Eric Cantona

the voice

Burns Night marks the infamous day Cantona kung fu kicked the Palace fan, 23 years ago now.

Got me thinking about the mercucial Frenchman, undoubtably a Manchester United legend, adored by the fans, and scorer of some absolute screamers. Seems insane that he retired so early, just as he turned 30 - SAF must have been pulling his hair out over that one. A player I'd love to have cheered on at Ibrox.

Remember as well that we ended up being his bogey team - think he played against us three times, twice in the Battle of Britain for Leeds (when he was the only foreigner on the pitch) and once for Man United when he was sent off in a 1-0 defeat. Rangers 3 Cantona 0.

Did he actually ever finish a game against us? I remember the red card game againdt Man U and him being subbed at least once in the Leeds games.

Did he actually ever finish a game against us? I remember the red card game againdt Man U and him being subbed at least once in the Leeds games.

Played the full game at Elland Road. A certain Rodney Wallace came on for him at Ibrox

Currently reading Michael Cox's the Mixer (great read btw, highly recommended for anyone obsessed by tactics). He dedicates a chapter to Cantona and basically says he dragged English football into modernity, showing why a technically gifted number 10 was worth its weight in gold everywhere else in Europe. Basically paved the way for the likes of Zola, Juninho, Kinkladze etc

Read thread title and thought it was going to be.... Eric Cantona refuses to act in any more features unless Moussa Dembele is signed up too.

He eventually scored with 4 mins to go against us... he got close all game but Andy Goram was out of this world that night.

I can still remember my Dad going ape shit at the tele when Leeds scored....I was like, calm down Dad, we are through :D

Back