Duncan Ferguson

How did he manage to end up getting jailed for that headbutt? He absolutely overreacted and shouldn’t have done it…but jail? Really?

My mate was randomly glassed by a stranger in a packed pub for no reason on a Saturday afternoon and the c*nt that did it only got a community payback order and a £250 fine….but Dunc got the jail for that?

Happy Birthday to the Big man. Hung out to dry by the club at the time when he needed help. He is an utter gentleman. Wish him nothing but the best.

How did he manage to end up getting jailed for that headbutt? He absolutely overreacted and shouldn’t have done it…but jail? Really?

My mate was randomly glassed by a stranger in a packed pub for no reason on a Saturday afternoon and the c*nt that did it only got a community payback order and a £250 fine….but Dunc got the jail for that?
Was because he was on a probation period from his assault charge. Anything he did was going to see jail time. Wasn’t for the offence itself

Was because he was on a probation period from his assault charge. Anything he did was going to see jail time. Wasn’t for the offence itself
Refresh my memory again how did what happened on the pitch end up in the Courts ,I have never seen it happen since correct me if I’m wrong.

Happy Birthday Dunc
How many players have been cited for an on field incident since then?
None you say.
Thought as much.
Big man would have been a legend.

The offence??? Did McStay have a broken nose, even a split lip? Were there rivers of blood? Nope. I was in the enclosure and convinced that, if there was any contact at all it was minimal. A shameful episode in the history of Scottish football and the Scottish judiciary.

Telling that of all the violent conduct incidents in Scottish football sine, none have resulted in an arrest.

The offence??? Did McStay have a broken nose, even a split lip? Were there rivers of blood? Nope. I was in the enclosure and convinced that, if there was any contact at all it was minimal. A shameful episode in the history of Scottish football and the Scottish judiciary.

Telling that of all the violent conduct incidents in Scottish football sine, none have resulted in an arrest.
I wonder who instigated the charges, the fact Donald Findlay was on the board at the time made matters even worse a shameful time for our Club.

I wish the club backed him. What a player.
A player of supreme presence and the ability. I think the club did back him, it was a no win situation as he was already "drunkan disorderly" in their eyes. A real threat but, not one that Scottish football was ready for and so he made his mark anyway. Big Dunc, happy birthday and wishing you and your family a great time and future. You have built it and defended it with the spirit and loyalty that I myself strive for. All the Best Bigman.

Was it big Dunc that caused that huge crowd at Ibrox for old firm reserve game?I was at it but can't remember.Info anyone.

It was ridiculous that he was jailed for the incident against Raith Rovers.

However, unless he was going to suddenly grow up and change his ways, he was always destined to end up there.

His behaviour at that time was nothing other than that of a Ned. Thankfully he moved away, grew up and forged a very good career for himself.

I didn’t decide to take it to court, but it was deemed an offence to end up there so dunno why you are raging at me

I had read the sheriff who put him on probation saw the McStay incident on television and instigated proceedings.

Rangers felt his loss less because Hateley kept going on for a few years and was probably the better player at the time.
Scotland had to pick John Spencer and John McGinlay.

I won't say where,but I worked with Mcstay many years ago.Big Dunc barely touched him but he went down like he had been shot.That was his words.
A small amount of justice was dished out though as one morning after a nightshift Mcstay spun on black ice and ended up in a smashed up car in a ditch.I gave him a toot as I drove past.Prick

My father knew one of the SFA members who was sitting on his disciplinary panel.

Dunc was guilty before the panel had even met. Trial by Sportscene before it was even a thing.

I always wonder “what if” we’d backed him and held on to him? Hateley left for QPR a year or two later, would he take over his mantle? Could he have been the $10m striker wee Dick was looking for? How many Scotland caps could he have got given we were relying on the likes of Darren Jackson, Billy Dodds and Scott Booth? Anyway, if my auntie had balls etc etc

My father knew one of the SFA members who was sitting on his disciplinary panel.

Dunc was guilty before the panel had even met. Trial by Sportscene before it was even a thing.

I always wonder “what if” we’d backed him and held on to him? Hateley left for QPR a year or two later, would he take over his mantle? Could he have been the $10m striker wee Dick was looking for? How many Scotland caps could he have got given we were relying on the likes of Darren Jackson, Billy Dodds and Scott Booth? Anyway, if my auntie had balls etc etc

He played for Scotland until 1997.

Happy birthday Big Dunc.
Still an absolute legend at Everton. Sold to Newcastle by the board without the managers knowledge (Sir Walter).
A harsh sentence even if he did have a bit of form, as there was minimum contact, no injury and if I remember correctly McStay did not give evidence. Probably too embarrassed.

We had Hateley.

Pointless.

Given Hateley had serious injuries, was approaching 32 and Ferguson was only 21 and the hottest prospect in Scottish football, the move made sense.

What it did do was light a fire under Hateley who then went onto the greatest 18 months of his Rangers career before finally breaking down to injury.

By that point Ferguson was gone and at a profit as well. We ended up playing half a season with the likes of Brian McGinty, Charlie Miller and Ian Ferguson at centre forward at various points.

Back