Expanding Ibrox.

One thing that really must be considered if expanding in any way, shape or form is expanding the Albion car park. The board should be trying it’s utmost to secure the land up to the Esso filling station and also get permission to expand over the top of the railway sidings towards Helen Street. I believe this is a prerequisite for any expansion.
Councils do not like new car parks, it is difficult to get permission out of them for this because the public policy is to get more people to use public transport. The roads in Govan are probably busier than ever with Pacific Quay and the new hospital in the surrounding area, so I don't think that this a viable plan.

Ibrox is reasonably well served with the subway and the bus service at the moment but the closest mainline railway station is Dumbreck. There was talk of rebuilding Ibrox Station last year but I don't think it went beyond that.

There is one monumental bit of steel above the Govan that stands in the way of even "simply filling in the corners"

Safe Standing would be a good option !!

Hypothetically I would prefer the corners filled rather than the 3rd tier on the Govan/SJ stand

1- would look more symmetrical and better on the eye
2- would allow ordinary punters in rather than execs I think that’s one aspect we currently have well covered in the main st

Knock down all the stands except the main stand and have three tiers all the way round. And make them as close to the pitch as possible. 75000 would be ideal.
Why not go the whole way and go for 4 tiers and capacity of 100k

We should raise ticket prices by £5 immediately, possibly £10 in the the medium-long term.

As OP says, our tickets are like gold dust and we have record season ticket sales. The increase of £5 gives us an extra £4,608,000 of revenue every season.

Say we have 48,000 at every game. And 24 home games a season (18 league, 3 European, 3 domestic cup). 48,000 x 24 = 1,152,000.

1,152,000 x £5 = £5.76m

VAT @ 20% = £1,152,000.

£5.76m - £1,152,000 = £4,608,000.

We will fill the stadium anyway. For a reasonably small amount for each bear to pay per game, the clubs gets a lot of money.

Do it!

We should raise ticket prices by £5 immediately, possibly £10 in the the medium-long term.

As OP says, our tickets are like gold dust and we have record season ticket sales. The increase of £5 gives us an extra £4,608,000 of revenue every season.

Say we have 48,000 at every game. And 24 home games a season (18 league, 3 European, 3 domestic cup). 48,000 x 24 = 1,152,000.

1,152,000 x £5 = £5.76m

VAT @ 20% = £1,152,000.

We will fill the stadium anyway. For a reasonably small amount for each bear to pay per game, the clubs gets a lot of money.

Do it!

So you want season tickets put up £90 a pop ? About a 20% increase in most cases ?

Because if we had say a 60k capacity, it would allow us to sell 55k season tickets instead of 45k.

For bigger games against the mentally challenged, sheep and big euro games we would sell out.

Conservatively taking into account ticket revenue + food programmes merch etc we could be looking at an extra £5 million per year.

Why would we not look at the feasibility of doing this to try to narrow the gap on our turnover and the mentally challengeds.

Why is that so hard to understand?

At £300m it takes 60 years to pay this back. Not a great return on investment.

Just thought but if we need to spend serious money on Ibrox, the SFA need to do the same at Hamden, the RolF Harris is a shit hole. Surely one even bigger stadium for Glasgow is worth looking at? 100k capacity?

1,152,000 x £5 = £5.76m

VAT @ 20% = £1,152,000.

Do it!
SPFL is overpriced as it is. No thanks.

We'd lose far too much revenue in the short term due to not being able to sell as many season tickets (due do construction) to make any worthwhile expansion a distant thought for now in my opinon.

Best we could hope for is a cheap and easy way to add about 2000 seats.

It's conceivable that our support levels and demand for tickets has reached its lowest, ie Div 3 and on way up and as we get back to winning cups, leagues and are the dominant force once again, the demand will only increase, therefor, expansion is something that has got to be high up on the priorites list of the board.

The longer we don't the more potential revenue we are missing out on.

It's conceivable that our support levels and demand for tickets has reached its lowest, ie Div 3 and on way up and as we get back to winning cups, leagues and are the dominant force once again, the demand will only increase, therefor, expansion is something that has got to be high up on the priorites list of the board.

The longer we don't the more potential revenue we are missing out on.

100%

The demand for tickets right now is bonkers.

I have a good contact at Ibrox who helps me out with extra tickets (I also have 3 season tickets through my company before the ticket police get into me:)).

Anyway he says the demand for people to go and watch Rangers last season and this season especially is bonkers. In his opinion we could comfortably sell between 50k-£55k season tickets + have more choice for walkups, more chance of people getting 2 seats together etc.

He also says the demand for bar72 is phenomenal and could sell this area out many more times over.

I think we underestimate the demand there is to come to Ibrox and watch our team - the hunger there is to see us get back on top again.

Every game even against the likes of accies/livi etc sells out - yes there are single tickets available here and there, people seeling outside the stadium, supportors clubs with a couple spare etc BUT if our capacity was 55k-60k our average attendance would dramatucally increase.

Would it be 60k every week? Of course not but we would have an average attendance of at leat 55k with larger games selling sell outs or close too.

Now I know the priority is winning back this league and becoming no.1 in scotland again and we dont have pots of money BUT to get on more a level keel in financial terms we NEED to increase turnover, we are the biggest club in Scotland we NEED to have as many people able to come and watch our club every second week.

Rightly we are looking at the feasibility of an increase in capacity/potential to add bar72 style areas etc and Im sure we will do what we can but people saying we do not need to increase our capacity or have no demand to are wrong in my opinion and are bascically saying the mentally challenged have a bigger support than us.

100%

I have a good contact at Ibrox who helps me out with extra tickets (I also have 3 season tickets through my company before the ticket police get into me:)).

Anyway he says the demand for people to go and watch Rangers last season and this season especially is bonkers. In his opinion we could comfortably sell between 50k-£55k season tickets + have more choice for walkups, more chance of people getting 2 seats together etc.

He also says the demand for bar72 is phenomenal and could sell this area out many more times over.

I think we underestimate the demand there is to come to Ibrox and watch our team - the hunger there is to see us get back on top again.

Every game even against the likes of accies/livi etc sells out - yes there are single tickets available here and there, people seeling outside the stadium, supportors clubs with a couple spare etc BUT if our capacity was 55k-60k our average attendance would dramatucally increase.

Would it be 60k every week? Of course not but we would have an average attendance of at leat 55k with larger games selling sell outs or close too.

Now I know the priority is winning back this league and becoming no.1 in scotland again and we dont have pots of money BUT to get on more a level keel in financial terms we NEED to increase turnover, we are the biggest club in Scotland we NEED to have as many people able to come and watch our club every second week.

Rightly we are looking at the feasibility of an increase in capacity/potential to add bar72 style areas etc and Im sure we will do what we can but people saying we do not need to increase our capacity or have no demand to are wrong in my opinion and are bascically saying the mentally challenged have a bigger support than us.

Great post!

Whilst there are single tickets dotted around available for most games, they generally appear via the sell back system very late in the week prior to the match.

Supporting Rangers especially taking kids with you without season tickets is now very difficult. We should be looking at how we can ensure the support doesn’t become a closed shop, with revenue opportunities being missed.

A large, self funding Bar 72 area would be attractive to many supporters and bring premium income into the club.

Can anyone recall the impact on capacity during the Clubdeck construction phase?

100%

The long and short of it is if your capacity is 50K then that's as many paying punters you can get no matter the size of the ground.
If the capacity is 60K it may not always get to 60K but it will probably be more than 50K each game and close to or hitting 60K for the bigger games either way it's more ££ to the club and the cost of expansion would pay for itself in years to come.

It really does my tits in that they have a Bigger capacity. Also the apathy to re even talking about making Ibrox Bigger.

Agreed.

people saying we do not need or there is no demand to increase the capacity of Ibrox are in a backhanded way saying the mentally challenged support in scotland is larger than The Rangers.

This has never been the case in the past and is not true now.

Since we were formed we have always had the larger fanbase and the larger average attendances until mccann had the foresight to build/revamp the 60k all seated midden in the east end.

At the time mentally challenged attendances were around 20-30k if I recall but he still pushed the capacity to the max.

Now Im not saying the the yahoos fill it every week but they are able to sell 10k more season tickets than us and can fill it for the bigger games - this is what we need to do.

Last edited:
Back