EPL closing transfer window before season starts as of 2018

This is a good thing, I never really understood it running into the season, either have open transfers throughout the season like we used to have or close it pre-season.

Sounds good but what will happen when European clubs whose windows are still open come in for their best players. I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth already.

I think it's a great idea. Hopefully a lot of big European leagues follow suit.
Only issue is if a club comes in for a player while their window is still open then they can't be replaced.

I don't agree with it purely based on it should be the same for every league.

Let's say soemthing like the Coutinho saga goes on again thats 2 weeks where the window is closed for England and where Spain could still purchase the player with no option of replacements. I understand they could refuse any offers but if the player pushes for it then they at times don't have an option.

I think they should just have one summer transfer window and end it for the season. Leaving it open during the first month of the season, then for a further couple of months gives rich teams a much bigger advantage.

I don't agree with it purely based on it should be the same for every league.

Let's say soemthing like the Coutinho saga goes on again thats 2 weeks where the window is closed for England and where Spain could still purchase the player with no option of replacements. I understand they could refuse any offers but if the player pushes for it then they at times don't have an option.

You do realise Liverpool didn't sell Coutinho? English clubs still hold all the cards over nearly every club in the world due to the vast TV money. They don't have to sell if they don't want to.

Cant see that making a lot of difference

Means rich teams having a poor start to the season cant just go and splash millions of pounds to turn it around if they have made a lady's front bottom of it in the transfer window. Something which most teams don't have the ability to do.

You do realise Liverpool didn't sell Coutinho? English clubs still hold all the cards over nearly every club in the world due to the vast TV money. They don't have to sell if they don't want to.
He did say that to be fair.

I'd scrap the window all together. It's a nuisance. A wee surprise signing mid season when you were least expecting it used to perk me up

Good move but it really needs the rest of Europe to do the same

It puts them at a real disadvantage, my guess is Spain wont do it as they don't have the same money in tv. Every country under UEFA should start their league on the same day and at 00:00 should be the end of the transfer window. I know I am really contradicting myself here but the countries who should be allowed to start when they want are the poorer colder countries such as ourselves who should be starting at the 1st European qualifier for the next number of years. We could re-negotiate the tv deal the lot.

Of course I know that. I also said it was possible they can reject it.

I meant it's possible the Coutinho saga could go on NEXT summer.

Also it could work out to be more of a disadvantage to the smaller teams. Hypothetically Barcelona/Madrid fancy Jamie Vardy (again hypothetical) and put in an outrageous offer on 30th August one that Leicester can't refuse it's likely they have a player who really wants to go but no option to replace.

Think this could bite clubs on the arse.Of course you don't have to sell your players to Spain or wherever but money talks and you could be stuck with an unhappy player you can't replace.

I'd scrap the window all together. It's a nuisance. A wee surprise signing mid season when you were least expecting it used to perk me up

agreed ......... wasn't always big signings either , sometimes clubs could sign players that weren't getting a game & pick up a bargain

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will be good to have all the squads finalised before a ball is kicked though and will mean a lot of work ahead for the people in charge of transfers at Premier League clubs.

Also good for teams in other countries as well as they can sell to Premier League clubs and still have a few weeks to find a replacement of their own rather than all the last minute rushing around.

I don't believe in the Transfer Window at all. Be as well doing away with it altogether.

Not sure how well it will work unless everyone is the same. I think it's better than the way it is now though.

Good idea but don't think it will work unless everyone does the same. I'm assuming that will only give the Premiership clubs one month to buy players?

I don't know why the original way was changed anyway.

So will the rest of Europe fall into the same line then? Seems odd for them to do if not, but one things for sure, obscene levels of cash will still be spent, it'll just be spent quicker.

Good idea but don't think it will work unless everyone does the same. I'm assuming that will only give the Premiership clubs one month to buy players?

I don't know why the original way was changed anyway.
Teams outwith England may also bump up the price knowing that premiership clubs have a shorter window to get players in.

I would prefer the SPFL to stay end of August as it would give us a better chance of getting their players cheaper or good ones on loan.

Be very interesting to see how this works, 2nd what other leagues consider this. I'm not sure I would necessarily have changed it, what I would change is the international dates clashing with the end of the window. Mental that at a busy time for transfers players are all.over the world with their nations and not at their clubs.

Good for England.

But someone made this point on TalkSport earlier:

Imagine if Real Madrid signed a superstar after the English window closed, and the club and Bale were looking for a move to England. Then it couldn't happen until the next window.

Little issues like that would be frustrating for different countries to do deals.

There will be a player in an EPL team that will take this to court like Bosman did.

It'll be viewed as an infringement on working rights

Back