Docherty
Aribo

Morelos
Defoe
Jones
Arfield
Ojo
Stewart

Barker and King will presumably be added to this squad so who will be the 2 to miss out on European football?

Tough to chose but I think those at risk would be Barasic, Halliday, Docherty and Stewart. Halliday does offer some flexibility in his position so think he's probably sound though.

I'd imagine King in for Docherty. Docherty has improved on his loan spell but I think King would offer a clear step up in quality in a box to box role.

I'd then imagine Stewart interchangeable for Barker, depending on performances/training, since I know little about both.

It does feel were a bit heavy on LBs, and with no stand out yet, I'd rather wait till we get a settled LB then see who drops out.

This doesn't factor in the home grown rules etc which might change that selection.

Last edited:
From what I've seen of Barker (albeit from a few years ago) I don't think he's replacing anyone, there hasn't been a poor performance from anyone he is in direct competition with, and I honestly can't say re King. I don't think that I've seen him play so can't comment on him.

I know we lack in our own homegrown players, meaning we can only register a squad of 21-22 max, but is there still a requirement for x amount of players to be trained in Scotland?

Do we really need three keepers? I would be tempted to leave out Andy Firth to make room for one of them but the other one is difficult and only SG and his team will be able to decide when seeing all of them in training.

Do we really need three keepers? I would be tempted to leave out Andy Firth to make room for one of them but the other one is difficult and only SG and his team will be able to decide when seeing all of them in training.

Was thinking the same. Would having Firth in the squad really be much of an upgrade on a youth keeper acting as 3rd choice instead?

And if a keeper gets injured or suspended we're left with no keeper on the bench?

No chance. Look at Liverpool right now. All it takes is an injury and a suspension and we're playing European games with Katic as goalie

I’m pretty sure you need to register 3 goalkeepers.

Hasite’s not in the OPs list.

But Hastie, Docherty and either Barker or Stewart will miss out.

However the transfer window isn’t closed.

There might be another one or two players have to miss out. :))

That’s right.... for this round. But he is currently a rangers player who may need left out should we reach the Europa league proper.
We can't leave him out to make for King or Barker because he's already out the squad. That's who the original list is. That's why Polster's missing too.

McGregor
Foderingham
Firth

Tavernier
Edmundson
Helander
Goldson
Flanagan
Katic
Barisic

Jack
Davis
Halliday
Kamara
Docherty
Aribo

Morelos
Defoe
Jones
Arfield
Ojo
Stewart

Barker and King will presumably be added to this squad so who will be the 2 to miss out on European football?

No sure if they will need to be in all honesty King and Barker will most likely be squad players.
(maybe not Barker)

But especially King might be left to play more league games when we have EL game in same week

Firth, Halliday, or Docherty seem favourites. King coming in.

Barker won't make the squad the same as Hastie, Polster and Murphy.

King and Barker shouldn’t make it; they haven’t even been in the door long enough to prove their form!

Halliday and Docherty are two of our four home grown players (McGregor our only home grown club grown player). We need 8 between the two camps and we only have 5 registered. We can’t swap either Halliday or Docherty for King or Barker.

For what it’s worth I see Hellander coming in for Edmunson. Maybe Firth coming out for someone. If we lose both keepers through injury in an Armageddon scenario like that we could bring back young McRories from loan

For what it’s worth I see Hellander coming in for Edmunson. Maybe Firth coming out for someone. If we lose both keepers through injury in an Armageddon scenario like that we could bring back young McRories from loan

Helander and Edmundson are already in.

Halliday can play there and Flanagan is looking like 1st pick. Can you rely on him to not to pick up some wee injury??

It's all about opinions but Andy (I really do love his commitment to the jersey) is 3rd choice for me, Flanagan I can make a case for given his form at the end of last season and the beginning of this season, notwithstanding a dodgy moment or two.

I reckon we will counter-attack in Warsaw which Barisic is tailor made for and it may well be Flanagan at Ibrox in the return (depending on 1st leg result). Andy for me is limited in both defence and attack but I love the fact he is with us and ready to go when ever called upon in any game.

Barisic will not be left out of the EL squad - indeed it would be madness to do so.

Halliday and Docherty are two of our four home grown players (McGregor our only home grown club grown player). We need 8 between the two camps and we only have 5 registered. We can’t swap either Halliday or Docherty for King or Barker.
We have six home grown players on the list, one out of four for our own system and 5 from other teams in Scotland. We can replace one of the five with a non Scottish player.
If we have one home plus 4 Scottish development players the squad will a maximum 22.

Is Docherty not guaranteed a spot under home grown rule?
Minimum 4 required , we have 5 in the above list.
Jack, Halliday, Docherty, Stewart and Arfield.
One can be replaced with a non Scottish player

Back