English sides in Europe

TPB90

Are we going to start seeing them competing for the Champions League again now? The 5 sides in it have 5 of the best coaches in the world and have only took 1 loss in a combined 20 games thus far.

City look outstanding and Spurs also done very well.

Man City and Tottenham are the only ones who should be taken seriously IMO.

Liverpool are shite and concede far too many goals, Chelsea are a basket case and their manager will be sacked/gone soon and Man Utd are the most boring team you could watch and there's no way they'll beat an elite team over two games.

City and Spurs also the best for me. To see someone like Spurs win it would be simply tremendous to break the back of the big guns.

Man City should have a couple of good runs until Pep chucks it after his 3 years are up. At the moment they look like favourites.

City are playing some unbelievable football at the moment. If any English side can do it this season, its probably them.

I wanted to put my foot through the tv when I saw the reaction of the Spurs fans when they scored tonight.

Pumping Real Madrid and they looked like they were at a pro-am tennis tournament. Pricks.

I would love to see Spurs win it. They deserve a bit of success after their performances the past couple of seasons.

Football does work in cycles. It wasn't that long ago 3 out the 4 semi finalists were from England. Then the great Barca team happened, & the likes of Bayern & Real Madrid soon followed suit & those 3 dominated.

Now while still strong, they all don't look as formidable as they once were. The English clubs also have top coaches now, (Pep, Mourinho, Conte, Poch & Klopp) and the money to back it up, so the pendulum look like it might start to swing. I think it also depends on if those managers are afforded the time to develop their sides further.

Of course, PSG will have something to say about it as well.

Football does work in cycles. It wasn't that long ago 3 out the 4 semi finalists were from England. Then the great Barca team happened, & the likes of Bayern & Real Madrid soon followed suit & those 3 dominated.

Now while still strong, they all don't look as formidable as they once were. The English clubs also have top coaches now, (Pep, Mourinho, Conte, Poch & Klopp) and the money to back it up, so the pendulum look like it might start to swing. I think it also depends on if those managers are afforded the time to develop their sides further.

Just read this. Agreed.

Man City and PSG are probably the best teams in europe at the moment. The final isn't for 6 months though, and a lot can happen in that time. With the likes of Real, Bayern etc struggling, it does make for a more interesting competition. If Spurs can hold on and win that group it could give them a great chance at really progressing into the latter stages.

I think there could still be 4 at the quarter finals stage. Liverpool vs Man Utd? :cool:

Man City have been immense so far this season. I can see them going all the way to win the Champions League. In saying that, Real and Barca will be different propositions in the knockout stages and PSG are no mugs. It could get interesting.

City and Spurs look very good but if Mourinho gets his tactics right i wouldn,t disregard United just yet.
I have more chance of winning the Champions League than Manchester United. Absolutely shite side who have ridden their luck. If John Guidetti hadn’t missed a sitter at OT, they wouldn’t even be in the tournament.

It will be hilarious when PSG knock them out.

Hope Real recover and win the tournament.

I have more chance of winning the Champions League than Manchester United. Absolutely shite side who have ridden their luck. If John Guidetti hadn’t missed a sitter at OT, they wouldn’t even be in the tournament.
But you don't.

All you have is a passionate hatred for Utd.

Nothing wrong with it - just amusing.

It's hilarious watching the clowns on Soccer Saturday and The Sunday Supplement praise Pep through gritted teeth after labeling him a fraud etc last season :D

Man City or PSG to win it

The 2 in form teams of the tournament so far but a lot will change between now and May.

It's hilarious watching the clowns on Soccer Saturday and The Sunday Supplement praise Pep through gritted teeth after labeling him a fraud etc last season :D

He's basically playing Football Manager with a cheat code f f s.

His team is phenomenal to watch though i'll give him that.

The 2 in form teams of the tournament so far but a lot will change between now and May.

He's basically playing Football Manager with a cheat code f f s.

His team is phenomenal to watch though i'll give him that.

This is just nonsense, I'm afraid.

He didn't have a player in his starting line up last night who wasn't there last season, if you can't see the improvements these players have made simply by his coaching then you are kidding yourself on.

Edit: he had Danilo who isn't even a first choice.

Man City or PSG to win it

Can't see any other outcome at the moment. There was a wee spell last night when City were 2-3 up where they just kept the ball and Napoli couldn't get anywhere near it. They're absolutely phenomenal.

And let's just say I'm very much looking forward to the poets going to Paris and might even actually break the habit of a lifetime and watch them.....

This is just nonsense, I'm afraid.

He didn't have a player in his starting line up last night who wasn't there last season, if you can't see the improvements these players have made simply by his coaching then you are kidding yourself on.

Edit: he had Danilo who isn't even a first choice.

Danilo and Ederson. So that's 2 already when you initially said there was none, both of which cost a combined 60m.

I am not debating his credentials as i acknowledged City are playing some outstanding stuff but he has an unlimited pit of cash. He spent 130m on FULLBACKS alone this summer, that should tell you all you need to know.

Yes praise him for his style but he should be doing extremely well at Man City, everything is in place for him there.

To think, all it actually took was pep.......

All it took was Pep?

Didn't he just spend £300m + on defenders alone?

I would like to see City or PSG win it to see a new name on the trophy. Fed up with the same old teams winning it.

Funny to see people saying City and Spurs are great, and United are shite.

Didn't United just beat Spurs at the weekend?

Man United will improve as the season goes on.
I don't think they'll be good enough to win it, but they could well be thereabouts.

It's difficult to gauge just how well Guardiola is doing at City given that spend on his defence. You could argue that others could do a similar job spending that money!

Danilo and Ederson. So that's 2 already when you initially said there was none, both of which cost a combined 60m.

I am not debating his credentials as i acknowledged City are playing some outstanding stuff but he has an unlimited pit of cash. He spent 130m on FULLBACKS alone this summer, that should tell you all you need to know.

Yes praise him for his style but he should be doing extremely well at Man City, everything is in place for him there.

How many hundreds of millions have Man Utd spent under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho? It's not that easy down there.

Yeah, he spent a lot of money on fullbacks this summer but that's them got their fullbacks for the next 5/6 years, he's admitted as much already. It was a long term investment, and the fullbacks are crucial to the way he plays.

What about the improvements in Stones, Sterling and De Bruyne this season? All down to money?

How many hundreds of millions have Man Utd spent under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho? It's not that easy down there.

Yeah, he spent a lot of money on fullbacks this summer but that's them got their fullbacks for the next 5/6 years, he's admitted as much already. It was a long term investment, and the fullbacks are crucial to the way he plays.

What about the improvements in Stones, Sterling and De Bruyne this season? All down to money?

I've now said 3 times i am willing to accept that he has improved Man City, but you don't seem to be as willing to accept a large part of that is down to money spent.

For Man City to beat Napli away 4-2 is a huge statement, they are awesome

man city or psg for me please

Mourinho knows how to win it, and is at his best with unfancied teams - Inter and Porto.

Man City look unstoppable. I know they spent a fortune on their defence in the summer, but it shows, they've got a goalkeeper who actually saves things and better full backs, even though Mendy is out till next year.

Pep has pushed players like De Bruyne and they've become ever better. They must fancy themselves against anyone in the competition.

Out of the 5 sides in it, do you think they would rather win the league or Champions League?

All it took was Pep?

Didn't he just spend £300m + on defenders alone?

I would like to see City or PSG win it to see a new name on the trophy. Fed up with the same old teams winning it.

Funny to see people saying City and Spurs are great, and United are shite.

Didn't United just beat Spurs at the weekend?

Man United will improve as the season goes on.
I don't think they'll be good enough to win it, but they could well be thereabouts.

It's difficult to gauge just how well Guardiola is doing at City given that spend on his defence. You could argue that others could do a similar job spending that money!
To be fair I was being disingenuous, but has he really spent more than Pochettino? They are absolutley dominating every team going in front of them at the minute.....

Back