson’s the year before.

I’m willing to give him time, as it’s way too early to be calling for his head. But I’m not exactly blown away with what I’ve seen so far.
Saying we done what Beale git slated for isn't really right
Beale bought a load a players to play a formation and scapped it after a couple of games

With Beale in charge they would be 20points clear

Koppen only arrived in Jan.

The issue is Tav and Goldson are going nowhere on their wages at their ages. Nobody is paying that bar Tav going to Saudi, which he isn't.

I think we will be stuck with them 2 more years, even if on the bench, which has a knock on to who we can afford to bring in.
I think a Championship team would buy tav

Goldson couldn't get a team when he was free now on apparently 40k madness

I’ll be brutally honest I’ve seen enough that I don’t think he can turn it around in time to get the sack before Christmas.

We have to rebuild and it things may have to get worse before it gets better, but no manager will be kept on if they keep getting results and displays like that against Celtic.

Cup final might buy him time with the board and some of the support if not and he gets beat with ease again in the first old firm next season - it’ll be be DeJa Vu we have seen it before. M

McInnes will be in for Christmas.

I’ll be brutally honest I’ve seen enough that I don’t think he can turn it around in time to get the sack before Christmas.

We have to rebuild and it things may have to get worse before it gets better, but no manager will be kept on if they keep getting results and displays like that against Celtic.

Cup final might buy him time with the board and some of the support if not and he gets beat with ease again in the first old firm next season - it’ll be be DeJa Vu we have seen it before. M

We need about 6 or 7 starters and that's no exaggeration

He needs his own group and he'll get it with so many leaving at the end of the season.

Good thing (you hope) is, if it doesn't work out, he can't say he wasn't backed. They'll need to back him and then some with all the players leaving on freedom of contract and duds being permanently injured or just passed their sell by date.

If he fails to deliver the Scottish Cup then I think alarm bells will start ringing. Especially if Lundstram is anywhere near the starting 11. Hopefully Yilmaz is fit and we put Sterling in the middle.

The wide positions are what they are just now. Sterling is needed elsewhere.

I don’t like this “can’t beat Celtic” narrative people are pinning to him already.

One draw at Ibrox where I felt we should probably have won in the 2nd half.

The other two games were away defeats - I’m afraid whoever you put in the dugout is going to lose at that place with the tools at his disposal.

It’s far too early to try and make out that he “can’t beat Celtic” or something

The irony of McInnes having the same amount of wins against them as the last three Rangers managers combined.

Definitely having doubts and it's frankly hard to believe that there are some who aren't.
Not prioritising a No 9 in January but persisting with Dessers.
Saying he wants Lundstram on a new contract. (Even without his 2 brain farts yesterday the Celtic midfield were pissing themselves at this imposter)
Long ball 1960s tactics.
Surrendering the midfield every time we play the scum.
I sincerely hope a big turnover of the squad will lead to him addressing these glaring errors.
If not I'm afraid we start all over again.

I don’t like this “can’t beat Celtic” narrative people are pinning to him already.

The other two games were away defeats - I’m afraid whoever you put in the dugout is going to lose at that place with the tools at his disposal.

If we lose the final, I don't think your opinion will be shared by many.

Most managers are stubborn but yesterday everyone could see what was happening, we continue to let them pass through us, they're hitting shot after shot unchallenged, we could see it, why couldn't he?

Benfica at Ibrox, how many times did they break on us, he played a high risk game against a better opponent, we could see it, why couldn't he?

There are just little things that are giving me the fear with him.

And with the two goals start they are always gifted by the players.

Leader in the group? Sauntering around letting his man run off him time and time again today. Then completely selling the jerseys with a reckless challenge.

JL is miles off what we need. A monumental waste of wages.
The fact that Rangers supporters disagree with this is absolutely embarrassing.
If anyone can be arsed watch yesterday's game 6 minutes in.
His attempt to match and then chase James Forrest have me cringing yet.
If he gets a new contract we're absolutely fkd.

If we lose the final, I don't think your opinion will be shared by many.

I’m sure it won’t.

But the way the wind is blowing at the minute it’s difficult to envisage any other outcome.

Then the first game next season will be away of course.

And of course by the time the clocks go back we’ll have hounded a manager who knows how to win titles out the door.

Then we can have this conversation again in May 2025 when Celtic have cruised to the next title

He will be gone next season in my opinion.

We have seen it before and have become quite accustomed to it looking back at our managers in the last 8 years or so.

The unwillingness to learn from fundamentals in the Scottish game and bizarre press/media comments is just for starters.

We are in this cycle of hiring a guy. He’ll initially get a bounce and do okay. Losers in the squad revert to type. Manager gets time to bring in his own players. Said players are diddies. And repeat.

I wonder what the board have planned next as we have completely lost our identity as a club.

Muscat couldn't get this team that's mainly average if we're honest and the better players injured playing like ange postigoglue mrk2
This is surely why Clement has set them up as direct and as a basic as he does, keep it simple, keep it direct. The players aren't of the ability to play a high press, quick passing game. I'm sure if that's the style of player we had then we wouldn't see the directness we play.

I’m sure it won’t.

But the way the wind is blowing at the minute it’s difficult to envisage any other outcome.

Then the first game next season will be away of course.

And of course by the time the clocks go back we’ll have hounded a manager who knows how to win titles out the door.

Then we can have this conversation again in May 2025 when Celtic have cruised to the next title
You seem to accept that being away from home is validation for losing?
If we lose the cup final, lose at Parkhead and are trailing in the league his position will certainly be tenuous. If we play well and are leading in the league, he most definitely won't be sacked.
Beating Celtic is a much more important part of his remit than you seem to realise.

He has been trying to fix problems with an empty tool box , the main reason that we were so enthused by him at the start was because most would say " he hasn't even got his own players yet "

U can't then turn that when those players return to type and blame the manager , albeit I do accept he has got some things wrong recently , all managers do.

For me he has earned the summer and at least next season with " his squad"

Btw there is a team down south who in desperation for success ignore a core issue ( the players ) and chop and change managers - that team is man united, how's it went for them?

You seem to accept that being away from home is validation for losing?
If we lose the cup final, lose at Parkhead and are trailing in the league his position will certainly be tenuous. If we play well and are leading in the league, he most definitely won't be sacked.
Beating Celtic is a much more important part of his remit than you seem to realise.

I think the issue you and others are having is you genuinely believe in magic wands.

You think the next guy will come in and everything will magically fall into place, the old firm victories flowing.

You’d rather ignore the painful reality - there’s a shocking run going on in this fixture that far pre-dates Clement’s arrival and will likely linger on beyond his departure, because revolving doors managers actually sets us back constantly.

I think the issue you and others are having is you genuinely believe in magic wands.

You think the next guy will come in and everything will magically fall into place, the old firm victories flowing.

You’d rather ignore the painful reality - there’s a shocking run going on in this fixture that far pre-dates Clement’s arrival and will likely linger on beyond his departure, because revolving doors managers actually sets us back constantly.
I don't want him sacked YET.
However his deficiencies which are well documented on several threads are definitely cause for concern.
He will not and should not be given endless license if it becomes apparent that he refuses to learn lessons.
For me, if he gives John Lundstram a new contract it's only a matter of time.

This is surely why Clement has set them up as direct and as a basic as he does, keep it simple, keep it direct. The players aren't of the ability to play a high press, quick passing game. I'm sure if that's the style of player we had then we wouldn't see the directness we play.
That's the way I see it mate

It’s not, he has not beat Celtic yet

If we fail to beat them in the cup final Clement is under massive pressure going into next season

Yes. He won the league cup at the first attempt and could, although unlikely, win us the Scottish cup. If he does that he is 2 from 3.

There have been some strange selections/ decisions of late but with our players dropping like flies constantly I can imagine it has been very hard to organise a team. He has also inherited a team that are famous for collapsing, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that they yet again found a way to lose.

I will though be very concerned if his first few signings aren’t Shankland and a physical unit of a midfielder/ defender.

100% behind him but anyone who says that there aren't concerns regarding him and that it's all the players fault is deluding themselves.

The summer is huge for Clement. Everything he has criticised regarding the previous regime he'll need to fix or change - preparation, fitness, structure, recruitment, contracts. We have to be better at every aspect. He's spoken about how it's going to be different on his watch so now is the time to back that up.

We need to see a clear structure and playing style. If Clement wants us to be a long ball team(and right now all signs point to it) then buy players who can play long ball effectively and drill the team to the extent they know exactly what they're doing and what their job entails. We cannot go into next season where the defence is shelling aimless balls to the corners to play percentages or at the head of a striker who can't win the ball in the air in a duel.

Last edited:
Warburton got us passing them off the park at Hampden with a midfield 3 of Ball, Haliday and Holt. Every manager has a style of football regardless of the quality of player they have available and at the moment Clement's 4231 and long balls seems to be his only tactic.

Between him and Koppen they are going to need an outstanding transfer window over the summer.

But we need to stick with him and back them.

If he plays James Tavernier in the cup final then serious doubts need to be considered regarding his ability to take us forward to the level we need to be at. I make that statement with regard to the bravery required to be a Rangers manager. No decent Rangers manager becomes that by playing it safe when it’s obvious that a change is required.

I don't remember them dealing with the same injury issues, clawing back a league deficit, winning a trophy or wasting millions on guff
Pretty sure they both had plenty of injury problems and pretty sure Gio won a trophy - and actually beat Celtic along the way which Phil didn't have to.

His league record is now worse than Beale's, only difference is Celtic didn't drop any points last season to allow Beale to close the gap.

Is the boards hands not tied either with ffp etc
That may be the case I'm not sure but if we fail to properly back Clement the same thing will happen where he leaves or is sacked and we start again whilst Celtic continue to dominate. Our board need to be careful because the fans will not accept being 2nd best.

That may be the case I'm not sure but if we fail to properly back Clement the same thing will happen where he leaves or is sacked and we start again whilst Celtic continue to dominate. Our board need to be careful because the fans will not accept being 2nd best.
Well see if the same culprits would rap the stupid mistakes and show a bit of fight we wouldn’t be 2nd best

There was a very big thread about 12 months ago started by Empire saying the exact same about Beale.

As things stand Clement’s record is no better than Beale’s last season.
How many league cups did Beale win?

Hard to tell until he's had a summer transfer under his belt. We're in pretty much the same position as we were last year. He loses the first game with them next season and he'll be getting chased.

The facts are that he didn't even need to beat them to win the league and we couldn't manage that due to Motherwell, Ross County & Dundee.
No manager survives not beating them if we don't win titles.
Every club on sacking a manager usually gets a new manager bounce & the worry is is that all that we actually got?
Hearts & Kilmarnock have both shown up better v them than we have so again that's another worry as it shows up our main rivals for how poor they really are and we stilp couldn't take advantage and we appear to have a manager unable to learn from not only his own mistakes in OF games but how others have made life awkward for them.
Injuries (which have been horrific) or not we have no style of play & every manager needs a footballing ethos. We have no real control over games. Our start to games in general is poor. So how any fan can be anything other than worried doesn't make sense to me.
Can anyone see something Clement has improved us on?
We were 7 points behind and now we are 6 points behind.
We watched the football under Beale and as he initially was picking up points the general style of play was poor and eventually it caught up with us we can't see that happen again.
We need our manager to believe never mind our players & right now I don't think Clement believed we were winning yesterday

We get posts every week suggesting 'X' player is dropped & 'Y' player needs rested
Valid as these points may be - it's rarely ever possible to implement them due to the relatively poor quality & small quantity of alternatves

Add the constant disruption due to injuries & I'd defy most managers to make a substantially better job of things
In fact I'd credit PC with achieving a better league point total than any of our last 3 managers would have done in similar circumstances

PC obviously has an eye for slotting players jnto unfamiliar roles when necessary & making the most of all sorts of adverse conditions
But IMO judging him on this season's fiasco inherited from Beale & compounded by one of our worst injury lists - is not entirely fair

I'm also left wondering what PC would be like given a chance to start his own pre-season with one or two more of his own choice recruits - resulting in a more settled side if nothing else
IMO he's earned the right & I still believe in his ability

I don't want him sacked YET.
However his deficiencies which are well documented on several threads are definitely cause for concern.
He will not and should not be given endless license if it becomes apparent that he refuses to learn lessons.
For me, if he gives John Lundstram a new contract it's only a matter of time.

Lundstrum isn't getting a new contract. He's going to Turkey, hence why he's played like a cow for 6 weeks and not tried a leg

He’s earned his opportunity to take this team forward for me. There is always a but he needs to have a discernible style of playing which gets us fans invested & enjoy watching. It’s going to take time ie 2-3 transfer windows to get players he requires/requested to keep improving us. Massive job & massive pressure he’s under now esp with a cup final approaching against that lot who he’s not managed to overcome.. he wins that & for me he gets more credit in the bank going into next season. If we fall away for the rest of the season then he’s under so much pressure it usually ends with managers making more & more errors which then ultimately cost them their jobs. I hope he’s here for the foreseeable winning everything there is to win.

Lundstrum isn't getting a new contract. He's going to Turkey, hence why he's played like a cow for 6 weeks and not tried a leg

But the manager wanted him on a sizeable contract for the next 3/4 years even though he's 30 and on the decline.

Only the board refusing to meet Lundstrams wage demands put a stop to it.

Know for a fact we wouldn’t. Gollum couldn’t get the red card out his pocket fast enough today, he was rattling like an excited junkie.
The speed at which he showed the red doesn’t remotely change the fact that its a red though. Its just looking for an excuse to be annoyed. Its the reddest card.

I’m very much still firmly in the ‘Yes’ camp, but yesterday was the first time any form of alarm bell started to ring.

I’m less inclined to blame him and more the players for the Motherwell, Ross county and Dundee games. The players on the pitch for those games were more than good enough to win comfortably.

Yesterday though marks the second time in a row he’s completely got wrong his setup for an Old Firm game. I can excuse one time, but that needs to be learned from.

The Scottish Cup final is absolutely massive for Clement and the club. He really needs to demonstrate in that he can get a handle of Rodgers and these matches. He’s not getting sacked if we lose it, but he will be under pressure from the off next season unless we make a flying start .

Last edited:
Back