Eriksen to be fitted with a heart starter

Not something to expect to hear a super fit footballer get fitted.

I wonder if testing on athletes will increase after this incident.

Does this suggest they've found an underlying condition?

Heard a doctor on the radio the other day saying whether he played again would be dependent on what they found, but if he had any kind of damage/scarring from the incident, then in the UK he'd certainly not be allowed to play again.

Does having something like this mean he's more or less likely to be back on the field?

PS - The doctor also mentioned the amount of testing they get and that this doc had actually worked with him (Spurs I assume) and done testing on him, so was worried they'd missed something when he went down. Then pointed out he'll have had subsequent tests at Inter, who would've had to miss it too.

Heard a doctor on the radio the other day saying whether he played again would be dependent on what they found, but if he had any kind of damage/scarring from the incident, then in the UK he'd certainly not be allowed to play again.

Does having something like this mean he's more or less likely to be back on the field?
Daley Blind has the same device in his chest, so it's possible he'll be ok to continue playing I guess.

Amazing news if he does indeed manage to get back on the field playing again. To go from that situation watching what appeared to be him gone and the horrendous feeling at the time to him being back out there would be sensational stuff. Testament to all involved. Fingers crossed that's where it's headed.

Maybe it’s just me, but with millions in the bank, a good career behind me and a young family, my boots would be in the bin after that.
Maybe, but you have to remember to most of these guys it’s not just a job but a livelihood, a passion and a hobby all rolled into one.

You’re totally right in that he’s set up for life, and the worry that playing again might put on his family but he’s most likely at his happiest on a football pitch.

Will be gutted for him if he can’t play again.

There's always coaching and TV punditry.
Does having one of these devices fitted affect life expectancy?
I understand they are to keep him alive in the short term but will he still go to old age I wonder?

I've a pacemaker and never heard it called that.
I think it's different. Is a pacemaker not more for generally regulating/managing heart rates using mild electircal pulses/shocks, while what he's getting is more like a defibrillator that shocks the heart into restarting/regulating again if it stops/falls to a dangerous level? Sounds similar when I write it like that but I think it's the jist...

Daley Blind has something similar fitted does he not? And still playing top flight football.

Yeah he has collapsed a couple of times now (three times from memory) you wonder if its worth the risk for these guys who are obviously financial sound with young families - is it worth exerting your body day in day out - which could potentially lead to heart failure / cardiac arrest.

Glad CE appears to be out the woods and may even get back playing football - on Saturday night I didn't think that would be the outcome watching that.

Maybe it’s just me, but with millions in the bank, a good career behind me and a young family, my boots would be in the bin after that.
100%. He’s highly thought of and a very good footballer. Quite capable of having a career in coaching.

I think it's different. Is a pacemaker not more for generally regulating/managing heart rates using mild electircal pulses/shocks, while what he's getting is more like a defibrillator that shocks the heart into restarting/regulating again if it stops/falls to a dangerous level? Sounds similar when I write it like that but I think it's the jist...

Think so mate. I've had heart problems since birth and to be honest the pacemaker was fitted during an operation as a bit of an afterthought so I'm not entirely sure what it does. As far as I know it does as you say and just keeps it on the level.

There’s a guy called Lorenzo Ebecilio who had one fitted after suffering a heart attack at 14, he’s 29 now and has had a full career playing for the likes of Ajax, APOEL and Red Star Belgrade without any issues.

Evander Sno (formerly of Celtic) also had one of these fitted after he had a heart attack on the pitch in 2010, and he ended up playing for another 7/8 years.

Something weird about the fact that Eriksen, Ebecilio, Blind and Sno have all played for Ajax, it’s a rather unfortunate coincidence.

Yeah, Danny Blind has the same thing I think. I read it described as a 'mini-defibrillator', which basically gives an electric shock if it identifies the heart has stopped or is out of rhythm.

Goodness knows how they supply it with enough power to do that. You'd imagine it would need a fair sized battery but they've obviously got around that somehow.

I think his family will likely say to him, stop you’ve had a warning here. Retire and enjoy the cash. And I’m sure he wouldn’t want to put his wife through that again.

And yet, the desire to play football is very strong in these guys, it’s a compulsion I think.

Potentially means he will be able to play again - a la Daley Blind ??
I was reading about it and Daley Blind’s condition is to do with having heart muscle inflammation. He has been fitted with a device less intrusive than a traditional ICD which is prescribed for patients perceived to be at risk of sudden cardiac death, which is what Eriksen’s condition is.

Eriksen’s heart failed on the pitch, so I cannot see him playing football again unfortunately, but a small price to pay to be able to live and see his kids grow up.

There’s a guy called Lorenzo Ebecilio who had one fitted after suffering a heart attack at 14, he’s 29 now and has had a full career playing for the likes of Ajax, APOEL and Red Star Belgrade without any issues.

Evander Sno (formerly of Celtic) also had one of these fitted after he had a heart attack on the pitch in 2010, and he ended up playing for another 7/8 years.

Something weird about the fact that Eriksen, Ebecilio, Blind and Sno have all played for Ajax, it’s a rather unfortunate coincidence.
As I was reading your post I was thinking of the Ajax connection.

And I think we can add Nwankwo Kanu as well, though I can't remember if he ever had an on field episode to speak of.

Ajax also had a young player, Nouri, who collapsed before defibrillators were a common thing at matches a few years ago. Read a story about him not long ago, he was in the same youth team as a lot of the guys who came out of their academy in the last few years. Unfortunately in his case his brain was starved of oxygen for too long and he was left permanently brain damaged, article said he was still bed ridden and unable to even communicate. A real tragedy as he was apparently one of the best in that team.

Hope that he does the right thing and seriously thinks about stopping but agree that it is a competitive passion that will keep him going.
Just look at others in the world of sport,who are minted,but go through operations but keep going--Andy Murray,Roger Federer,Tiger Woods to name just a few.

An ICD is an Implanted Cardiac Defibrillator. It monitors and tries to correct any pacing issues with your heart .

It’s used for people with atrial fibrillation which, while undesirable, is not immediately life threatening but can lead to stroke so is normally used with blood thinners.

The life threatening condition is ventricular fibrillation which could be what happened to Eriksen. That needs immediate treatment, and I mean immediate. An ICD recognises the condition and shocks the heart back into a sinus rhythm. A pacemaker does not do this. An ICD is a super intelligent device which records all sorts of stuff to do with your ticker.

100%. How could you ever settle on a football pitch again and not think about it when you're running around?

I was reading about it and Daley Blind’s condition is to do with having heart muscle inflammation. He has been fitted with a device less intrusive than a traditional ICD which is prescribed for patients perceived to be at risk of sudden cardiac death, which is what Eriksen’s condition is.

Eriksen’s heart failed on the pitch, so I cannot see him playing football again unfortunately, but a small price to pay to be able to live and see his kids grow up.
In theory, he could, but not in the UK or Italy as they don’t allow it apparently.

but if Christian wore a wireless device (or the heart device) which could detect disruption in the rhythm in his heart and could be immediately stopped playing then technically he could.

that’s in theory of course, the reality is, it’s unlikely

PS - The doctor also mentioned the amount of testing they get and that this doc had actually worked with him (Spurs I assume) and done testing on him, so was worried they'd missed something when he went down. Then pointed out he'll have had subsequent tests at Inter, who would've had to miss it too.
Testing is okay but the only way to find out what is happening in and around the heart is an echo cardiogram similar to what pregnant woman get when looking at the baby and only available in hospitals and they're amazing bits of kit and I for one have seen my own heart beating and hearing it is really strange but great as well

I was just about to say the same, the amount of players who used to or currently play for Ajax with heart conditions is strange.

I think his family will likely say to him, stop you’ve had a warning here. Retire and enjoy the cash. And I’m sure he wouldn’t want to put his wife through that again.

And yet, the desire to play football is very strong in these guys, it’s a compulsion I think.
I get it, it’s what he does and he won’t want to give it up. But he has nothing to prove and if I was in his shoes I’d be thinking of my wife and weans. Think of the stress you’d be putting them under watching you play.

I would be very surprised if he played again, but the wonders of modern technology might make it a possibility.
I'm not sure if it would be a wise move on his part.
Daley Blind is back playing again with a Starter fitted, can’t see why CE won’t.

I don't think until your in this position you could understand any decision to be made. Even when the condition is diagnosed he will have different symptoms to others. In terms of......not playing or just be happy with what he has.

The good thing he will have the best of guidance along the way.

I absolutely understand the point that if he is at increased risk whilst playing football he should call it a day.

Is it the case though that if he has this condition it is any more likely to happen again whilst playing or training as opposed to being at home watching TV? Is it the case that having to keep as fit as these guys do increase the risk of the same thing happening again?

Boy I used to work with had one fitted after a heart attack and it went off at work one day. Must be some shock as he went body popping across the room and then went to his knees. Had to then go to Raigmore till they download what happened and reset everything.

Potentially means he will be able to play again - a la Daley Blind ??
Hope so, CE is a wonderful footballer. I never ever want to witness those horrific scenes from last weekend. Thank God he’s still with us. It was harrowing enough for those who don’t know him, how must his teammates, management staff felt and how could his family comprehend what was going on for those 15 minutes or so.

Maybe, but you have to remember to most of these guys it’s not just a job but a livelihood, a passion and a hobby all rolled into one.

You’re totally right in that he’s set up for life, and the worry that playing again might put on his family but he’s most likely at his happiest on a football pitch.

Will be gutted for him if he can’t play again.

Yeah, true. And these guys also have a mad drive about them that gets them to the very top and he won’t want to finish like that either.

Thats his decision and even more importantly, his families.

Throw in the towel. One hell of an escape, take it.

An ICD is an Implanted Cardiac Defibrillator. It monitors and tries to correct any pacing issues with your heart .

It’s used for people with atrial fibrillation which, while undesirable, is not immediately life threatening but can lead to stroke so is normally used with blood thinners.

The life threatening condition is ventricular fibrillation which could be what happened to Eriksen. That needs immediate treatment, and I mean immediate. An ICD recognises the condition and shocks the heart back into a sinus rhythm. A pacemaker does not do this. An ICD is a super intelligent device which records all sorts of stuff to do with your ticker.

Do we actually have a resident heart surgeon on FF, impressive stuff if so ? :)
Hopefully he can continue his career if he's able and wishes to do so. Remarkable what the medics achieved, it did not look good.

If I were him I would be seriously considering hanging up my boots.

What makes you get this condition that he has? Clearly he is a fit guy, in terms of exercise and diet so how can someone who probably lives a very clean life get such a heart condition.

Yet someone i.e me so far who doesn't live so clean can go through life without a heart condition.

Back