El Classico 8pm tonight

Really enjoyable game. Barca probably had too many youngsters in the starting 11. All good players and will be worth a watch next season. However for this fixture you need guys who have been over the course and Real have world class players all over the park. I fancy Real for the title with barca runners up.

When these games were at their peak in 2008-2012 with Messi vs Ronaldo and Guardiola/Mourinho, you'd get a pub full of people turning up to watch them on the Saturday night as much as they were all going to the pub anyway. I take it (Covid aside) there isn't that level of interest any more?

When these games were at their peak in 2008-2012 with Messi vs Ronaldo and Guardiola/Mourinho, you'd get a pub full of people turning up to watch them on the Saturday night as much as they were all going to the pub anyway. I take it (Covid aside) there isn't that level of interest any more?
I do think the level of interest has tailed off, but I would say partly this is due to the lack of coverage now.

I was gutted when Sky stopped their La Liga coverage as I was one of those guys who would watch these games on a Saturday or Sunday night in the pub - it meant a full day of football with maybe the Rangers game around midday, 2 premiership games then a La Liga game in the evening to finish off. I have my suspicions that Sky didn't renew their contract - it was only something like £12 million a year - as it was taking too much attention away from their beloved EPL.

I still think that man for man, La Liga players are the most talented in terms of ball skills; I've watched lower level games such as Vallodolid v Alaves, and the ball control of players in these lesser teams is still a level above most EPL teams. The pool of talent that Spain possesses is vast and I wish we could find someway to try and copy them. I guess having the sunshine helps right enough!

Back