Fans being priced out of watching football

Rangers receive a pittance in TV and sponsorship money compared to EPL clubs so we get most of our money from our fans,It’s a fine marketing balance pricing our tickets yet we are expected to put a team together that can compete with Europes mid to top teams.

Overall though I feel that if people are being priced out or, rightly, choose to do something different for the football with their mates it's a real shame that is what it's become.
Another thing that's got to be taken into consideration, is the amount of games being played. Add in European and Domestic cup games, that's asking a hell of a lot from people. More so if you also go to see your national team.

Another thing that's got to be taken into consideration, is the amount of games being played. Add in European and Domestic cup games, that's asking a hell of a lot from people. More so if you also go to see your national team.
That's true. Europe can almost be never ending if you drop down from one level to the next plus the 2 domestic cups too. Of course, there is no obligation to pay, but the quick fire money that comes out the account can be mad.

I agree with the principle here but the aim is money, not necessarily profit! The clubs are allowed to lose a collective £2 billion over rolling 3 year periods which makes a mockery of all the money they bring in - it'll never be enough.
The Glazers, Stan Kroenke and the like have done very well out of the EPL without their respective teams actually winning it. The teams that lose money hand over fist are usually badly run like Everton or too small to actually compete (and badly run) for anything other than survival.
Agree with your point regards finances, it’ll never be enough and the losses are staggering.

If the clubs are trying to maximise profits they are failing spectacularly. Most of them lose money - a lot of it. I think they are trying to win the competition (or at least do as well as possible) and their solution is usually to spend more than they have including huge wages to very average players (by top level standards)
Ticket prices are a lot higher than they used to be but given most games sell out it's hard to argue they have got their pricing wrong (given waiting lists for season tickets it would be easier to argue they are too cheap). TV money means clubs could survive with no match day income though not at the level they currently operate v other top 5 leagues. The main beneficiary of price cuts would be re-sellers (touts) as their margins would increase. Of course those campaigning for cheaper prices would insist they would never cash in but all the evidence strongly suggests that many would.
The Premier league was formed by the first-division clubs following the 1991–92 season in order to maximize the economic potential of English football. The proposal
If the clubs are trying to maximise profits they are failing spectacularly. Most of them lose money - a lot of it. I think they are trying to win the competition (or at least do as well as possible) and their solution is usually to spend more than they have including huge wages to very average players (by top level standards)
Ticket prices are a lot higher than they used to be but given most games sell out it's hard to argue they have got their pricing wrong (given waiting lists for season tickets it would be easier to argue they are too cheap). TV money means clubs could survive with no match day income though not at the level they currently operate v other top 5 leagues. The main beneficiary of price cuts would be re-sellers (touts) as their margins would increase. Of course those campaigning for cheaper prices would insist they would never cash in but all the evidence strongly suggests that many would.
The league was formed by the first division clubs following the 1991–92 season in order to maximize the economic potential of English football as proposed by Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United and Spurs. Of those 5 clubs, only Everton seem to have been so badly run that they have failed to turn much profit.
Most of the rest are too small to maximise profits as they are, as you point out, utilising the huge sums from TV revenue to pay inflated wages to inferior players. I’m sure they would all love to make a profit, but the current set up and the difficulty in actually staying at the table means they usually have to splash the cash to survive, Forest for instance compared to the three relegated teams from this season.

That's true. Europe can almost be never ending if you drop down from one level to the next plus the 2 domestic cups too. Of course, there is no obligation to pay, but the quick fire money that comes out the account can be mad.
Your right, but there has always been a lot of people who take pride in attending as many games as possible. Would be interesting to know how many actually do that now. Traveling to away European ties are costly enough. I could never do them all, more of a pick and choose in the cl for example.

Are you saying the club sell his ticket for Arsenal for £1500 and give him the money? Is that not the same as a tout hiking up the price outside the ground?
He has two choices, he can sell privately and basically the club allows him to invite someone to his seats electronically, or the club takes the ticket back and sells at the going rate, and yes, he gets that money less a commission. The 8 grand needs paid up front, that's the only issue!

Talking of fans being priced out of football, I'm going to the NIv Spain game in Majorca in 2 weeks.... £46 for a ticket!!!! Spanish FA taking the piss.

The price of tickets for everything is getting out of hand these days.

The regular punter is getting priced out of all big sporting events and concerts etc.

Just absolute greed.

I’ve given up my golf club membership this year and thought about a getting a season ticket again with the money, but I take it I need to join Mygers and try to build up points before I get a sniff of one?

Any of these clubs that suddenly come upon hard times will be desperate for the support of those fans who they screw over now and then will be all about ‘local community’

There will come a tipping point with Rangers... it's why the Club really needs to win the title next season.

I wonder what we'll charge for the 4-game Euro package next season - £180 minimum?

This doesn't make sense - unless the stadiums are empty, fans are not being priced out

Some fans may be being priced out. But that's it
Might be a case of local fans being priced out by tourists, or fans being priced out of going regularly, but they can afford to go to one or two games,

I’ve given up my golf club membership this year and thought about a getting a season ticket again with the money, but I take it I need to join Mygers and try to build up points before I get a sniff of one?
You'll need to join MyGers mate. At the moment it's 5 points for buying a ticket AND attending the match/sticking it on seatsub before the cutoff point.

Best of luck to you, I've calculated at my current attendance rate of about 10/12 home matches a season I might have a chance in 6 years.

You also have other ways of bumping up your points total such as programme subscriptions etc

Back