Dominic Solanke

Bonnyloyal

SunSport exclusively revealed last week, the former England captain was Gers’ No1 target to take charge at Ibrox and will officially start on June 1 on a four- year deal.

Gerrard said: “The first phone call came from Liverpool. They made me aware Rangers had been in touch and wanted to speak to me.

“It wasn’t a call I was expecting. I had a special feeling in my stomach.

“My reply was ‘Yes, I’d like the opportunity to speak to Rangers’.

REUTERS
A loan move for Solanke heads a list of targets for Rangers
“The size of the club, the history, the values this club has, I feel I’m a good fit.

“I feel like me and this club can have a special connection. I’m looking forward to the fun we can have together.

“Before Rangers, I probably would have stayed where I was.

“I had probably as many as eight other opportunities to be a manager, to be a No2, to be a coach, since I came home from Los Angeles.

BET £10 WITH SUN BETS AND GET A FREE £30 BET

“But I never got the right feeling from them.

“When Rangers came, it was a game-changer.

“I love a challenge. I know there will be a lot of scrutiny and pressure, but that’s what I love about being involved in football. Bring it on.”

Gerrard replaces Pedro Caixinha, seven months after the Portuguese coach was sacked, and has a list of transfer targets — headed by Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke on loan.

Interim boss Graeme Murty was sacked earlier this week, meaning Jimmy Nicholl and Jonatan Johansson will take the team for the last three games of the season.

Critics claim Gerrard’s appointment is a gamble, but the man himself said: “I have confidence in my ability.

Not for me. I never like players whose second touch is a tackle. Solanke is not Liverpool material.
Granted I don’t watch as much Liverpool as yourself but isn’t Solanke regarded as one of the top young players in England? He was top goalscorer at the Under 20’s World Cup just a year ago.

With the attacking talent Liverpool have he’s hardly going to get much of an opportunity - maybe the guy needs a run of regular games.

I'm hoping we also go for Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson. It's honestly a perfect move for anyone on the cusp of a move to the Premier League or anyone failing to break into a Premier League squad. There's probably a disproportionate amount of interest and influence in playing well in our league and then getting a move onto England because of the proximity. As a club, we should be fully embracing it and utilising it as much as we possibly can.

I'm hoping we also go for Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson. It's honestly a perfect move for anyone on the cusp of a move to the Premier League or anyone failing to break into a Premier League squad. There's probably a disproportionate amount of interest and influence in playing well in our league and then getting a move onto England because of the proximity. As a club, we should be fully embracing it and utilising it as much as we possibly can.
Only as supplementary players. You don’t want half the side being on loan.

Bears , we are in a whole different ball game now. Our current players have an opportunity beyond what they ever signed up for. Who can step up and play? If they don’t they will forever regret it.
Rossiter, Jack, Docherty and McCrorie will thrive under the new gaffer IMO. I don’t see many (if any) of the rest cutting the mustard.

This stands out for me:

"Before Rangers, I probably would have stayed where I was.

“I had probably as many as eight other opportunities to be a manager, to be a No2, to be a coach, since I came home from Los Angeles.

“But I never got the right feeling from them.

“When Rangers came, it was a game-changer.

“I love a challenge. I know there will be a lot of scrutiny and pressure, but that’s what I love about being involved in football. Bring it on."

I get the right feeling that the new gaffer is going to be a success!

Really? Solanke is a brilliant prospect, but I’m assuming you’re basing this on a few sub appearances on TV? Surely you must be?
It's difficult as the front three at Liverpool pick themselves but he also doesn't really fit the system. He is a big lad who doesn't have the skills of Mané, Firmino or Salah, so it's hard to see how he will get a chance.

I would like us to get a couple of French Afro guys, powerful who can play, like the mhanks got with Eduardo and Nitcham, they are doing too well with PSG for my liking, we need guys who can make an impact in Old Firm games, instead of the likes of Cummings who isn’t good enough when all is said and done.

Must admit was concerned he could have went to celtic and chuffed he didn't (hindsight he was never gonna go) but what a signing he'd be

From (and no disrespect) Herrera, Hardie, Miller as options to this is a step towards 55

Solanke and Morelos would be devestating.

Young, powerful, hungry strike force.

Solanke would be seen on the same level as Dembele. It would be a ridiculously good signing.

They will never get another chance to play under a Gerrard.

We need to utilise the Liverpool academy.
This is bang on the money

We have a manager who players that we had no chance of coming to Rangers
Are now wanting to come and play under a world class man

It won’t be about money !
It will be about playing for him
At a massive institution

And that’s why

They are scared

REAL SCARED

Back