English fans of them

It wasn't fully charity that led to their founding. Brother Walfrid or whatever his name was, was worried about the number of Catholics attending Protestant run soup kitchens and the like and founded that mob as one way to aid the prevention of the drift. They were religiously influenced from the very start.

As for the OP, I live in England now and I put a lot of the reasoning for their support down here down to TV coverage of the Champions League a decade or so ago when they rarely lost at home. The commentators were always going on about the "fantastic atmosphere", totally ignoring what was being sung. They also used to play a lot of testimonials down here but thankfully they seem to be near blocked from playing in England now as I think their true nature is finally being seen. Rangers though have always been preferred by more, far more, than them, though these days few really care that much about either of us. I always make a point of putting anyone interested in both clubs right though!
Catholics were attending football matches across Glasgow. A lot of them watching us. We can't have that said the bigots, integrating in to society.

It's bizarre but not as bizarre as our Armed Forces supporting them and their anti British Terrorist club

I know of a Royal Marine who not only attends their games when he's up, he sits in front of the Green Brigade section and posts selfies on Facebook with them behind him and raves about the experience. Meanwhile they're singing songs revelling in the murder of people like him only a few years ago, and they still detest him and his fellow service personnel to this day. It's utterly bizarre.

I can never understand why we (England) celebrate st Patrick’s day much more than St George’s day which is barely recognised it’s all very hypocritical and confusing

Considering the history and everything they stand for you’d think they would be all Rangers.
Mate, it's the same problem down there as we have up here. Show any patriotism to the Union flag or Indeed the St George's flag and you immediately become a far right thug. When Jon snow mentioned on the ch4 news about there being a lot of white people in London the day brexit went through, we all knew what he was implying. Voting Brexit meant you were a racist. Must be confusing for them now that Irelands having an immigration problem, all down to the far right or as we now know, they mean fascists.

Right now there are lecturers up and down the UK who are turning young people into activists against anything that is seen as patriotic. That post by Jeanette Findlay yesterday is an example, but she isn't the only one in the UK, not by a long way.

I'd of thought most English would lean towards the Kings 11. It's interesting that you see a lot of under 10s bairns with Cletic strips on and older weans with Rangers. I'm putting that down to their league successes over last 10 years. Unless we pull our finger out and stop the rot then it could have a detrimental impact on our future fans(or lack thereof).

As aside and I'm not just saying this cos I support Rangers but the Cletic strip is honking. Looks so classless.

I was in York a few months ago and got talking to a guy at the bar when he heard my accent, it turned out he ran a pub down there and ran a bus to parkhead with over 40 regulars every home game.
plenty of the Bastards down south they breed like rats.

Like us they have a good number of buses that run regularly from England to games.
The coach company we use also take them and they run a 49 seater to every home game from Sunderland/Newcastle
Gretna, Annandale Water and Abingdon Service Stations will be potential flash points next week.
I ended up years ago in the company of one from Manchester that was 2nd generation and was fully into the anti Brit, IRA, anti monarchy thing. this was just after Warrington and when I asked him how being English he could hold such views bearing in mind a child had been murdered, his response was “ every war has civilian casualties”.

Plenty of English hate their country and sympathise with the IRA.

Liverpool will have a good amount there.
I think Birmingham has the largest Irish descendants per Capita in England. Birmingham has the largest St. Patrick's parade in England apparently

One of the bitterest boots I ever came across was while working in a bar in Sheffield. How I kept my job that day I’ll never know. She was a history teacher as well, that’s what you’re up against.

It wasn't fully charity that led to their founding. Brother Walfrid or whatever his name was, was worried about the number of Catholics attending Protestant run soup kitchens and the like and founded that mob as one way to aid the prevention of the drift. They were religiously influenced from the very start.

As for the OP, I live in England now and I put a lot of the reasoning for their support down here down to TV coverage of the Champions League a decade or so ago when they rarely lost at home. The commentators were always going on about the "fantastic atmosphere", totally ignoring what was being sung. They also used to play a lot of testimonials down here but thankfully they seem to be near blocked from playing in England now as I think their true nature is finally being seen. Rangers though have always been preferred by more, far more, than them, though these days few really care that much about either of us. I always make a point of putting anyone interested in both clubs right though!
Tbh, mate, I reckon future generations in England won't give a toss for either of us, and future generations in Scotland will support English sides.

Reactions: ao2
I think Birmingham has the largest Irish descendants per Capita in England. Birmingham has the largest St. Patrick's parade in England apparently
must be some size , as Manchester parade was estimated to have 100,000 on the streets before covid struck

Dont know so much, i was on a course once in England and a Millwall fan was on it.

Loves the Rangers and as English as they come.

I said in my experience. I’m sure there are exceptions.

Of course a Millwall fan is a Millwall fan. They might support Rangers as a second team but I’m talking about guys for who Rangers are their proper team. Not some sort of “blues brothers” affinity

I remember a few years ago they played Chelsea at The Bridge in a “friendly” the Micks had to get police protection everywhere and got locked in pubs for there own safety Chelsea were baying for them they have no love whatsoever for them.They hate them nearly as much as us.

I remember a few years ago they played Chelsea at The Bridge in a “friendly” the Micks had to get police protection everywhere and got locked in pubs for there own safety Chelsea were baying for them they have no love whatsoever for them.They hate them nearly as much as us.
A lot were locked into a pub at Fulham Broadway and police couldn’t clear a path to get them in until well after game started

Mate, it's the same problem down there as we have up here. Show any patriotism to the Union flag or Indeed the St George's flag and you immediately become a far right thug. When Jon snow mentioned on the ch4 news about there being a lot of white people in London the day brexit went through, we all knew what he was implying. Voting Brexit meant you were a racist. Must be confusing for them now that Irelands having an immigration problem, all down to the far right or as we now know, they mean fascists.

Right now there are lecturers up and down the UK who are turning young people into activists against anything that is seen as patriotic. That post by Jeanette Findlay yesterday is an example, but she isn't the only one in the UK, not by a long way.
It’s like that with everything these days mate people just find anything to be offended by to cause controversy just ridiculous when people are trying to call themselves a penguin you know the worlds gone bezerk!!

Apologies to all the penguins if I’ve caused offence

Don’t forget there strongholds of the Oirish Republicans in England, Liverpool for instance! What riles me they love the Oirish Republican myth so much, sop taking the U.K. pound and **** off to your mythical land and clear us of your Scum!
Yep all majors cities , Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham have large Irish centes

There are many of Irish decent in England, Having some Irish grandparents, or great grandparents certainly wouldn't be enough to make your average englishman support Hammas and the IRA and become a scum fan.

There's no Celtic FC or divisive SNP to spread posion so most of them guys are proud British people that would certainly be Rangers leaning.

But if your an English lefty your going to lean towards anything that you think would make you less British. Its just lefties trying to say "Oooh look at me I support an Irish team to honour my Celtic roots"

I knew an English lefty he couldn't decide who to support in the Euro 2020 final because he had an Italian Grandma - strange way to think he had never been to Italy in his life.

Well, I mean, like it or not, they were. (It obviously fell by the wayside for about a century the second they realised there was cash to be made out of this football lark, but there's no denying their reasons for forming.)

When it comes to us, we were formed simply for a sheer love and passion for the game by young, ambitious and committed lads, who not only wanted to play football, but wanted to be the best - and they achieved it... and then some!

We had no political or religious affiliations for the first few decades of our existence, then became linked to the Orange Order and Loyalism after the arrival of shipyard workers from Belfast who attatched themselves to Rangers.

We've sang in support of loyalist paramilitaries - I ignore people who claim we're singing about the original UVF in the same way I ignore scumbags who claim they're singing about the original IRA - who also killed indiscriminately... including Protestants.
Yet we still draw support from that community.
Many of them are (rightly) proud of their Scottish heritage despite being born in NI, like generations before them. I'd imagine that's the case with that mob and their English born fans: they'll have Scottish or Irish ancestry.
The Louden plays songs about the UVF and I can assure you It is about the Irish people during the First World War.
I have never been to Ireland, The British, or the foreign part, but people should recognise the debt we ( the free world ) owe these people who died at the likes of The Somme and every other battle as well as the Second World War and all the other Conflicts since then.
It's called Respect
Celtic stopped their charity donations after the first year

I can never understand why we (England) celebrate st Patrick’s day much more than St George’s day which is barely recognised it’s all very hypocritical and confusing

Considering the history and everything they stand for you’d think they would be all Rangers.
You saw the last attempt at celebrating St George’s day in London was met with Met Riot police with battons drawn and condemnation about far right hooligans.

Imagine for a moment the Met acted like this on St Patrick’s day.

The IRA's bombing campaign in England should mean no normal Englishman could support them
The vast majority do not, however there is a minority of 2nd 3rd and 4th generation plastics usually thick as mince who couldn't point to Ireland on a map.Having worked alongside them for years most have no interest in the clatty mob from the east end.

The Louden plays songs about the UVF and I can assure you It is about the Irish people during the First World War.
I have never been to Ireland, The British, or the foreign part, but people should recognise the debt we ( the free world ) owe these people who died at the likes of The Somme and every other battle as well as the Second World War and all the other Conflicts since then.
It's called Respect
Celtic stopped their charity donations after the first year
I didn't say I didn't respect the original UVF and those who fought in The Great War, mate. I do respect them. My point was: we're kidding ourselves on if we are saying we haven't had links with the terrorist UVF post-1960s.

I know Celtic stopped the charity after the first year. I mentioned that in my post.

As an aside - and obviously this isn't aimed at you, but it's interesting to play Devil's Advocate - many of our fans will talk about English (or Scottish) fans of that lot having no ties to Ireland because they're actually 2nd or 3rd generation removed, but my ties to Glasgow are 4 generations removed. Should I not be supporting Rangers?

Should Rangers fans from Northern Ireland not be supporting Rangers because they're many generations removed from Scotland?

I realise it strays somewhat from the question asked by the OP but I think it's an interesting addition to the conversation.

Last edited:
I said in my experience. I’m sure there are exceptions.

Of course a Millwall fan is a Millwall fan. They might support Rangers as a second team but I’m talking about guys for who Rangers are their proper team. Not some sort of “blues brothers” affinity
Fair shout.

Walking around carlisle city centre last week pre old firm game I couldn't help but notice how many of them I seen, can't say I've noticed it before. INFESTED!!!

Last edited:
To my dismay a lot of Arsenal fans I know have them as their 2nd team

No one knows anything about Scottish football, the cheating, child abuse case, the IRA etc. People think this hits their reputation but forget that no one pays any attention to that stuff outside the Old Firm bubble

To them its associated with woke lefty anti establishment types. Students in posh areas, liberals, pro Palestine types. They have a vague idea that Celtic are trendier to follow & thats it. And you know what, f uck them. I’d be repulsed if folk like that followed us

Irish “businessmen’ in Glasgow realised Irish “businessmen” in Edinburgh were making money from a football club using their religion as a front.

They were local criminals who saw a scam in the making, under the guise of charity.

Their current biggest shareholder, another notorious criminal, is just continuing the scam, under the guise of charity. Brother Waldo was just the " respectable " front man for the operation.

Worked with a guy from the Clydebank area who was a Spurs season ticket holder down south but now had one at the Gadd stad, kind of intimidated it made his life in Scotland a whole lot easier

Paddy's Day is just an excuse to get absolutely blootered these days. 99% of the people in the world celebrating it don't give a flying fvck about the actual history and just want to drink their weight in Guinness.

When we were down the leagues i was on a works night out in the city centre one friday night.
Im at the bar and got talking to a couple of English guys who turned out to be Leeds fans who told me they were up for the Rangers game the following day. Told them i always thought most Leeds fans would lean towards them.
In their words they said only the paddies would lean towards them and no proper English football fan would side with them.

I know of a Royal Marine who not only attends their games when he's up, he sits in front of the Green Brigade section and posts selfies on Facebook with them behind him and raves about the experience. Meanwhile they're singing songs revelling in the murder of people like him only a few years ago, and they still detest him and his fellow service personnel to this day. It's utterly bizarre.
What a crank.

Reactions: ao2
I’ve known a few, one was because he was catholic. The others as their left wing hipsters that have to support them, St. Pauli and the likes.

Most fans of them from down south have Irish or Scottish parents.
This. Also some based on ex filth that plied their trade down here. One fella I used to work with named his son Charlie (as in Nicholas) as that was his favourite Arsenal player. A few West Ham fans follow them because of McAvennie, Hartson and Di Canio. These are guys of my age group, over 50. But sadly whilst their behaviour over protests, poppies etc, got a little coverage, it was not enough to change older minds.

I’ve never known an English fan of them who didn’t have some usually tenuous family connection. Of course there are family connections for our English fans too, however, there are many many Gers fans in England without too. Usually those with Armed Service connections and also from when English teams were banned from Europe and most of the national team played for us.

Had to unfortunately go in to the city centre yesterday morning around 10ish. Obviously scum fans everywhere, couldn’t help but notice a few of them with English accents around central.

I know there will be some down there that maybe moved down, but it must be hard to be born and bred down there to then come up here and be amongst thousands that hate you and your country. It would definitely make me question my support for sure.

Or maybe they are as confused as the ones up here and also believe they are Irish.

Thoughts?
One of the worst experiences I've ever had was when I worked in a place with an English Celtic fan,
A right bitter one,

Hated us with a passion and as a result took every opportunity to annoy me,
The boss saw it and did nothing to stop it,
not even one of them as well,

Some of the other employees that were from here and supported them never behaved like him,

I guess it's a bit like those who grew up in our background but support them,
It's like they're trying to prove that they're a super fan,
Imagine wanting to prove that to a bunch of losers like them,
There are some very strange folk about!

This. Also some based on ex filth that plied their trade down here. One fella I used to work with named his son Charlie (as in Nicholas) as that was his favourite Arsenal player. A few West Ham fans follow them because of McAvennie, Hartson and Di Canio. These are guys of my age group, over 50. But sadly whilst their behaviour over protests, poppies etc, got a little coverage, it was not enough to change older minds.
I worked in London for 10 years and never met a single football fan that supported them,
In fact they detest them,
They seem to favour us though,
That's boys that supported Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, QPR

Back