Eric Caldow

Southernlion

Thanks Mo. As always, a well researched piece on one of our greatest players. Possibly the first modern full-back at Rangers. Epitomised the over-lapping technique. That left side in the 60’s had Davy Wilson in front of him and Slim Jim in midfield. Counter that with an almost strong right-hand side of Wee Willie on the wing and Ian Macmillan as wing half supporting a front two of Jimmy Millar and Ralphie Brand behind him to his left. Now, that was a team I watched and loved.
It was a great trip down memory lane but a slight quibble with Stanley, was it not Alex Scott on the right wing with Henderson replacing him towards the end of the era?

happytobeblue

I was eight at the time Eric had his leg broken,and any footage i've seen of that game obviously centred on Baxter's two goals,but very little of the Smith tackle on Eric.
Was it a deliberate leg breaker,or badly mistimed tackle?

barrheadbear

Thanks for that, wonderful read of a genuine Ibrox legend. As a youngster I grew up on stories from my dad of just how great a player Eric Caldow was (and many others beside).

Far too many players of recent times are termed legends despite their stint at Ibrox being relatively short, not the case with Caldow.

Arminius

Official Ticketer
I think I’m right in saying he also started the local boys club in Strathaven, when he lived there.

Could be wrong, but I’m sure I read that on here.

Like numerous others have said already, he was my Dad’s hero. Also used to quote the Ritchie Shearer Caldow team at me as a kid.

Wonderful player. Thanks for posting Mo. :)

Paisleyprod

Official Ticketer
Good post mate. Eric was a total gent. I was fortunate enough to meer him several times and even had dinner with him in club deck hospitality once and he proudly recalled his career without being boastful and mentioned his remarkable disciplinary record too.

Alex Venters

I've been told by 2 people who saw him play, still go regularly to Ibrox and whose opinions I value, that he's the best left we've had in the past 60 years.

One of the first ever overlapping full backs and was probably the best left back in Europe before his horrific leg break.
The German,Schnellinger,might have had that accolade but Caldow must've been up there.

Alex Venters

I think I’m right in saying he also started the local boys club in Strathaven, when he lived there.

Could be wrong, but I’m sure I read that on here.

Like numerous others have said already, he was my Dad’s hero. Also used to quote the Ritchie Shearer Caldow team at me as a kid.

Wonderful player. Thanks for posting Mo. :)
He did.
I spent a lot of time in the town as a youngster.

barneythebear

My old mans hero and 1963 when he broke his leg was my Old mans first trip to Wembley - I have one of his signed Scotland Jerseys hanging in my house with a copy of the programme and a ticket stub from the same game ( old man didn't have room for it when he moved to do it justice ) so its now in my custody.

Me and my Brother bought it for him for his 50th 26 years ago from an ad in the Rangers news.