Do you still have faith in Phil?

Will Phil get this right?

• Total voters
He needs to be given more time but I'm struggling to think of any positives to believe he will get it right.
1. No style of play
2. Doesn't believe in a midfield
3. Not willing to learn from mistakes
4. Some strange comments in interviews recently
5. Appears to have favourites
6. Strange team selections and subs
Are what have me having doubts.

The positives are that he got us back in the title race but when broken down that was not by beating them which is when it really mattered.
I felt at first he was going to be really tough on all the players with Cantwell being hooked in the European game being an example but as I said he appears to have favourites which never sits well with me.
We've had about three good performances since he came in. That's it.

He wasn’t dropping the captain when coming in midway through the season. That’s what I’m clinging onto but if Tavernier is in the same position next season and is a first choice player then I’ll have serious doubts on his ability to be a decent manager.

In the “alarm bells” camp here.

Positives: Got us winning again after the Beale shambles despite having a terrible squad to select from and won the League Cup (against an admittedly dreadful Aberdeen side). Got us back into a terrific position in the league before the annual early-Spring collapse set in. Some good results in Europe.

Negatives: With limited exceptions the football has been generally turgid, he continually makes baffling decisions in terms of team selection and shape and seems stubborn to change despite flaws staring him in the face. Less important obviously but has made some absolutely baffling statements at press conferences of late also.

Key things for me are (i) how much of a rebuild is the summer going to be/how much will he be backed and (ii) will he have the balls to jettison perennial failures in the squad from the fabled “leadership group”.

Seeing him buttering up Lundstram today having literally cost us the league title doesn’t fill me with hope that he’s got the ruthless streak that is required.

If he calls out Collum as a cheat, then he has a chance.

On the field, it looks dodgy.

4-3-3 in the cup final please.

Right behind Phil. That team of cowardly useless cants (1-2 exceptions) not so much.
Who Phil gets shot of and who he signs will be a deciding factor on how I feel this time next year.

If we start with the so called leadership group then he'll be down the road. Let's hope he can build his own team asap

We all know what's required , we need rid of the players who've lost the league year in year out ,it's a mentality thing. Unfortunately it's hard to remove all the deadwood in one swoop. At least we know 2 or 3 will be gone.

Absolutely because I don’t think any manager in the world would’ve won us the title this season from where we were.

He’s made some questionable team selections and subs but he has stressed that he has very specific criteria for fitness etc for players to be involved in his teams. We aren’t fully privy to his reasoning and nor should we be really.

He has earned the right to get his own players in and make a proper fist of it with everyone pulling in the same direction.

I am behind Phil completely. Mostly I believe it, but partly because any other option for the foreseeable is unthinkable, and totally destabilizing for the club.

When you're going through hell, keep going etc.

I think part of the answer will come in how we set up in the cup final. If Lawrence and or Lundstram are cm for it then he would appear slightly clueless. I don't think they will so hopefully its the start of a positive run of results against them!!

There was a very big thread about 12 months ago started by Empire saying the exact same about Beale.

As things stand Clement’s record is no better than Beale’s last season.
He has more goodwill than Beale because of the league cup win , correctly so.

I had concerns in the Aberdeen game in November when Tav scored the injury time equaliser as his decisions were baffling, but, he won me over and now we need to give him time. This league has been won by the best worst team. I think Phil will be the man who rips this squad apart, we may need to shop in a different market than we really want to, but I still have faith Phil will deliver.

Didn't like him from the word go. Told I was wrong because I had a stereotype in my mind of what a Rangers Manager should be like. Well it turns out I was right. This guy is going to spunk our money on flim flam trash and we'll be fucked again next year. The board should be hunting out a replacement.
Alarm bells are ringing, we need a gerrard style reboot, but I doubt we have it in us to do…board are as culpable though
Remember that Gerrard didn't take any shite from anyone. That's how a Rangers Manager has to be, not like Clement, who seems like a soft touch.

Part of me can't believe this is even up for debate, the other part of me is surprised it has taken as long. It's a nonsense. 3, maybe 4, of the starting 11 from today are likely to start or even be here next year. We've played almost a month with no natural wingers and Wright and McCausland as the back up off the bench when we need goals neither of whom are known for. Yilmaz being injured caused us almost as many issues as Sima, Cortes and Matondo being out did. Now, after today we are down to one fit centre back. We've been forced to play players who are out of contract shortly. It's been a shitshow for months yet he's still kept us in the race until today. He gets minimum the full season next season and a chance to not only build his own team but an entire squad.

We had almost identical threads to this last year with Beale with people blaming all the defeats on Gio's pre season and injuries. It was claimed it would all turn around just as soon as he got his own players in.

This question needs qualified with a set of expectations.

What is “getting it right”? The league title next season? Because a lot of posters will argue he needs 2/3 more windows.

Sure, he might win the league next season. It might also take him 3 years. For all those who argue he needs time you need to define the amount of time and argue why it’s appropriate. And consider the fact that every season we don’t win the league we fall further behind financially.

There is a split within the support. Every within every fan. We would love Rangers to be a club that could hire “project” managers and be able to go through periods of transition, but we also can’t abide losing more trophies to them than we win, because being successful is part of our identity.

The unfortunate truth is that if we want to overcome them we may have to start holding the same demands they do - that is immediate success in the league for any new manager. 3 out their last 4 appointments have done it - the other got sacked before the season was out.

This is why managers shouldn’t take on underperforming top end expectation sides midseason. They are lumbered with an underachieving side, who obviously get managers the sack and have limited time, resources and chance to repair the damage. They may get a bounce they may even make significant strides but unless they perform the miraculous the chances are they are going to be tainted by the near inevitable failure.

Now isn’t the time for alarm bells. Not with thst squad and more importantly, those injuries. We can’t keep sacking managers. Lets see how it goes when he signs his own players

Absolutely zero today was the final straw for me.

3 games in a row given the mentally challengeds a 2 goal head start and not changed the midfield where the game is one.

He’s gone full Pedro with some of his subs and interviews now to.

He’s a defeat away against them for the majority of the support realising he is not the man for the job.

Major alarm bells for me.

He's now done nothing Beale and Gio didn't do when they first took over, and he doesn't seem to understand the glaring midfield issue against them.

It's worrying.
Totally concur mate lose the cup final and he’s likely to be under more pressure than any predecessor of recent times. I so wish Gerrard had been given the backing he wanted and that he had stayed put.

Absolutely because I don’t think any manager in the world would’ve won us the title this season from where we were.

He’s made some questionable team selections and subs but he has stressed that he has very specific criteria for fitness etc for players to be involved in his teams. We aren’t fully privy to his reasoning and nor should we be really.

He has earned the right to get his own players in and make a proper fist of it with everyone pulling in the same direction.
No manager in the world can beat Dundee and Ross County.

Support Clement, yes definitely.

Let's be honest, the guy inherited a massive shitshow that Beale created before he was jottered. To get us to that game today, where we could've been joint top o' the League was amazing (No, I'm not forgetting Ross County and Dundee, still trying to get ma head round that). Luck for us this season has been horrendous, with the amount of injuries we've had and underperforming players when it's time to get the sleeves up and get stuck-in. The guy's had to more or less work with one arm behind his back, as every other match we'd lose another player to injury.

We've got one trophy in the cabinet, with hopefully another to follow in the Scottish Cup Final. Clement will be feeling much more scunnered as we are tonight after we fell short again. Yes, he picks the team, but probably his biggest fault has been his loyalty to players who have been hot and cold all season, Lundstrum probably the biggest culprit. I think we all know there's going to be a 'clear out' this season between players out of contract, players at the end of loans and a lot who are not doing it.

The guy's gonnae get the chance to bring in some new players and shape his own team, as we all know we're not loaded, but with some creative negotiating and support from the Directors, we should be able to bring in some new blood. Only worry for me is Jack Butland, the boy's showed what a talent he is and there's no doubt the sharks will be circling come the end o' the season. The boy loves it up here, but as we all know, money talks.

I'm happy to give PC the chance to build his own team, we're no daft, it'll no happen straight away, but I think the guy more than deserves it. One thing though Phil, don't let that f***ing eejit Lundstrum anywhere near the team for the Cup Final, loyalty's one thing, getting shat on from a great height's another.

Beale had better players to call on

A manager with the amount of injuries we have had will always struggle, even if those players are better on paper than our oppositions, so many individual components that impact it

Diomande and Cortes look like good players, more like them and keeping players we do have fit and we will be fine, tbh.
If what your 2 first choice wingers in Sima and Cortes out which means Sterling would play midfield or CB even though he does well at time Dessers has had to carry the can and Yilmaz fit you see difference he makes agree with the midfield it’s been poor 90% of the season

He's worked wonders so far. If you said to me in October that he'd come in and have us top our EL group, possibly win both cups and we'd have a title race on our hands with 5-6 games to go I'd have laughed in your face.

We haven't had any of (arguably) our best front 3 play together at all in Sima, Danilo and Cortes. No Yilmaz in the run in when he hit great form. Going into games with 3rd and 4th choice centre backs and even today having to shift Sterling into CB because we are literally out of defenders. No Matondo/Sima/Cortes for long stretches meaning we are starting Wright and McCausland in huge games despite being maybe 3rd and 4th in the pecking order. No Ryan Jack. The list goes on.

He's not perfect and he's made mistakes but given what he's had to deal with so far and what he has available to him I think he's done a good job.

This is the worry for me. His tactics seem to be to lob it up the park and hope something happens. If he guts the undropables from the squad he deserves a bit of time but I am worried about the regression.
It's his "go to" thing far too often.

Launch it high and hope for the best. It's brutal - and it never works.

Thr guy just doesn't seem to learn on obvious failings.

We have to be realistic. These players are some of the worst performers and bottlers we’ve ever had.

But such is the reality of being Rangers manager, you can’t keep losing to them and expect the fans to remain on side.

We lost today because of his starting lineup and 2 of his undroppable players. Not cheating.

A penalty that never was today, thankfully saved, and a red card for an incident at most a yellow every other week.

What else would you call it from Collum, incompetence. ?

Keeps picking the wrong team for games, when you continually make subs at half time that's a worry. Hope he turns it around.

Folk have lost the plot, he’s done a good job with a shite team made considerably worse with injuries.

I voted no.
I don't expect him to be fired but unfortunately given the evidence already I expect more of the same garbage, mental team selections and formations to continue until the inevitable eventually happens whenever it does.

Back