Eddie Howe - Biggest fraud in football?

We heard similar when Rodgers came up to them. ''He's never won anything before'' etc. You're coming up to a two horse race with the biggest budget. You don't need to be Klopp or Pep to win things in Scotland.

Howe is a good coach and a huge improvement on Lennon there's no point in kidding ourselves on about that. I still wouldn't trade him for our management team though.
I’d almost agree. The only difference being Rodgers had already managed at a bigger club than anything we have in Scotland so knew exactly what the expectations would be like and was ready for it.

Howe hasn’t. But I fully agree he is a very good coach and a massive upgrade on Lennon.

I think the Howe issue is fairly straightforward; he's probably a good Coach but lacks the strength of character to manage in the Glasgow goldfish-bowl. He wouldn't want anything to do with their persecution complex and isn't one to rant and rave when things go wrong. Being in a situation where a draw is a catastrophe wouldn't sit well with him and, in my view, he'd 'crack' fairly quickly.

Lots of smoke about him being appointed so there might be something it. For me, it would be a big mistake from them. Howe will do well elsewhere but Glasgow's not for him. He's not thick-skinned enough.

The repeated posts about him being homesick in Burnley are bollocks by the way. His Mother died in March 2012 and he left Burnley in the October 2012 to be nearer family in the aftermath.

Last edited:
EPL money never played any part in him taking Bournemouth from the bottom tier to the EPL in the first place.
No but its not as much of a miracle as it seems when you look at their millionaire owner who bankrolled their promotions, don't get me wrong though Howe is a good manager but imo would be a poor appointment for them and not mentally strong enough.

I’d almost agree. The only difference being Rodgers had already managed at a bigger club than anything we have in Scotland so knew exactly what the expectations would be like and was ready for it.

Howe hasn’t. But I fully agree he is a very good coach and a massive upgrade on Lennon.

Absolutely. Rodgers was a proven top manager before he came here. Howe hasn't had the chance at a bigger club so we would need to see how he would adapt to that but he is an excellent coach and would get Celtic playing good football again and they would be functioning in a professional manner unlike the current shambles under Lennon.

I'm not sure if I buy the notion he will crumble in Glasgow either. In his interviews and stuff, he comes across as if he has a good temperament to me.

Would Howe take the job? He has a good reputation down south with his time at Bournemouth and was obviously linked to bigger jobs when he was there.

Taking the Celtic job at this time would be a big risk and a big rebuild, a decent chance he wouldn't be successful and a manager who fails in Scotland is effectively unemployable to any top flight teams in England at the moment. He strikes me as the type who'd rather sit quietly for now and wait for a Newcastle type job or even the opportunity for the England gig if Southgate leaves.

Howe would be a good appointment for a lower EPL team or an ambitious Championship team.

He doesn’t strike me as the type who would cope well with the pressure and intensity that would come his way in that job.

Howe has spent his full life and career in the south of England, except his 18 month spell at Burnley, where he finished 8th and 13th in the Championship, the left because he was homesick. He also earned £3 million plus per year at Bournmouth...i realise thats prem money but would he really uproot his whole family to Glasgow for significantly less money...when he could have the pick of any jobs in his "local" area when the become available for a similar salary

If Lennon goes and Eddie Howe takes over, they would have a manager who, previously, was in charge at a club where the expectation levels are low and the pressure would have been nothing compared to what he would experience at Celtic. For both sides of the Old Firm an away draw can signal a “crisis” (note the speech marks) and it would be interesting to see how he handled it.
Cant see Howe grasping the mentality and intensity of the game up here - funny feeling it would be short lived

The dilemma Keane has is similar to that of Andy Gray and possibly Souness a few years ago, leave your lucrative Sky gig and fail as a manager and it’s a lose lose situation. Stays where he is and it’s hassle free money in the bank.

I know he’s an arrogant person, but he’s not that stupid.

Of course he is ffs, be serious.
He took a side from the bottom of league 2, to the EPL and kept them there for a few seasons.
Miles better than anything Warburton has ever achieved in his career.
He also took them down through an awful transfer policy no plan b and his teams are quite soft and easily buillied there's good points and bad points about him like any manager. He's also been linked with the Newcastle and Brighton jobs should they become available in the coming weeks there not a certainty to get him especially if he got offerrd tfe Brighton job

Howe to me is a guy that will play ‘cavalier’ football while getting pumped most weeks.

No manager worth a toss is taking that job before the summer.

I reckon Lennon will be away tomorrow. The fans will go mental if he stays. Season books will already be off by the thousands.

I’m predicting Gordon Strachan, Mick McCarthy or O’Neil until the end of the season.

also reckon Eduoard will be away by the end of this transfer window.

announce McGoo until the end of the season :cool:

Howe has never been at a club where there is pressure to win every week, he might have got Bournemouth promotions but certainly in the Championship they weren't expected to go up

Back