Exciting final day in Bundesliga season

I haven't read through all the posts so l'm sorry if l maybe repeat somebody else's post , but what happened to Dortmund today could affect their title ambitions for years. That is a difficult thing for those players to get over.

Especially when Bellingham is off to Real Madrid.

It was always guaranteed Dortmund wouldn’t win the league. Watch for over inflated sale of player to…Bayern during summer as compensation.

Utterly bizarre scenes yesterday. Brazzo fired - which he apparently knew about beforehand - yet he's still out there dancing on the pitch with the players when they won the league. Muller etc. in disbelief.

FC Hollywood indeed.

As crushing as that is for BVB, I think deep down their diehard fans wouldn't be entirely shocked at how it panned out. A Spurs-y narrative has been running through the club for years; Klopp was the closest they ever got to moving on from it.

It will be quite some time before the bottle merchants that are dortmund,will get near Bayern.This was their chance and they blew it.

Last edited:
Can’t think of anyone top class bar Bellingham there right now. They tend go the other way in recent times.

I'd agree with that. It's a really average team.

Marco Reus must feel like chucking it. Wonder if he actually would have if not for the Euros next summer.

Utterly bizarre scenes yesterday. Brazzo fired - which he apparently knew about beforehand - yet he's still out there dancing on the pitch with the players when they won the league. Muller etc. in disbelief.

FC Hollywood indeed.

As crushing as that is for BVB, I think deep down their diehard fans wouldn't be entirely shocked at how it panned out. A Spurs-y narrative has been running through the club for years; Klopp was the closest they ever got to moving on from it.

Someone else made a point on here yesterday that the behaviour of their fans after the game is part of the problem.

“Don’t worry lads it’s okay! You tried your best. Never mind the fact Bayern let you back in about 4 times in the last two months.”

Someone else made a point on here yesterday that the behaviour of their fans after the game is part of the problem.

“Don’t worry lads it’s okay! You tried your best. Never mind the fact Bayern let you back in about 4 times in the last two months.”

Rafa Honigstein had a brilliant quote about that in one of his recent articles. "Dortmund is a great place to make a good living and play pretty football for those who aren’t quite elite material or still developing their potential, but it breeds a mentality of getting comfortable in failure."

Bavarians are just another species entirely when it comes to mentality.

Found the whole Club to be like that for years now. Seem to like this persona of being ones who develop players and do everything nicely - you just have to see how many Brits go on about them with Sancho and Bellingham and even Haaland now.

Reactions: VGM
Rafa Honigstein had a brilliant quote about that in one of his recent articles. "Dortmund is a great place to make a good living and play pretty football for those who aren’t quite elite material or still developing their potential, but it breeds a mentality of getting comfortable in failure."

Big time that last sentence mate, I really noticed that when living in Munich, many people used to say similar.

Found the whole Club to be like that for years now. Seem to like this persona of being ones who develop players and do everything nicely - you just have to see how many Brits go on about them with Sancho and Bellingham and even Haaland now.

“Everyone’s favourite second team”

Big time that last paragraph mate, I really noticed that when living in Munich, many people used to say similar:

Go back and watch the last day of 2001 season when Hamburg score in 90th minute.

Kahn just grabs the ball and charges up to the centre circle for kickoff.

Most cunts would be laid out in the turf, thinking they’d blown the title.

In what way? Genuinely curious
Very refined overall, some would say boring, very much about success and winning, tended to look down on other parts of Germany. Not for one minute saying all were like that as they weren’t, met and worked with some great folk but very different to other parts of Germany. I’ll always see Munich as proper wealthy. There was a reason why they had a zone out of the centre for the young ones to go on the piss I always thought. When I was there they voted against having the Winter Olympics there, Munich born and bred lad I knocked about with a bit said it was the “not in my backyard” mentality of many. The apartment rentals were cartel like (probably same in other gaffs to be fair) in that your struggle finding anywhere without paying a finders fee to one of the few agents. Companies used to struggle getting people to go work there because the rents were so high (I paid 900 euros a month in 2014 for a 28 square metre apartment), it’s about 1300 now, could be more. Microsoft were on about actually building flats to get people to go, it maybe happened. Lovely City and I love going back but the wealth and attitude of many was crazy at times, I probably drank in the roughest boozer there in my two years there and it was nowt compared to many in Britain.I used to like going drinking around Giesing where 1860 are from, always saw them as the Club of Munich whereas Bayern the Club of the Bundesland.

Last edited:
What did she mean by it?Was it to do with the lifestyle of the people
Yeah the way they live really, way the City is in parts. She was actually English and a nice woman. Sure she said she saw it as similar to Vienna, which I kind of understand now. One thing I always remember her saying was they still have their Sundays, which was very true - bank holidays as well, next to nothing would be open. We used to get 40 euros by law for working on a Sunday and we couldn’t start before 9am, sure it was just Bavarian law.

What did she mean by it?Was it to do with the lifestyle of the people

Bit of an in-joke/stereotype in Germany that Bavarians see themselves so superior to the point they like to think of themselves as Italian rather than German. More cultured etc.

"Mia san mia" - the club motto - is a Bavarian take of "we are who we are". "Mia san Mia stands for the complete will to succeed," explained homegrown Bayern star Thomas Müller. "That's how we manage to turn games round so often. There's no middle ground, only wins. "Mia san Mia stands for a hardcore winning mentality."

Youth players are basically indoctrinated in this mindset from when they're kids in the academy. So much so that they don't even require media training when they make the step up . A lot of people, particularly those up north, think it extends to the wider culture.

It's best embodied in guys like Schweinsteiger and Lahm. The new breed don't quite embody that kind of invincibility yet, even taking into account days like yesterday.

Very refined overall, some would say boring, very much about success and winning, tended to look down on other parts of Germany. Not for one minute saying all were like that as they weren’t, met and worked with some great folk but very different to other parts of Germany. I’ll always see Munich as proper wealthy. There was a reason why they had a zone out of the centre for the young ones to go on the piss I always thought. When I was there they voted against having the Winter Olympics there, Munich born and bred lad I knocked about with a bit said it was the “not in my backyard” mentality of many. The apartment rentals were cartel like (probably same in other gaffs to be fair) in that your struggle finding anywhere without paying a finders fee to one of the few agents. Companies used to struggle getting people to go work there because the rents were so high (I paid 900 euros a month in 2014 for a 28 square metre apartment), it’s about 1300 now, could be more. Microsoft were on about actually building flats to get people to go, it maybe happened. Lovely City and I love going back but the wealth and attitude of many was crazy at times, I probably drank in the roughest boozer there in my two years there and it was nowt compared to many in Britain.I used to like going drinking around Giesing where 1860 are from, always saw them as the Club of Munich whereas Bayern the Club of the Bundesland.

Always had you down as a weinschorle-drinking Bogenhausen man :D

Places like Grunwald and Tegernsee are a different world. Think most BVB players live in Dusseldorf with a pretty cushty set up but you can see the temptation when Bayern and the chance to move there arises

Bit of an in-joke/stereotype in Germany that Bavarians see themselves so superior to the point they like to think of themselves as Italian rather than German. More cultured etc.

"Mia san mia" - the club motto - is a Bavarian take of "we are who we are". "Mia san Mia stands for the complete will to succeed," explained homegrown Bayern star Thomas Müller. "That's how we manage to turn games round so often. There's no middle ground, only wins. "Mia san Mia stands for a hardcore winning mentality."

Youth players are basically indoctrinated in this mindset from when they're kids in the academy. So much so that they don't even require media training when they make the step up . A lot of people, particularly those up north, think it extends to the wider culture.

It's best embodied in guys like Schweinsteiger and Lahm. The new breed don't quite embody that kind of invincibility yet, even taking into account days like yesterday.

They are the club that every other one should aspire to be.

They revel in their role as ruthless bastards. My admiration for them only gets stronger every time they fúck the next hapless team over.

As for Dortmund, me no likey. I find something incredibly off about them. They put themselves on a pedestal which they have no business being on. Like our pals across the city and down in Liverpool they seem to see themselves as some sort of self appointed morality police for football purity that makes me boak

They revel in their role as ruthless bastards. My admiration for them only gets stronger every time they fúck the next hapless team over.

As for Dortmund, me no likey. I find something incredibly off about them. They put themselves on a pedestal which they have no business being on. Like our pals across the city and down in Liverpool they seem to see themselves as some sort of self appointed morality police for football purity that makes me boak

Oh aye, I get that and have always thought it stems from them trying to find some kind of identity in reaction to the unrelenting big Red machine. I used to be pretty ambivalent towards them but there's something about the club that gets under your skin when they're playing well. Think the passion of the fans and just the intensity about the place. They have that Arsenal thing where they are haplessly insane to the point it's engrossing, for better or worse. Yesterday being a case in point.

Totally different mentality between the two clubs as you say, and no surprise players between the two find it hard to gel, even in successful national teams.

Few German Clubs like that. Union Berlin I see like that, do a lot of good things but seem to have decided they are the best at what many German Clubs and supporters do. Lot of new fans this last 5 years as well. BBC and BT Sport have the hots for them more than they do for Salford.

the sacking of Oliver Khan and Hasan Salihamidzic right after the final whistle shows that the top guys at Bayern were not happy with this season

one thing Bayern didn't do this season was replace Lewandowski's 35-40+ goals output and they need to do that in the summer

Still can't believe they threw that away.

Anyway, beers are chilling, ready for a day of food and drink and hopefully watching HSV clinch promotion

the sacking of Oliver Khan and Hasan Salihamidzic right after the final whistle shows that the top guys at Bayern were not happy with this season

one thing Bayern didn't do this season was replace Lewandowski's 35-40+ goals output and they need to do that in the summer
Do you think Kane would do the business over there? Looks like a tailor made fit.

Thankfully I have only ever seen us win the title in last day drama but how do you think our fans would react if we lost the league in that manner? I’m not sure I could forgive the team.

What about the Bundesliga 2 today?

Hamburg won 1-0 and were sitting in 2nd place...Heidenheim were 2-0 down, then 2-1, then scored in the 94th and 99th minute to win 3-2 and not only leapfrog Hamburg into the automatic promotion places but win the league.

Screenshot-2023-05-28-at-23-36-01.png

What about the Bundesliga 2 today?

Hamburg won 1-0 and were sitting in 2nd place...Heidenheim were 2-0 down, then 2-1, then scored in the 94th and 99th minute to win 3-2 and not only leapfrog Hamburg into the automatic promotion places but win the league.

Screenshot-2023-05-28-at-23-36-01.png
Hamburg are cursed by this point, and they are their own worst enemy.

This was really the season that they had to get promoted in, as you can see from the teams that have went up, it was probably the weakest the league has been since HSV got relegated. Now with Schalke and Hertha going down it will be very competitive.

I don't see them beating Stuttgart and from memory only two teams from the division beneath have won the play-off.

Back