Dortmund vs last night.

We were truly spoiled in Europe under Gerrard.
Remember the crap we suffered under Smith in all bar two, maybe three seasons?
Gerrard's record in Europe is overall brilliant.

Yet I think worth remembering Malmo which was his only Champions League qualifier, and failing to win any Europa League group games before he left for Villa.

I don't think PSV are far off Slavia Prague or Leverkusen who were both far to good for us in knockout ties in Europa.

Kent and Morelos were replaced by Matondo and Dessers last night.

That is regression pure and simple imo.
I'm not convinced matondo doesn't have a higher ceiling than Kent. We seen a massively inconsistent Alfie, what's to say dessers doesn't have a 6 month purple patch every 2 years just like alifie ?

In the match at Ibrox, we were 2 1 down at ht, and the atmosphere was flat. I bet at least 75% thought we'd go out. Tavs goal in 2nd half deflated them.

Dortmund away we were sensational and they are a far superior team to PSV.

Players believed they could win and played like it and last night we were passive and weak.

Bassey, Aribo, Morelos, Kent and Arfield were the players missing from last night's game.

Have we improved on any of those players? I'd say no apart from maybe Scotty Arfield with Cantwell.

Do we have a better manager? I'd say European wise definitely not.

I hope not but we could be in for a shock even in the Europa as we just aren't as good a team, mentally or physically.
Dortmund didnt have Haaland thankfully as he would have ripped us to shreds.

Dortmund should have been one or two up before we scored our first and then they fell apart.

One of our best results ever in europe but it needed a few stars aligning.

Dortmund didnt have Haaland thankfully as he would have ripped us to shreds.

Dortmund should have been one or two up before we scored our first and then they fell apart.

One of our best results ever in europe but it needed a few stars aligning.
Agree with alot of that mate but what was clear to see was the attitude of the players then and now.

Players believed they could win and played like it and last night we were passive and weak.

Bassey, Aribo, Morelos, Kent and Arfield were the players missing from last night's game.

Have we improved on any of those players? I'd say no apart from maybe Scotty Arfield with Cantwell.

I hope not but we could be in for a shock even in the Europa as we just aren't as good a team, mentally or physically.
Had a manager with European experience, who put belief into every one of these players in Dortmund.And, could back it up!
He also implemented a game plan that was fully understood by every player.
Where as last night was a shit show, from a rookie manager.

Always prefer playing at home 2nd leg as well, the Europa run was built on staying in the game with a draw/narrow defeat then the Ibrox factor taking us through

It's called an opinion.

Though I would say that their first half performance at Ibrox suggested a greater urgency as well that wasn't there in Germany. We were hanging a bit until half time in the second leg. Again, in my opinion.

Who cares anyway, its 18 months but a lifetime ago.

But only an incredible decision from that Spanish ref stopped them losing at Ibrox.

The motivated, on-form versions of Kent and Morelos would have caused that PSV defence big problems, that's the main difference.
Even an off form kent still had players doubling up on him as he could take the ball for a run. Got us up the park. Laterly he was very wasteful but still gave us a outball. There is no one in a forward area capable of keeping a hold of the bloody thing.

History suggests that we can't though.

A club our size should, but like I said apart from about 5 Euro campaigns since 1972 and probably about 8 campaigns overall since 1955 our club has done fúck all in Europe.

We are a once in a generation challenger. Its probably a miracle we got to where we did in 2022. We should have done more in the old UEFA Cup down the years possibly but some of the teams in the EL these days (Liverpool for example) is making it harder and harder.

Your stats provide a strong argument, I agree.

We had a formula though that was working and suddenly we have gone backwards.

Two european finals between 2008 and 2022 - 14 years and we spent 4 of these in the lower leagues and another couple of season screwing around with Murty and Pedro and pre 2012 with Whyte at the controls. In 7 proper seasons we have made two European finals.

A manager with a game plan based on a solid formation and tactics + good recruitment buying good players (doesn't have to be world beaters) who fit into the system.

That is what Smith had in 2008 and it is what Gerrard built for 2022 which Gio made the best of on the European stage.

PSV should not be a class above us and we made them look better than they really are. I have work colleagues in Holland and that is what they said to me this morning.

Sadly we have let our best players go and even worse, only Aribo and Bassey we got serious money for. We should have got big money for Kent, Morelos and Kamara but instead we get only a pittance for Kamara and fxxk all for the other two.

We have invested the money we had on (based on current evidence) signings who are nowhere near the level of those before them. And then there is the question of Beale's ability to manage Rangers.

We had it within our grasp and we, based on what we have seen so far, let it slip away.

Last edited:

Lol

Back