Does Jon McLaughlin come into the managers thoughts after Greegsy's error yesterday

I know a lot of people can't see past Greegsy for his shot stopping, but he should be coming and claiming that cross yesterday, big Jon would've won us the points, and, in my opinion, is an all round better keeper now that Allan is getting on a bit, I love Allan, but his frailties are now showing more now.

Our goalkeeper is not the problem.

I know a lot of people can't see past Greegsy for his shot stopping, but he should be coming and claiming that cross yesterday, big Jon would've won us the points, and, in my opinion, is an all round better keeper now that Allan is getting on a bit, I love Allan, but his frailties are now showing more now.
I love McGregor, but I think so yes.

That looks easier to catch than punch. I thought so yesterday but that angle confirms it. An easy catch for a goalkeeper.
Yeah looks that way,it's mental that GK's these days just go to punch everything even nailed on catches,Chris Woods was the master at it before his injury.

You clearly have blanked the Malmo games from your memory. I honestly don’t remember any save in either game. I think they had 5 shots scored four goals and his positioning/reactions for 3 of them were maybe not they would have been last season.

He is 40 in a few months it only natural he isn’t the standard he was last season.

We aren't talking about whether he is at the standard of last season. We are talking about him being the best keeper available to us.

And he is. By a mile.

No way. Seems crazy after one mistake (big one I know) but if we bombed out others in the team for a mistake that led to a goal then we’d be playing the kids a long time ago.

Had we taken our chances to win the game, his error would pale into insignificance.

He made several important stops to keep us in front.

He keeps the gloves.

No. McGregor made a James Hunt of it but our Captain was posted missing again. The Hearts player just walked in and did not even have to jump. When is Gerrard going to realise that he cannot defend ?
McGregor and Gordon are probably the best 2 keepers at shot stopping in the UK.

We have two great keepers.

But McGregor has a mistake in him every game and McLauchlin has had some lapses in his recent appearances.

I know the only thing that really counts is that McGregor made an arse of the lost goal yesterday (why does he prefer to punch than catch?), but he made a couple of great saves before hand.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad its not my decision.

We can solve the dilemma by scoring more goals so that late strikes by the opposition are just consolations,that would do for me.

McLaughlin has more to offer. Our game is much better suited to him between the sticks. His distribution and the command of his area outweigh being a slightly lesser shot stopper. Love McGregor but I think he should be behind the big man.

We aren't talking about whether he is at the standard of last season. We are talking about him being the best keeper available to us.

And he is. By a mile.

nah, last season McGregor was. There is more to goalkeeping than just stopping shots.

From what I have seen so far this season McGregor isn’t at the same level of last season.

McGregor makes about 3 big errors in a season - that was one of them yesterday and I don’t think it comes close to putting a question mark over him.

The pressure around McGregor comes with his age and how we integrate McLaughlin and/or McCrorie in over the next 18mths.
Changing your goalkeeper is a tricky transition and you need a strong & settled defence to help it work… we are miles away from having a strong & settled defence right now.

No. Goalkeepers make mistakes, it comes with the territory. McGregor may have been at fault for the goal yesterday but he makes very few mistakes and his saves win us points more often that not.

It was one mistake ffs and if we had put away some of those missed chances then it wouldn't even have mattered.

Mcgregors shot stopping is the best in the country but the other parts of his play are a bag or nerves his distribution is shocking but he’s nearly 40 and we should be looking for another keeper to fill his gloves!

McGregor came back to win the league, and possibly play in the CL. With the league won and CL next season possibly being a step too far for him, it must be hard to maintain the same levels of motivation. Certainly rumours I’ve heard are he’s not at the same level (and that’s nothing to do with any mistakes).

Other thing is he had a spinal injury a few years ago (a cist on the spine). He’s been able to manage that but he does need to be playing regularly to do that. That makes alternating keepers difficult although we’ve obviously been trying to manage that.

nah, last season McGregor was. There is more to goalkeeping than just stopping shots.

From what I have seen so far this season McGregor isn’t at the same level of last season.
You're right. He isn't. But he is still the best option. And that's what's being debated.

Back