Emails show celtic had permission in November

Celtic still banging on about this via their PR arm?
A lot changed from November so common sense should’ve been used. They also never followed all protocols while in the hotel.

Who cares, it ruined their season, I’m fvcking delighted!

A lot changed from November so common sense should’ve been used. They also never followed all protocols while in the hotel.

They've been at the forefront of everything good with regards to COVID.

Mr Lennon has told us that over and over

It was never about whether they had permission or not. The issue was a lack of masks and distancing evidenced in the photos being circulated as well as whether it was morally correct to go overseas for a jolly when the country was in lockdown.

It’s still pretty simple.

Celtic were idiots for suggesting going away.

The Scottish FA were idiots for agreeing to it and then moving a game Hibs didn’t want to move to accommodate it when Celtic had games to catch up on.

The Scottish Government are idiots for also giving it the thumbs up then telling Celtic they shouldn’t have gone.

Celtic are idiots for breaching COVID-19 regulations while they were over there if those pictures are anything to go by.

Idiots all round. No matter how the try and spin it.

Can someone C&P please?
Emails relating to Celtic's controversial trip to Dubai have revealed how the club was told in November the visit was permitted.
In one, a Scottish government official was "pleased to say" the proposed training trip complied with Covid travel rules governing elite sport.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon later criticised the club for going ahead with the trip in early January.
At the time a more infectious strain of the virus was spreading in the UK.
The training camp led to a total of 16 players and coaching staff having to self-isolate because of a positive Covid-19 test.
The email chain obtained by BBC Scotland, following a Freedom of Information request, shows how the SFA, acting on behalf of Celtic, initially asked for guidance about a possible trip to Turkey.
On 12 November, a government official whose name was redacted wrote: "I am pleased to say this is covered.
"Domestic and elite sportspersons can attend elite training overseas in a non-exempt country, and be exempt on return to Scotland.
"This is on the basis that you will be continuing activities as an elite sportsperson operating under the relevant resumption of performance sport guidelines on return to Scotland.
"All will need written evidence from the governing body confirming that they are an elite sportsperson."
IMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES
image captionFirst Minister Nicola Sturgeon criticised the trip
The destination was later switched to Dubai after Turkey was placed on the quarantine list.
The initial request promised "suitably robust control measures, comparable to those applied when we compete in European competition matches" during the warm weather training camp which was designed to "set the team up" for fixtures later in the season.
It assured the government that "bio-protected bubble protocols" would be observed, namely private club charter flights, private transfers, restricted areas within hotels - and a choice of hotel with on-site training facilities.
Celtic flew out to Dubai just days before Scotland's coronavirus restrictions were tightened and a "stay at home" message was issued following an upsurge in confirmed infections.

'Reflect seriously'​

While they were abroad photos emerged on social media showing manager Neil Lennon and other players on sun loungers beside a pool, apparently failing to observe social distancing guidelines.
Another picture apparently showed some players gathered around a table in a hotel bar.
At her daily on briefing on 11 January, a few days after Celtic's return, the first minister said: "I really hope Celtic reflect seriously on this.
"You should be asking yourself whether going to a training camp, and what you do at that training camp, is necessary."
The criticism of the trip led to an explosive media conference where the Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, said the fallout was politically-motivated and that there was an agenda against the club.
Deputy First Minister John Swinney later referred to Lennon's defence of the trip as "appalling".

I can see gollum has been busy.

A couple of points to note - 1. They were told they could go, they went, nobody was punished for going - seems like a non story there. 2. Sturgeon's comments were about the poolside drinks and sitting in a bar watching TV - gollum fails to mention that point in his defence.

Tbh, I hope the govt, bbc scotland and that mob tear each other apart so the more this rumbles on, the better.

"It assured the government that "bio-protected bubble protocols" would be observed, namely private club charter flights, private transfers, restricted areas within hotels - and a choice of hotel with on-site training facilities."

So it was approved with conditions that weren't met.

BBC doing their bit to try and guide the narrative though.

There were a lot of things we could do in November that we couldn't do in January. It's an ever changing landscape. Before the new faster spreading variant. Before the surge in numbers.

It's a stupid and irrelevant excuse and I can't believe they are leaning on it let alone going unchallenged with this supposed vindication. The fuckers brought it back with them too.

Had I booked a personal holiday in November when things were a bit better I would certainly have changed my mind about going as I approached the beginning of January. Joke of a club.

Bloody hell...I think everyone has got the message now. We all know they got permission in November to go for their jolly.
It’s the protocols that were broken while over there is the issue.
That club do more deflections than Callum McGregor at a corner.

It's a play on words.

Looks to me like they asked for confirmation that they could use the exemption for elite sportsman that allow them to travel abroad for training camps and they received it.

They didn't need to ask permission, the guidelines were already in place.

They are trying to make out that they asked for some sort of special dispensation and the Nats granted it. In reality, there was nothing the kiddy on government could do to stop them.

Not that it has anything to do with the real issues anyway.

The Govt gave permission for Turkey Cellic sapped to Dubai any person with any savvy would have cancelled due to mood of nation and health risks. So a 3 man panel sitting tomorrow here is some overtime for you chaps.

Gollum McLaughlin off the bbc still on the scum payroll. Nothing in that report shows the govt "approving" the trip. That was purely down to the scum.
However, questions should be asked why the SFA are acting on behalf of celtic for anything in this matter.
What exactly are bbc scotland up to with this report?

Last edited:
Hope they tear shreds off one another. Just as an aside, why are bbc scotland getting involved to try and clear Celtics name? I dont think anyone even cares whether they were allowed or not, but they broke every protocol in the book - which has always been the point people were trying to make.

Where in Turkey is Dubai? Where exactly in this supposed set of guidelines for alleged elite sportspeople is contained permission for folk to sit by the pool with members of the public downing pints?

There were a lot of things we could do in November that we couldn't do in January. It's an ever changing landscape. Before the new faster spreading variant. Before the surge in numbers.

It's a stupid and irrelevant excuse and I can't believe they are leaning on it let alone going unchallenged with this supposed vindication. The fuckers brought it back with them too.

Everyone knew things were changing on the monday of that week.

To me this is more damming for the beggars, it's about the pictures, it's about Julie swapping seats multiple times, it's about the R&R comment from Lennon, none of this refutes these things.

This propaganda exercise courtesy of McLaughlin on behalf of Lawwell is counter-productive because there’s really nothing to be gained in reviving a story that had died.

No-one ever accused Celtic of breaking the law in travelling to Dubai.

It was a monumental PR disaster, though, and this only raises the prospect that someone within the SNP government will raise the stakes.

Interesting point raised in the thread. So many non-athletes travelled. I get that some would need to be physios etc but 60 people?
Were all 60 people directly involved in the football side?

I suspect not and someone within government will have that information.

They had permission if they stuck to the bubbling rules. they didn't stick to the bubbling rules, consequently a player got covid, infected a teammate and put 13 of them in isolation.

Celtic have deflected this whole thing to "we had permission" and not the actual problem of sitting drinking in a bar, and mingling with everyone and their granny (literally) at a pool.

Use that as your defence next time you get caught speeding folks.

"Well, yes the optics look bad, but I did get permission to drive the car."

"But you were going at 80mph in a 30 zone."

"Yes, but I got my driving licence in 2004 so I was allowed to be in the car!"

This just underlines their total disrespect for moral responsibility, it makes them look even more like scum, than they are.

May have been ok in November but they must have known like the rest of us we were going into lockdown a couple days after the game?

Were all 60 people directly involved in the football side?

I suspect not and someone within government will have that information.
It sounds like a staff holiday tbh. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve been promised it as a break from everything here during covid so even with their poor results decided to go.

Where in Turkey is Dubai? Where exactly in this supposed set of guidelines for alleged elite sportspeople is contained permission for folk to sit by the pool with members of the public downing pints?
kjaBOwN.gif

May have been ok in November but they must have known like the rest of us we were going into lockdown a couple days after the game?

Was the lock down not Boxing Day? Days before they travelled.

I think that Dubai was removed from the travel corridor while they were away but it did not affect them.

Back