Does the midfield system need completely revamped?

when hagi plays he’s usually out wide working his socks off, I’d give hagi the freedom that’s usually granted to aribo
From Gerrard's remarks about Bacuna I think he's going to be played midweek. If he's not given that freedom you speak of it'll be a waste.

Agreed.

If we do not win this league and get CL money I worry about the standard we will be able to attract for the midfield given we will post losses and have to sell.

Centre of defence will need replacing too with Goldson and Balogun out of contract.

CL money is massive for the inevitable first 11 rebuild next season.

Both keepers out of contract too.

We’ve got 6 first team regulars out of contract in the summer. Add in Defoe, Barker and Firth.

Itten could see his loan made permanent, Katić too, and you would imagine one of Barišić, Kamara, Kent or Morelos will move on.

A major rebuild required next season.

The 4-3-3 needs a serious rethink or at least needs to be used in the right circumstances.

Theres no point in putting balls in the box for Kent/Morelos/Roofe/Sakala when they up against 6ft+ CBs, its pointless and repetitive as Motherwell proved and also against Malmo putting balls aimlessly into the box in the hope it would make a difference. Why we got rid of Itten IDK??

Id like to see us revert to 4-1-4-1 again with wide players/wingers and 2 midfielders providing an attacking threat from central areas. It may suit Morelos better to link up in the middle than have to go sideways with his back to goal.

The full backs could become the inside forwards when pushing on as Tav tends to do anyway.

We did play well in the 1st half yesterday but we just need a Plan B in games like yesterday that doesnt involve hoofing into the box as Scottish defences live for that. And making like for like subs is key as we lost our shape totally in the last 15 minutes

The midfield are creating very little and stopping even less at the other end this season. Something needs to change

Tell you what the problem is with our midfield.

Davis- free
Arfield- free
Kamara- 50k
Aribo- 200k
Lundstram- free
Bacuna? I'm guessing hardly anything

Now all of them for the money are no brainers. So I'm not saying that, we need to make the most of the pre contract/bosman signings.

But I have said it since Gerrard come in. These types of signings will only take us so far. It's still the only area of the team we haven't invested in
Celtic paid nearly £3m for Turnbull. I wouldn’t swap any of those players for him. Shelling out money doesn’t always mean you get a better player.

We've sleep walked into a midfield rebuild.

Davis - 36 & contract up at the end of the season.

Kamara - Top player that will be moved on soon.

Jack - Always injured.

Arfield - Contract up this season and looks miles off it.

Lundstram - Has it all to prove.

Aribo - Better further forward.

Bacuna - unknown and on a short contract.

Basically if we don't win the league and get CL football we're fu.cked.

With Kent out for a few weeks, why not try a new formation?
Slide the midfield three over and put Patterson or Tavernier in the mid-right
and play 2 up front. Hagi or Aribo in left side midfield spot.
Patterson and Tavernier can overlap and cover for each other, depending on who goes forward.

I get that they offer a lot of protection for the full backs, but for me that's about all they do right now.

For a flat midfield three, I don't think it's particularly strong defensively. The opposition pick up second balls infront of our defence far too easily and find themselves in space they really shouldn't with three midfielders on the park.

Offensively it brings very little as we know. It's no wonder Roofe and Morelos drop so far back. Maybe they're instructed to, but I think a large part of it is the striker not having someone playing in that space behind them.

I don't think it's just a quality thing and we need better players in there, I think the system is just dried out and too easy to play against. How we change it without taking away the full back protection I have no idea though.
The midfield appear to be happy to play in the centre of the park and supply the ball for the two strikers to put the ball in the net. None of the midfield players are driving forward making opportunities for themselves, their happy to look for a pass to a striker and shirk any responsibility.
All the midfield are playing as holding midfielders. Look at the goals Jack got from driving at defences and having a shot from the edge of the box.
Davis is not finding the telling pass and most of the time is to slow at finding his man.
Kamara IMO has totally lost his way and confidence and doesn't try and force his way into the box.
Aribo is talented but like Kamara is struggling to make any impact.

I get that they offer a lot of protection for the full backs, but for me that's about all they do right now.

For a flat midfield three, I don't think it's particularly strong defensively. The opposition pick up second balls infront of our defence far too easily and find themselves in space they really shouldn't with three midfielders on the park.

Offensively it brings very little as we know. It's no wonder Roofe and Morelos drop so far back. Maybe they're instructed to, but I think a large part of it is the striker not having someone playing in that space behind them.

I don't think it's just a quality thing and we need better players in there, I think the system is just dried out and too easy to play against. How we change it without taking away the full back protection I have no idea though.
Did we fail to create chances on Sunday?
If the answer is “no”, (never mind the “if” it’s definitely “no”) then why would there be a need for change?

Agreed.

If we do not win this league and get CL money I worry about the standard we will be able to attract for the midfield given we will post losses and have to sell.

Centre of defence will need replacing too with Goldson and Balogun out of contract.

CL money is massive for the inevitable first 11 rebuild next season.

This is the most important league title ever IMO.

Guaranteed CL money will put Rangers streets ahead of celtic as Gerrard will be given money to spend and rebuild. The opposite will be true if the unthinkable happens.

I can see at several big money ins and outs. If I had a choice to keep one of our big players it would be Morelos every time.

Hopefully Patterson and Bassey will have had good game time by the end of the season and will be a year on in their development and truly ready to take the reigns from Tav and Borna and be huge assets for us. McCrorie may be ready to make the leap to 1st team keeper next season too.

Airfield, Jack, Davis, Lundstraum free transfers!
Kamara 50k
Aribo development fee
Not spent any serious money in midfield!

Back