Dropping Points and Winning the League

RedWhiteBlue

I know everyone is worked up about the season so far but the truth is that we can't influence the management or the players so we are stuck where we are for now. Unless anyone fancies a trip round to Ibrox to shout "Gerrad get to f*ck" and throw a few sharks around then maybe we should talk about expectations.

Last season was our first league title in 10 seasons and it seems like many of us have forgotten just how many points are dropped in a title winning season and just how many bad performances accompany those dropped points. 102 points, 32 wins and 6 draws was sensational and probably never to be repeated.

Lets go back to 2008-09 though. The previous season we'd just missed out on the title in the last game of the season and run out of steam in the UEFA Cup Final. Thankfully at the end of this one we'd be singing "Glasgow Rangers Champions" at Tannadice on the 24th of May. Only after 4 defeats and 8 draws in the league an unfortunate CL exit to Kaunas and a 2-0 league cup final defeat against them. Who remembers such classics as St Mirren 1, Rangers 0 on October 5th 2008? Nobody? Or Ian Blacks last minute penalty winner for Inverness CT at Ibrox in another memorable 1-0 defeat? Didn't think so. You'd like to think we turned it around after that 1-0 defeat at Ibrox but in the next home game we blew a 2-0 lead against Hearts and finished the game 2-2. I bet FF was a barrel of laughs that weekend. "Questions need to be asked! Don't bury your head in the sand." Probably the happy clappers on here were thinking "it's OK" and "we'll still win the league". They were quite right.

2009-10? Fun times. 9 draws and 3 defeats. Who could forget the classic run of three 0-0 draws in a row in the SPL? Dropping 6 points while Mowbrays Celtic were playing Tony-ball and dropping only 2 points. How about those sensational 1-1 draws at Ibrox against Hearts and Hibs? There were some good wins, mind you, couple of 1-0 wins against Hamilton were a real highlight. Who can remember March 30th 2010? St Johnstone 4, Rangers 1. I was happy clapping the team all the way to the title though. How did we do in Europe? DO NOT ASK.

2010-11! Three in a row! What a day out at Kilmarnock! Just the three draws in the SPL. Nice! Oh, and five defeats. The jaw dropping shock of losing 3-0 at home to Hibs. The rage inducing 3-2 loss to Dundee United at Ibrox. Played the tims SEVEN times. 2 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats. Guess who won the f*cking title though?

So maybe it's time to get a bit of perspective here. No amount of moaning and whining is going to change the results on the pitch. Gerrard isn't going to walk away while we are clear at the top and still fighting in Europe. Bad performances and results are a part of basically every season. So maybe we should learn to deal with disappointment a little better? Just by learning from the past. You think the dropped points in previous campaigns happened in spite of great performances? Or were we basically sh!t every time we didn't pick up the win? Hell, sometimes we were utter crap even when we did walk away with all 3 points.

We are going to drop points. There will be more days like today. Probably another nine or ten of them to be honest. The season might go a lot easier on the old blood pressure if some of us accepted that reality and just tried to calm down a wee bit.

Remember, we've all been here before. We all know that, in the case of title winning seasons, the destination is typically A LOT better than the journey. Support your team.

Your correct but football fans need to vent after a bad result, it’s natural and part of the process.

I’m pissed off, concerned we really aren’t reaching our potential but also believe we will win the title. All these things are not mutually exclusive.

Were making excuses fir being piss pour all season trying to compare this team to teams of yesteryear is would be though

They are in dismay signed nearly a full new team of unknowns

We skooshed the league last year playing great football until after Christmas then scraped a few tight games into wins

For me it’s not just the dropped points but the manner we dropped them. We dominated the game yet got so little return in terms of goals. Done enough today to win comfortably but decision making in final 3rd let us down.

Not a disaster by any stretch, but we need to quickly find our groove again as it’s been a while since we put in a complete performance over the full 90. Hopefully we will see some players returning like jack and hagi to give us more options as we have been unlucky with injuries, Covid and suspensions.

Look like a teams who’s one last dance was 55.

Our board have banked in the mentally challengeds not getting it right within a year a we get a pot of gold in the the champions league money.

If we don’t win the league it’ll be devastating on and off the park.

Normally the venting is a wee groan at the final whistle then a right good analysis in the pub afterwards. I guess forums and SM platforms are the modern equivalent, it's definitely good to talk/type these things out. Just as long as there is a sense of balance.

My initial reaction was we were all over the place 2nd half, they looked far more dangerous and they were all over us.
I won't be watching the game back but after a few conversations they scored on 66 and with 6 mins injury time we were poor for 30 mins, still had chances but we were poor for 30 mins. We weren't all over the place, they weren't far more dangerous than us. We've arguably played a lot worse for lot longer periods and skelped hammer throwers like Motherwell.
You win some, you lose some and very frustratingly you draw some

Look like a teams who’s one last dance was 55.

Our board have banked in the mentally challengeds not getting it right within a year a we get a pot of gold in the the champions league money.

If we don’t win the league it’ll be devastating on and off the park.
A good result Wednesday turns that statement on its head, semi final place up for grabs. Give us the filth at Hampden, give us silverware before Christmas and get the dancing shoes back on!

We’ve played a well a full 90 mins once this season, we’ve gone from looking bullet proof at the back to expecting the worse at every attack.

I expect us to improve and win the league but too many aren’t at it and I find that worrying

That 1 nil defeat to Ict at Ibrox is prob the coldest I have ever been at a match.

Great post OP and some very valid points

We will win the league, but it’s also right to say we’ve regressed and it’s a lacklustre start.

Thankfully, the others are just a bit more pisher than us and that’s what it will come down to. Find some form and get it done

We need a big win of some note ASAP to get us going.

Agree with all your points good post. The internet and forums are very negative. Its not just Rangers, I also follow england and even when on good form and fans at the games are happy, the online platforms are full of negativity

The manner of the performances even when we’ve won are my main issue. We’ve not really played anyone yet and still dropping points and playing poorly. What happens when we we play Hibs and Hearts, what happens when we go to Pittodrie or the plastic pitch at Livi.

We got away with it in Perth with a wonder goal. We were brutal at Dundee Utd. We were so wasteful yesterday and looked like conceding anytime they went forward, the defending this season is reminding me of Warburton levels of shit.

You just know we are struggling at Dundee on Saturday.

Something needs to change and change now

I suppose folk are just frustrated with how we have started the season.

We need to find a spark from somewhere or it's going to be a fight between us and them as to who can be the less worse.

if we could've scraped a win yesterday the pressure on the other side of the city would be a lot more than it is, and already they are calling for his head.

We need to start winning for our own sake but that added pressure to them would be great.

The manner of the performances even when we’ve won are my main issue. We’ve not really played anyone yet and still dropping points and playing poorly. What happens when we we play Hibs and Hearts, what happens when we go to Pittodrie or the plastic pitch at Livi.

We got away with it in Perth with a wonder goal. We were brutal at Dundee Utd. We were so wasteful yesterday and looked like conceding anytime they went forward, the defending this season is reminding me of Warburton levels of shit.

You just know we are struggling at Dundee on Saturday.

Something needs to change and change now
Thing is though, its not reasonable to say we've not played anyone, then cite Aberdeen who are utter shit compared to Motherwell this season.

I'm not saying Motherwell are a great side. But you can't then turn round and cite inferior teams as being someone and Motherwell as being no one.

Thing is though, its not reasonable to say we've not played anyone, then cite Aberdeen who are utter shit compared to Motherwell this season.

I'm not saying Motherwell are a great side. But you can't then turn round and cite inferior teams as being someone and Motherwell as being no one.
You know Aberdeen away is always a tough away game though regardless how they’re doing.

We will win the league, but it’s also right to say we’ve regressed and it’s a lacklustre start.

Thankfully, the others are just a bit more pisher than us and that’s what it will come down to. Find some form and get it done

We need a big win of some note ASAP to get us going.
But surely you expected us to regress, there was no chance we could keep up the form of last season over this season as well. There was always going to be a comedown. We’re just lucky it’s happening at the start of the season and they are also not having a great start.

Pretty much every away game this season is tough. Ross County maybe the only one you can expect to go and roll over by a few goals
Certainly the way we are playing and defending it will be. Even in Dingwall we shipped 2, to a terrible team.

I know everyone is worked up about the season so far but the truth is that we can't influence the management or the players so we are stuck where we are for now. Unless anyone fancies a trip round to Ibrox to shout "Gerrad get to f*ck" and throw a few sharks around then maybe we should talk about expectations.

Last season was our first league title in 10 seasons and it seems like many of us have forgotten just how many points are dropped in a title winning season and just how many bad performances accompany those dropped points. 102 points, 32 wins and 6 draws was sensational and probably never to be repeated.

Lets go back to 2008-09 though. The previous season we'd just missed out on the title in the last game of the season and run out of steam in the UEFA Cup Final. Thankfully at the end of this one we'd be singing "Glasgow Rangers Champions" at Tannadice on the 24th of May. Only after 4 defeats and 8 draws in the league an unfortunate CL exit to Kaunas and a 2-0 league cup final defeat against them. Who remembers such classics as St Mirren 1, Rangers 0 on October 5th 2008? Nobody? Or Ian Blacks last minute penalty winner for Inverness CT at Ibrox in another memorable 1-0 defeat? Didn't think so. You'd like to think we turned it around after that 1-0 defeat at Ibrox but in the next home game we blew a 2-0 lead against Hearts and finished the game 2-2. I bet FF was a barrel of laughs that weekend. "Questions need to be asked! Don't bury your head in the sand." Probably the happy clappers on here were thinking "it's OK" and "we'll still win the league". They were quite right.

2009-10? Fun times. 9 draws and 3 defeats. Who could forget the classic run of three 0-0 draws in a row in the SPL? Dropping 6 points while Mowbrays Celtic were playing Tony-ball and dropping only 2 points. How about those sensational 1-1 draws at Ibrox against Hearts and Hibs? There were some good wins, mind you, couple of 1-0 wins against Hamilton were a real highlight. Who can remember March 30th 2010? St Johnstone 4, Rangers 1. I was happy clapping the team all the way to the title though. How did we do in Europe? DO NOT ASK.

2010-11! Three in a row! What a day out at Kilmarnock! Just the three draws in the SPL. Nice! Oh, and five defeats. The jaw dropping shock of losing 3-0 at home to Hibs. The rage inducing 3-2 loss to Dundee United at Ibrox. Played the tims SEVEN times. 2 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats. Guess who won the f*cking title though?

So maybe it's time to get a bit of perspective here. No amount of moaning and whining is going to change the results on the pitch. Gerrard isn't going to walk away while we are clear at the top and still fighting in Europe. Bad performances and results are a part of basically every season. So maybe we should learn to deal with disappointment a little better? Just by learning from the past. You think the dropped points in previous campaigns happened in spite of great performances? Or were we basically sh!t every time we didn't pick up the win? Hell, sometimes we were utter crap even when we did walk away with all 3 points.

We are going to drop points. There will be more days like today. Probably another nine or ten of them to be honest. The season might go a lot easier on the old blood pressure if some of us accepted that reality and just tried to calm down a wee bit.

Remember, we've all been here before. We all know that, in the case of title winning seasons, the destination is typically A LOT better than the journey. Support your team.

It doesn't feel so far away but seasons 08/09, 09/10 and 10/11 feels like a totally different time.

The rise in social media is one of the factors in people unable to handle slight setbacks anymore. The need to rush straight to their phones to vent and over dramatize is just embarrassing.

Those 3 seasons, as you've pointed out, had loads of games where we struggled and dropped points. I don't remember it being like it is now though. FF had its usual greetin faced crowd but not as it is now. There were so many posters on here in those years that were a great read, you can see nowadays though why they wouldn't come near this place anymore.

I was as annoyed as everyone else yesterday but apart from Malmo this season has been 'alright' so far. 4 wins out of 6, a rubbish defeat away to Dundee Utd and a daft draw yesterday in a game where we played probably the best we have all season, we just couldn't finish. Add into that putting them back in their place a few weeks ago and its been ok so far.

Last season was a once in a decade type season. Strolling the league like that very rarely happens. Results like yesterday happen, set backs happen. I remember in 09/10 under Walter we drew 0-0 three matches in a row, lost three away games, drew four home games and still won the league by 6 points.

Were making excuses fir being piss pour all season trying to compare this team to teams of yesteryear is would be though

They are in dismay signed nearly a full new team of unknowns

We skooshed the league last year playing great football until after Christmas then scraped a few tight games into wins
After Xmas we had a record of W15 D4 L0 GF 39 GA 8 ,

Drew at Celtic, Hamilton (last minute goal), St Johnstone and Motherwell.

"Tough" spell around the Hamilton game where we won 3 games 1-0.

Lets hope we "scrape" thru again

I dont think Ange will last the season. The bheggars will spend in January with a new manager.
We should be building a big lead at present.

Back