Euro 24 - England Squad announcement

Unfortunately for England its not just Southgate that's the problem

The defensive options are absolutely shocking for a team with their quality. LB especially is a disaster

Compare their defence to France. Totally different planet.

Talksport saying Rashford hasn’t made the 30.

Doubt Southgate goes to Utd in the summer now although it was always fairly unlikely anyway

Why do they make a big deal of a 2pm announcement but just give a few different names to a few different journalists in the 6 hours before.

James Trafford lost his spot and number 1 and Burnley in March and hasn't played. Absolute shambles if he gets in ahead of Butland and Pope

Unfortunately for England its not just Southgate that's the problem

The defensive options are absolutely shocking for a team with their quality. LB especially is a disaster

Compare their defence to France. Totally different planet.
Don’t think Saliba even gets a game for France does he? Probably been the best CH in the EPL this season.

Aye but if they win it they aren’t going to leave the trophy in Germany are they?

Thought you were buying into their "it's coming home" garbage. About a trophy they've never had in their house.

"Can't wait for the weekend, Dua Lipa gets back home to mine." Delusional.

In: Jarrad Branthwaite, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Curtis Jones, Jarell Quansah, Luke Shaw, Ivan Toney, James Trafford, Adam Wharton, Dean Henderson, Marc Guehi.

Out: Ben Chilwell, Jordan Henderson, Reece James. Rashford.

According to the Athletic.

In: Jarrad Branthwaite, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Curtis Jones, Jarell Quansah, Luke Shaw, Ivan Toney, James Trafford, Adam Wharton, Dean Henderson, Marc Guehi.

Watkins must be in the squad surely? He has been far better than Toney who has been fairly poor imo since he came back?

That lad Wharton looks a right good player. Linked with a move to Bayern in the summer.

Watkins must be in the squad surely? He has been far better than Toney who has been fairly poor imo since he came back?

That lad Wharton looks a right good player. Linked with a move to Bayern in the summer.
It’s just listing the players who were on the bubble when It came to being selected.

Midfield and attack is as good as any, including France. You're likely to have players like Grealish, Rashford, Maddison and Sterling (arguably the best player at the last Euros, certainly one of them) not even go. The likes of Gordon, Eze and Bowen will go but might not get much of a kick.

You would really worry about that defence if either Stones or Walker get injured though. And seeing as Shaw has spent most the season in the treatment room and Chilwell isn't the player he was after so many injuries, the left-back spot is potentially a big concern. Mitchell has been excellent for Palace this season and has already been capped by Southgate. No idea why he isn't make the squad.

Don’t think Saliba even gets a game for France does he? Probably been the best CH in the EPL this season.
Yeah Saliba, Konate and Mendy can't even get in the starting XI

Meanwhile Harry Maguire will be a nailed on starter for England whilst they deliberate over whether they shoehorn Tripper or Levi Colwill in at left back

Yeah Saliba, Konate and Mendy can't even get in the starting XI

Meanwhile Harry Maguire will be a nailed on starter for England whilst they deliberate over whether they shoehorn Tripper or Levi Colwill in at left back

Konate was garbage for Liverpool at the back end of the season and cost them points. Saliba I'm pretty sure has fallen out with Deschamps and is why he generally isn't selected. He prefers Upamecano who is genuinely shocking.

Maguire has always been solid for England and has a good partnership with Stones. He's been part of a team that has made finals and semi-finals.

classic

Shaw not played for months - IN
Chilwell , back playing - NOT IN

classic

I used to be a fan of Chilwell but he's been horrible since returning from his latest injury and was also garbage in England's recent games.

An 80% fit Luke Shaw is better than the current version of Chilwell. Although I do get your point.

classic

Quansah hasn’t looked great at Liverpool either whereas Timori seems to get very good reports playing for Milan.

Surely having the extra players would have gave him a chance to have a closer look at Timori? Especially as Stones and Maguire have missed a fair bit of football this season?

Tomori is in a strange league for the likes of Gareth

don't think he's been as good as he was when people were calling for him to be in the team last time around either

I used to be a fan of Chilwell but he's been horrible since returning from his latest injury and was also garbage in England's recent games.

An 80% fit Luke Shaw is better than the current version of Chilwell. Although I do get your point.

i don't rate either but surely if you;re taking one (and he has to with Trippier now a bombscare)
take the one playing

Quansah hasn’t looked great at Liverpool either whereas Timori seems to get very good reports playing for Milan.

Surely having the extra players would have gave him a chance to have a closer look at Timori? Especially as Stones and Maguire have missed a fair bit of football this season?

Quansah may turn out great but no caps, a handful of games for Liverpool & barely any under 21 caps either
vs Timori playing well in Italy

decisions like this baffle me

i don't rate either but surely if you;re taking one (and he has to with Trippier now a bombscare)
take the one playing

Quansah may turn out great but no caps, a handful of games for Liverpool & barely any under 21 caps either
vs Timori playing well in Italy

decisions like this baffle me

Yeah, the omission of Tomori is just Southgate snobbery because he's playing in Italy. I don't think he's as good as some have made out at times but he's definitely good enough to be one of the four centre-backs.

If Shaw isn't fit enough right away to start he will go with Trippier as he's played there a number of times for Soutgate. Not only is he not the player he was, he will also make the side unbalanced as he cuts inside all the time and passes the ball infield. Any natural left-back would be a better option than Trippier, even someone like Doughty who had a decent season individually with Luton.

Mitchell at Crystal Palace should be there imo.

Rashford has been high on his own supply for far too long - he’s blown it.

Eze is twice the player, and Gordon far more effective currently. I'd say he's behind those two and Grealish.

For his own sake, Rashford desperately needs a move from United and a change of scenery.

Last edited:
Mitchell at Crystal Palace should be there imo.

Both him and Doughty would be better choices than Trippier. The latter will make the team unbalanced, pass the ball infield every time he has it, and generally bore the shite out of everyone.

If England break their hoodoo I could see them dominating several tournaments in a row, like Spain from 2008-2012. Their conveyor belt of talent is ridiculous.

At the same time it’s completely mad that an English manager hasn’t won their league since 1992. Southgate is third rate.

If the England players collectively largely ignore Southgate's pish then they have every chance of winning the tournament.

His nonsense will only stifle their potential and individual capabilities.

They have to just humour him, play as they can do at club level and they can definitely win it.

Both him and Doughty would be better choices than Trippier. The latter will make the team unbalanced, pass the ball infield every time he has it, and generally bore the shite out of everyone.

Trippiers performances this seasons should be enough to make him miles away from their squad
cost them in numerous games, usually from winning positions inc the cup game at Stamford Bridge in the last minute

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

No SJB

From our perspective it's far better that Butland have a summer to relax rather than spend it away with England where he wouldn't play a single minute. No doubt folk will say 'aye but we'd get more money for him if he was at the Euros' - nonsense. He would've been 4th choice goalkeeper.

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

No SJB

take away the incredible attacking options they have
a lot of players in there that either

a) are injured or just coming back - Shaw, Toney
b) are back ups in their clubs - Ramsdale, Gomez
c) terrible seasons - Trippier
d) barely tested at top level - Quansah, Mainoo, Wharton

James Trafford? Who? Southgate is taking the piss picking him ahead of SJB. Feels like an intentional dig.
Not really. Trafford is seen as the future for England. A 3rd string keeper has about a .00001% chance of playing at a tournament so might as well take a young kid with a future to experience a major tournament. Butland himself benefitted from this in 2012.

From our perspective it's far better that Butland have a summer to relax rather than spend it away with England where he wouldn't play a single minute. No doubt folk will say 'aye but we'd get more money for him if he was at the Euros' - nonsense. He would've been 4th choice goalkeeper.
Third in the actual tournament. You don't take 4 goalkeepers.

Back