Expected a tad more

Jamie19892017

So proud of the team and, yes, we were on a hiding to nothing, but I did think we played like a team who knew they were beaten from the off.

Leverkusen are a top outfit and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they dumped out Inter, but I can't help but feel a little surprised and disappointed by the lack of attacking intent and what looked like belief.

In no way am I in a mood with the team, just a wee bit surprised.

It did look a bit like a pre-season friendly at times.

We kept giving the ball away and making the wrong decisions. Taking short goal kicks when there are 3 opposition players lurking around the area seems to me to be a daft move.

Whenever we got the ball and tried to go forward, our players were surrounded.

But, anyway, a lot of players got good game time.

Playing a team several levels above us. We could and probably should have left with a draw. If Goldson headers towards the near post rather than across goal and Stewart should have scored when their keeper was fucking about with the ball in the box.

This Euro run is something to be proud of but not according to this place, everyone is shite and needs upgraded.

Playing a team several levels above us. We could and probably should have left with a draw. If Goldson headers towards the near post rather than across goal and Stewart should have scored when their keeper was fucking about with the ball in the box.

This Euro run is something to be proud of but not according to this place, everyone is shite and needs upgraded.

I'm immensely proud of them, mate. Just felt we could have played better tonight.

really crap performance , to be honest there was nothing to lose so dont know why the players just didnt go fo it and at least go out with a bang rather than a whimper , unless they thought they were already beten and didnt want to risk anything happening to them on what they seen as a lost cause

Huge ask from the team but I thought we should have shown better quality in the final 3rd

Alfie couldn’t get involved but ultimately we played against an incredible well drilled team

We were only going to have a chance if Leverkusen treated it like a pre-season kickabout, the third goal in the first leg realistically killed the tie. When it quickly became obvious that they were looking to control and kill the game we were out of ideas. No shame in it all, we were outclassed by a superior team. However, we can be incredibly proud of our European run this season.

If that had been the first leg, would we have fancied our chances in the return at Ibrox? I think we would have thought we could get through being 1-0 down.

So proud of the team and, yes, we were on a hiding to nothing, but I did think we played like a team who knew they were beaten from the off.

Leverkusen are a top outfit and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they dumped out Inter, but I can't help but feel a little surprised and disappointed by the lack of attacking intent and what looked like belief.

I thought bayer and there one touch play was supberb.
I was disappointed with Kent, Barker and Morelos.
Even Aribo who is probably our player with the best touch struggleled.

I doubt we will play a better team this year.

Dont know what I expected really. I'm just gutted we are so far off the top level of the game these days. Its heartbreaking how much we've slipped on the European stage since the 1990s. I know its not all our fault but I never thought in my younger days when I watched us go toe-to-toe with Bayern, Inter, Ajax, etc, that those times would ever end. Now they seem like nothing but a distant dream

Dont know what I expected really. I'm just gutted we are so far off the top level of the game these days. Its heartbreaking how much we've slipped on the European stage since the 1990s. I know its not all our fault but I never thought in my younger days when I watched us go toe-to-toe with Bayern, Inter, Ajax, etc, that those times would ever end. Now they seem like nothing but a distant dream
Where we are now felt like a distant dream 5 years ago. We made the group stages then went 2 better and got to the last 16 the next year.

Who knows where we will be in 5 years.

We’ve just had a preseason and played one competitive game before playing the best team we will come up against this year. We weren’t great but none of this has worked in our favour. The team have been superb in Europe this season. Time to get back to domestic duty and get the new boys integrated and look forward to the next euro campaign.

My pet hate surfaced a few times tonight and that's the long ball upfield to nobody and gifting away possession. Criminal really at that level.

They were a level above us. A really competent European side who would give anyone a game. When you consider where we were 3 years ago, we have made excellent progress.

I thought we were slow and set up looking for a draw and play on the break. They were a better team but we never looked like a team really wanting to win.

Personally think it was more ability and game plan than intent. Simply put - not good enough to create meaningful attacks against much superior players.

Was actually good result but not great performance. We were terrible in possession.
We were as good in possession as Leverkusen allowed us to be in every area of the pitch. We never had a second on the ball before we were closed down. Sometimes you just have to admit that we were outclassed.
That was the best team,by far, that we have come up against for a while.
Folk moaning about Tavernier on another thread complaining about not tracking his man at their goal. He did track him but the guy was just too fast for him.
They were a class above us last night.

Seen us play better seen us play worse tbh. Happy young patterson got game time and helander played very well, most of barisics deliverys will cause problems for teams this season. Can take some good from the game, some bad from it also but the folk in question tend to be immune to criticsism or its seen as bashing.

Our ball retention was as bad as I've seen - lately in Europe we've had a little more composure. Maybe we missed Kamara?

Not too concerned. Let's see if we can improve this year and have another good European adventure.

We have no business being in the last 16 right now. Ridiculous to blame the players for anything regarding our European run

We got into the last 16 on merit and through our own hard work and I agree with the OP and can see the point they are making. We just looked like we couldn't be arsed as the performance last night looked lackluster.

Third goal at Ibrox killed the tie. We were going through the motions against a good team last night.

At the back decent, going forward we offered absolutely nothing, I'm convinced they were happy to go out and not cause a fixture pile up. We were not playing like a team that wanted to score a goal never mind 3.

Just perhaps, despite all the positive talk, our management team looked upon this game as no more than a chance to get a further 90 minutes in players legs.

To be honest we were never going to overcome the two goal deficit. Play out the tie, don't get a thumping, don't over extended yourselves chasing a hopeless cause, we have more important business at Ibrox on Sunday might just have been the order of the day.

Or perhaps the reality is we were drawn against a far superior side who showed us just how far off being a top side we really are. I had the feeling all game that Bayer never got out of 2nd gear and once the goal was scored they went into cruise mode. We have had a great run, beating some very good sides along the way, nothing to be ashamed of when you eventually meet your match.

Personally think it was more ability and game plan than intent. Simply put - not good enough to create meaningful attacks against much superior players.

Exactly. Said this before the game, we barely laid a glove on them at Ibrox, they were technically superior and much faster than us. Even if we had looked more up for it, it wouldn't have made a difference. That's what happens when you get to the later stages of Europ comps.

Bayer could sell Havertz, buy our entire squad with the money and get change. That's the level of side we were up against in 32 degrees heat needing 3 goals.

They are superior to us in every aspect although Helander & Goldson were excellent.

Was a great run and im proud of the team. Last night and the first leg proved BL are a tidy outfit and a step up from us. Main thing was to avoid a right beating to dent our confidence for our main goal. Winning the league!! We can do it this season. Come on Rangers. :))

We were missing a quality player who is capable of taking the ball off the back 4 keeping possession then linking midfield to attack , but even if we had that player we had a striker incapable of holding onto the ball and giving us a chance to get up the pitch so everything we done just broke down just hope the deal has already been agreed as his value dropped again last night

No denying Leverkusen are a class team who will cause problems to clubs better than us. However, our overall attitude to yesterday's game was piss poor, it was as if we had given up before the first whistle. The short kick outs were a disaster waiting to happen,quite simply we do not have the players capable of playing out successfully against top class teams like Leverkusen. And when Mcgregorn did kick it long it went straight through to their keeper, poor decision making all round. Our passing was poor too as it was against Aberdeen second half, though I thought it was the pitch then, not so sure now.
As for Alfie, as much as I love the guy, he was a complete waste of a jersey and personally would not have him back in the team unless he decides to stay.

Remember we got put out by a part time team not so long ago. Moving in the right direction, going to take a bit of time.

Last edited:
Task was too tall against what was a very good team.

I take nothing negative or positive from last night. There is absolutely no point. It is one more game in the players legs against what was a really good outfit.

It possible our views are clouded by the fact they are a very very good team!!

Look at our bench as well - we are not even close to their level!

Aribo aside, if we want to play at that level, we need more out of Jack and Davis is probably going to be nursed through this season!

We need another midfielder - that is clear

Back