Europa League last 16- Rangers

bobally

It might be just me but the lack of excitement about Thursday's game is weird. We are in the last 16. An outside chance to progress to quarter finals. Rangers name all across Europe in terms of tv coverage(counted 40+channels showing us). Biggest game in years coming up IMO.

Are we playing it under the radar.

Excitement definetely dipped with all thats going on but no doubt we will all be buzzing on Thursday. Would be incredible if we turn it around. Have Leverkusen been playing friendlies to keep fit, how have they been fairing?

It might be just me but the lack of excitement about Thursday's game is weird. We are in the last 16. An outside chance to progress to quarter finals. Rangers name all across Europe in terms of tv coverage(counted 40+channels showing us). Biggest game in years coming up IMO.

I'm excited

Who knows what can happen on Thursday

If we were to get through it would be very interesting and a great achievement

Tall order but let’s see what happens

We got utterly slapped around in the first game, that's why. Although we were playing poorly in the lead up to it, we were heavily outplayed.

Football's the greatest sport there is for pulling out a surprise though, 2 set pieces and everything can change

Looking forward to it. I actually forgot we scored in the first game thought it finished 0-3.

Early goal so who knows. A bit of a kick in the stones that if we turn this around we still need to play the rest of the games and qualify for next year's as well.

Who knows, but get any thoughts of the germans being caught short by not being properly prepared, out your head. Just not in their DNA.

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of posters thinking the Germans will turn up significantly less fit or match-fit than us. I just can't see it. Hence I'm not that excited.

Win the game and we win 550k

progressing is too much of a ask tbh, but the cash is a massive incentive

Already covered but the first leg dampened the excitement a little. Bit of a shame it went ahead as we weren't in a good place at that point and a one off tie would have been very exciting!

I really love watching us play (and particularly if we play well) against good teams so will be up for it on the day!

We're already out, so all-out attack for 90 minutes from us and you never know. Stranger things have happened in a football match.
I don't know about already out, but we have a free hit.
1 goal to them does not really change too much, we can't go through without scoring 3, and if we manage that, 1 or 0 conceded doesn't put us out.

Of course, 3-0 puts us through and 3-1 sees extra time.
But I expect our fitness and match sharpness to be a benefit should it go to extra time.

The Germans never underestimate or underprepare?
Well, their biggest priority is surely Bundesliga 20-21, so that could also be a plus for us.

To be fair we need to beat a world class team 3-0. It isn’t happening. It will still be great to play on the big stage and we could come away with a morale boost.

No one gets match fit by not playing games against decent opposition. If Lever haven’t played any friendlies, they can be beaten.
You keep believing that the germans wont be prepared then. To be honest, we have only played one game, no matter how you look at it, they were kick abouts.

I'm more interested in Sundays game than this one if I'm honest, by Thursday I'll probably be buzzing convinced we can beat the Germans 3-0 right enough.

Scoring 3 without conceding away in Europe is not exactly common for most teams - even ones with a lot more in their armoury than us

But we have to give it a go & we all know stranger results can happen-

We're firmly in the underdog category - that can easily work in our favour if we're smart -

Of course the longer we go without conceding- the more chance we have & we need to keep any psychological pressure on them as long as possible

I'm not confident in pulling this off - but I won't give up hope till it's all over

They won comfortably at Ibrox playing in 2nd gear, a minimum of 3 goals is a tall order in Germany despite the fact they haven't played much recently. Best we can hope for is prob a draw or sneak a 1 goal victory I would imagine.

Will our spfl fixtures be moved to help us if we did progress? ;)

Yes

St Mirren postponed

Sure UEFA want teams to stay in Germany if they progress so St Johnstone and Livingston would be the same if next Monday night happens and get win the quarter-final

Win the game and we win 550k

progressing is too much of a ask tbh, but the cash is a massive incentive

That is the group stage winning fee

We won't get anything money wise even if win the game and don't qualify - get coefficient points

€1.5m is the qualification payment

Think it is a case of the 3rd goal killing us mate but by Thursday at 4ish this place will be buzzing no doubt about it.

Really hope we come flying out the traps and get them off guard.

A lot of people downplay how good Tav is but if he is able to stay on the pitch till the end that goal isn't conceded. An absolute gutter he went off.

Still though, I cant wait till Thursday.

Yes

St Mirren postponed

Sure UEFA want teams to stay in Germany if they progress so St Johnstone and Livingston would be the same if next Monday night happens and get win the quarter-final
Aye right. The SPFL will have us flying back and forward daily then send us into quarantine before making us play the outstanding league games in the one week in the name of sporting integrity even if we win the Europa League. I doubt that the Scottish Government would even permit us to bring the cup back to Scotland.
Or am I just paranoid? It’s a conspiracy I tell you!!!

It's a very tall order as they are a good side. But their last game was a month ago, they've only played intra squad friendlies since and we should be a little sharper.

You look at a few of the great comebacks in Europe in recent years, they all went in believing they could do it. We get an early goal, who knows.

Scoring 3 without conceding away in Europe is not exactly common for most teams - even ones with a lot more in their armoury than us

But we have to give it a go & we all know stranger results can happen-

We're firmly in the underdog category - that can easily work in our favour if we're smart -

Of course the longer we go without conceding- the more chance we have & we need to keep any psychological pressure on them as long as possible

I'm not confident in pulling this off - but I won't give up hope till it's all over
Lyon..

Was the first game we carried our poor league form into a European match and the third goal killed the tie. Shame as I think we’d have had a real chance if we’d played like we did earlier in the tournament.

They'll be looking for an early goal to kill the tie for definite, we are tremendous at countering, anything can happen..

Last edited:
Was the first game we carried our poor league form into a European match and the third goal killed the tie. Shame as I think we’d have had a real chance if we’d played like we did earlier in the tournament.

Not quite sure how much it was poor form. I thought they were an excellent side. Too fast and accurate for us, albeit without carrying a lot of goal threat in the first half. But thought they were a huge jump up from Braga.

I really hope they're underestimating us and getting off to a good start will be key to turning this around, not expecting to do it but hopeful as always.

Back