Europe vs Domestic

Blueranger1872

We’ve had some decent results vs decent teams in Europe the last few years. One thing I can say is we never seem to put up the same fight against the bheasts as we do in the Europa. The space O’Reilly had in both the shot before his goal and his goal was criminal, but I can’t help but think if that was a European game we were playing someone would have closed him down.

I don’t know if it’s because in Europe it’s great if we win but in the league we have to win that the players can’t seem to drum up the same fighting spirit.

It’s depressing

We’ve had some decent results vs decent teams in Europe the last few years. One thing I can say is we never seem to put up the same fight against the bheasts as we do in the Europa. The space O’Reilly had in both the shot before his goal and his goal was criminal, but I can’t help but think if that was a European game we were playing someone would have closed him down.

I don’t know if it’s because in Europe it’s great if we win but in the league we have to win that the players can’t seem to drum up the same fighting spirit.

It’s depressing
I can't remember any team getting as much space in and around our box as they did. %^*& knows why that was the case, but It's how I seen it.

We have a mental block about facing Celtic.

It's like watching Frank Bruno against Mike Tyson.

We simply do not have players with the footballing talent or the mental fortitude to take them on and beat them regularly.

We have a losers' mentality and we won't get back on top until the current squad has largely been moved on.

There just seems to be this air of "well, what can we do?" emanating from this group of players.

They don't have it in them and they never will.

It’s depressing

The captain freely admitted this in his programme column a few years back.

It'll remain one of life's mysteries as to how this team went to places like Dortmund, Porto, Rotterdam, Seville, Lisbon, Eindhoven and wherever else and got great results then act like rabbits caught in the headlights every time they played celtic.

It's sickening.

We simply do not have players with the footballing talent or the mental fortitude to take them on and beat them regularly.

We have a losers' mentality and we won't get back on top until the current squad has largely been moved on.

There just seems to be this air of "well, what can we do?" emanating from this group of players.

Totally agree with this.

It'll remain one of life's mysteries as to how this team went to places like Dortmund, Porto, Rotterdam, Seville, Lisbon, Eindhoven and wherever else and got great results then act like rabbits caught in the headlights every time they played celtic.

It's sickening.

Because there isn’t the same level of expectation.

It’s depressing
We've given our rivals a £60m head start and been unable to beat them since Gerrard left as manager. Are we really going to go along with happy clapping nonsense and kid on our European record somehow covers our deficiencies domestically.

It’s depressing
The legacy of this squad will be good results and performances in Europe, in fact they are one of our best European teams but failure to deliver in domestic competitions

This, in buckets. Unfortunately.

It's sickening.
It’s not a mystery, pressure comes from expectation, There’s zero expectation on us to beat any of they teams you mentioned!

There is pressure though to win the league and beat Celtic

We're refereed to a different standard in Europe compared to domestically and this should never be overlooked.

We've given our rivals a £60m head start and been unable to beat them since Gerrard left as manager. Are we really going to go along with happy clapping nonsense and kid on our European record somehow covers our deficiencies domestically.
If you're going to use the rather droll, and wholly unimaginative, term "happy clapping", could you at least use it in context.

The poster you replied to didn't even remotely suggest our European exploits covers our domestic deficiencies.

He's not saying that.

We’ve struggled against Celtic’s all action style since Ange came in. Their movement is very good and it drags us all over the place. They’re also well up for the games, so no matter how much we get up for it, they’re likely going to match it.

In Europe, we’re playing different types of teams, who generally play with less intensity. Doesn’t mean Celtic are better than them, but does give us a better chance at getting a result.

The core of it is, yes. The success in Europe and the inability to beat celtic has spanned more than this season.

And the Lisbon and Seville results were this season

Tav, Goldson, Barisic, Lundstrum.

That's the only ones that have played most games and have been around since Gerrards time. 4 players isn't a team.

The team who got to the Europa league final got absolutely pumped 3-0 at Parkhead on a night when some players visibly shrunk, the game was over at half time.

2 weeks later we went to Dortmund and won 4-2. It has to be a mentality thing, weight of expectation combined with a lack of belief.

Back