Docherty

Really pleased for him, seems to be standing out in that league which is all he could try and do.

I still think there is more to come from him but he needs to keep working on his game down there until next season imo.

Leave him there for the season.
I really hoping you're saying that for all the right reasons!
The lad has all the potential to be a regular Rangers player but at this stage of his career that's all it was...potential.
Some saw his loan out as some kind of exit strategy but most on here (and most importantly the player himself) saw it as an opportunity to get regular first team games and prove himself worthy.
He's certainly done that big style!
Young Greg will come back a more accomplished player who I'm sure will be more than capable of staking a claim in our first eleven.

I really hoping you're saying that for all the right reasons!
The lad has all the potential to be a regular Rangers player but at this stage of his career that's all it was...potential.
Some saw his loan out as some kind of exit strategy but most on here (and most importantly the player himself) saw it as an opportunity to get regular first team games and prove himself worthy.
He's certainly done that big style!
Young Greg will come back a more accomplished player who I'm sure will be more than capable of staking a claim in our first eleven.
He’s better playing every week down there than warming the bench up here,he’ll come back a far better player for next season.

I was able to watch the game today and he stood out, he was the standout player on the field.

In saying that the level of football today wasn't good. Very scrappy, lots of 'amateurish' football, I'm not convinced he'll do a job for us.
Where he is might be his level.

Leave him where he is, getting games. I do think we could use him right at this moment, but once the transfer window is done, we might not need him.

Really want the boy to be a big player for us, but he's in a good place so we'd be as well letting him finish the season.

Good to see the lad doing well down there, but trust me , League one is rotten.I have hospitality tickets for every Sunderland game, so i see a lot of games in this league and imo its not as good a standard as the Spl.

I was able to watch the game today and he stood out, he was the standout player on the field.

In saying that the level of football today wasn't good. Very scrappy, lots of 'amateurish' football, I'm not convinced he'll do a job for us.
I seen Peterborough at Sunderland earlier on thus season, they're one of the better teams in League one but i'd say they'd be bottom half in the Spl

Seems to be doing all that the management team would expect. If he is not going to play regularly if he comes back in January,he should be left to do a full season and be ready for next season.

Hate all the negativity from some fans regarding greg he was a standout at hamilton when we signed him. Look how bad the whole team was when he signed and the 6 months he played in the first team the lad didnt stand a chance and his confidence like many others took a beating. I honestly believe when he comes back to us we`re gong to see a massive improvement and boy will be a mainstay in the team for years to come watch this space

He’s a midfielder who gets up and down the park and not shy at having a pop at goal.His ball retention needs work hence why he was loaned out but I said in the summer I would have kept him to work on it here.
Goalscoring midfielders are a premium to buy and right now we can’t afford one of a high calibre

The kid will be a star for us

Bring him back next season and he will help us with 2 in a row

He's regularly scoring from midfield at a decent level. Shooting from outside the box.

We need to be selfish. All shoulders to the wheel for the push to May. We need different options and he's our player and he's in form.

To be fair mate the keeper virtually threw the ball in, it wasn't a great strike.

I like Docherty and I still have high hopes for him, but he's better developing and working on his game down there for the rest of the season.

It's not a great standard and Shrewsbury are one of the poorest teams in the league.

Holt is captaining a better side in the same division and getting great reviews from Barton.

How many want him back?

Remember we play in Scotland?

Remember we've just been competing with teams with good European pedigrees and Greg is playing with a team fighting against relegation to league 2.

Which team would you say are playing at the better standard?

The old ‘when someone’s out the team they become better’ syndrome.

Let’s take a measured view on this, it’s great to see he’s playing well, scoring goals and is rated by fans down there. However the standard is dross and his team is lower half of the table. His goal yesterday was a shot from 20-25 yards that any spfl keeper would have saved easily. His pass for the goal was fine but it wasn’t messi-esq and the forward still had a lot to do. I don’t like being negative on here but let’s give the boy the space to develop more outside of Glasgow.

It’s great he’s doing well but he’s unlikely to be the answer....at this stage.

Leave him there for the second half of the season or see if we can get him into a club in the league above and see how he fares then. If we get in Davis them it’s unlikely we’ll need him, we’re probably looking at 21 games in the second half of the season with a number of free midweeks to aid recovery.

Remember we've just been competing with teams with good European pedigrees and Greg is playing with a team fighting against relegation to league 2.

Which team would you say are playing at the better standard?

In fairness they have only just been promoted from there and have a new manager this season as I recall, hence they are struggling.

The FF experts had written him off at the start of the season, now he’s the answer to our midfield problems :D

In fairness they have only just been promoted from there and have a new manager this season as I recall, hence they are struggling.

They're struggling and it's going to be a battle for them to stay up this season mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

You talk some pish!

I'd still put him on loan in the league where he's expected to ply his trade. He's then close enough to watch and he can maybe do us a few favours results wise against our rivals.

I'm not sure it'd be a healthy weight on his 22 year old shoulders for a player with minimal game time at Ibrox to be brought back with the sole purpose of solving our attacking midfield problem.

He's made 22 appearances down there, a few of those being minutes off the bench, for a Shrewsbury team who only just got promoted to the league and who are not particularly great.

He had now scored 7 goals and his assists are in double figures.

I think it's safe to say he a few levels above where he is now, but the game time and change of league is really helping him on as a player. I predict at some point next season he will be one of the first names on our team sheet

Couldn't give a flying f*^k what league he's playing in and what standard his team are at. Only interested in whether he has the mental strength and ability to do a job for Rangers. I think he has every chance of making it but if he's not going to get regular game time with us for the rest of this season he's better staying where he is.

The constant arguments about who players play for and the league they play in do my box in. If FF was around years ago players like Davie Cooper, John Brown, Bobby Russel, Stuart Munro, Gordon Smith would have been deemed not good enough for us by the the FF experts.

I mean you get the Docherty signed from Hamilton playing with Shrewsbury, not good enough mantra. Then you get Arfield, signed from Burnley, a team that finished 7th in the EPL, not good enough. The place is bonkers at times.

He's doing well on his loan and will hopefully continue to improve, however he's not good enough for us at the moment. Bring him back and we'd be as well with Dodoo and Holt back who are both doing well.

Back