Donegal Council give Martin O’Neill permission to renovate Battle Of The Boyne veteran’s house

mdingwall

Administrator
Interesting wee read.

FORMER IRELAND SOCCER BOSS RESTORING ‘LANDLORD’S HOUSE’

Former Ireland soccer boss restoring ‘Landlord’s House’

WORK has commenced on the restoration of a historic Dunfanaghy building 90 years after it was abandoned.
The property, known locally as the ‘Landlord’s House’, was purchased recently by former Republic of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill.
Horn Head House, as the stately manor was originally named, was purchased in 1700 by the Stewart family.
Its first occupant was Captain Charles Stewart, a veteran of the Battle of the Boyne under King William III in 1690.
At the time it was the largest house in the area and was described as “a fine modern mansion, with the lawn coming down to the harbour and town of Dunfanaghy in the fore and middle ground”.
In 1707 Captain Stewart was appointed High Sheriff of Donegal, a position held by his Horn Head House descendants until 1935.
Horn Head House remained as the seat of the Stewart family until 1931 when it was abandoned after being buried in sand.
During WW1 the Stewart landlord allowed large swathes of foliage to be cut and the grass was shipped abroad as fodder for cavalry horses. As a result the dunes became mobile and Lurgabrack townland was eventually covered in sand.
The main house was pronounced “doomed” in 1931.
Now, after nine decades of dormancy, Martin O’Neill plans to resurrect the vast property.
The soccer manager hit the headlines last year when he lodged an objection to a planning application lodged by Dunfanaghy Youths.
In a seven page document Mr O’Neill outlined his concerns, citing environmental issues, traffic and pedestrian access and changing the character of Horn Head.
Despite his objections though, Donegal County Council has now given the pitch the go ahead.
Welcoming the refurbishment of the Landlord’s House, Creeslough community worker Ben McFadden said locals were delighted that it is being restored.
“We in the Dunfanaghy and Creeslough areas are delighted to see such a building being brought back into use.
“It’s nice too that planning has been granted for the football pitch and overall, it’s a good news story for this entire area,” Mr McFadden said.

Wee Martin to appear on Grand Designs then.
Have you ever watched a program called 'Room to Improve' which is an Irish show presented by an architect called Dermot Bannon, where he goes and tarts up people's houses for them?

Daniel O'Donnell was on it once, and he was an absolute cock socket, and his house was tacky as fūck. Just shows you that money can't buy taste.
I'd imagine The Blessed St. Martin to be of a similar ilk.

Interesting wee read.

FORMER IRELAND SOCCER BOSS RESTORING ‘LANDLORD’S HOUSE’

Former Ireland soccer boss restoring ‘Landlord’s House’

WORK has commenced on the restoration of a historic Dunfanaghy building 90 years after it was abandoned.
The property, known locally as the ‘Landlord’s House’, was purchased recently by former Republic of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill.
Horn Head House, as the stately manor was originally named, was purchased in 1700 by the Stewart family.
Its first occupant was Captain Charles Stewart, a veteran of the Battle of the Boyne under King William III in 1690.
At the time it was the largest house in the area and was described as “a fine modern mansion, with the lawn coming down to the harbour and town of Dunfanaghy in the fore and middle ground”.
In 1707 Captain Stewart was appointed High Sheriff of Donegal, a position held by his Horn Head House descendants until 1935.
Horn Head House remained as the seat of the Stewart family until 1931 when it was abandoned after being buried in sand.
During WW1 the Stewart landlord allowed large swathes of foliage to be cut and the grass was shipped abroad as fodder for cavalry horses. As a result the dunes became mobile and Lurgabrack townland was eventually covered in sand.
The main house was pronounced “doomed” in 1931.
Now, after nine decades of dormancy, Martin O’Neill plans to resurrect the vast property.
The soccer manager hit the headlines last year when he lodged an objection to a planning application lodged by Dunfanaghy Youths.
In a seven page document Mr O’Neill outlined his concerns, citing environmental issues, traffic and pedestrian access and changing the character of Horn Head.
Despite his objections though, Donegal County Council has now given the pitch the go ahead.
Welcoming the refurbishment of the Landlord’s House, Creeslough community worker Ben McFadden said locals were delighted that it is being restored.
“We in the Dunfanaghy and Creeslough areas are delighted to see such a building being brought back into use.
“It’s nice too that planning has been granted for the football pitch and overall, it’s a good news story for this entire area,” Mr McFadden said.
Craggy Island hoose!

ah ,my grandfathers roots .horn head ,dunfanaghy and cresslough.family name too and always went to visit the relatives in a big house on the harbour side as a kid .
many relatives buried at the COI graveyard in cresslough .
we were in dunfanaghy on the night the big riots erupted in londonderry ,staying in 2 small caravans that belonged to the family circle.
had to high tail it back to the city next day and only way in was over sherrifs mountain and down through the bogside as the main border crossings were closed off . o_O
sadly my dad has passed on but i must run that big house past my uncle to see if he has any info .

ah ,my grandfathers roots .horn head ,dunfanaghy and cresslough.family name too and always went to visit the relatives in a big house on the harbour side as a kid .
many relatives buried at the COI graveyard in cresslough .
we were in dunfanaghy on the night the big riots erupted in londonderry ,staying in 2 small caravans that belonged to the family circle.
had to high tail it back to the city next day and only way in was over sherrifs mountain and down through the bogside as the main border crossings were closed off . o_O
sadly my dad has passed on but i must run that big house past my uncle to see if he has any info .
These stories amaze me. Know many family stories of ducking and diving throughout the Troubles.

These stories amaze me. Know many family stories of ducking and diving throughout the Troubles.
that area wasn't a total no go at that point to be honest.
loads of good people lived up in rosemount but were quickly expelled with what furniture they could grab and the local milk floats used to move it out asap.never hear that mentioned much.wonder why :rolleyes: i was just speaking to a man last week on a job i was doing who moved from culmore to rosemount and then quickly had to move again as a kid .his relatives are all fountain people that my mum grew up with and his mum was my mums pal at school.amazing .a small world as we say in these parts
i was too young to really take in the seriousness of all the trouble at the time but i didn't see dunfanaghy again for over 25 years .

This sounds good.

It is only people with money who can preserver or restore old ruins like these, better than it getting knocked down.

Being a williamite with the name charles stewart would have been a bit awkward i'd say.

Stuart/stewart before the grammar police pounce

Wave after wave after wave after wave of..... wallpaper, floor tiles and topsoil :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
What a pleasant surprise to see mentioned my mother's birthplace Sherriffs Mountain and a place where I spent half of my youth! Fantastic youthful memories where Joseph Locke(world famous tenor) and Sir Samuel Orr were frequent visitors to my granny and grandfather. Locke(McLaughlin) used to work for my Granda and Sir Samuel was related by marriage to my Granny.

Spent a lot of time too in Dunfanaghy. Was ringing home about 1972 and you had to go through the operator in ROI in those days and I asked for Londonderry xxxxx( I can still remember the number) to be told by the operator that there was no such place!

Had a holiday there once really enjoyed it and Downings across the bay nice wee town also

Is this not years old? The story, not the house.

More of an ongoing situation.

What a pleasant surprise to see mentioned my mother's birthplace Sherriffs Mountain and a place where I spent half of my youth! Fantastic youthful memories where Joseph Locke(world famous tenor) and Sir Samuel Orr were frequent visitors to my granny and grandfather. Locke(McLaughlin) used to work for my Granda and Sir Samuel was related by marriage to my Granny.

Spent a lot of time too in Dunfanaghy. Was ringing home about 1972 and you had to go through the operator in ROI in those days and I asked for Londonderry xxxxx( I can still remember the number) to be told by the operator that there was no such place!
my brother married Sir Samuel Orrs niece

Reactions: wow
Back