Fernando Torres and Gerard Houllier speak of their admiration for the Rangers manager

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
FERNANDO TORRES is convinced close pal Steven Gerrard will lead Rangers to silverware.

The Ibrox boss has yet to pick up a trophy during his first two seasons in Scotland.

But Spain legend and former Liverpool team-mate Torres backed Gerrard to deliver success.

He told the Independent: "I am not surprised Stevie has become a manager because he has two very important characteristics for it - a strong mentality and determination.

"He was born to be a leader and I’m sure he’s enjoying preparing for matches and trying to get the best out of his players.

"I am sure he will be successful and who would not love to see Stevie in the Anfield dugout one day?

"It will be the perfect picture to see him coaching Liverpool to trophies.

"Stevie always behaved like a leader, he was never complaining or looking for excuses.

"In every training session, he worked hard and taught the rest of us about the desire and dedication needed.

"He must be a big inspiration for each player, because he was for me.

"The only things fans ask for is for their players or manager to give everything for the club.

"That is what Stevie does. That is why he is so loved and respected."

Gerrard's former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier also hailed his managerial qualities as he celebrates his 40th.

He said: "Every person who has worked with Stevie will tell you he had intelligence, desire and extremely strong character.

"He has never stopped putting in hard work to succeed and he sacrificed a lot to be where he is today.

"There are qualities that are very important to know about him.

"Stevie is loyal to his family, friends, team-mates, clubs, to his agent, staff and the players he manages now.

"He is also really generous, he has a big heart and there are many things that he did to help people that you will never know about.

"Stevie is also incredibly humble. He has ambition, yes, but is is combined with humility

"I watched him grow from a kid to become one of the best players in the world and an example of what a captain should be.

"But his personality has never changed. He is still the same Stevie and I’m sure that he will be a top manager because he will work towards that.

"He is not arrogant, he started with the youth at Liverpool’s academy and is now building his way through this new career."

Nice but for me unexpected words from Houllier. In Gerrard's documentary there didn't seem to be a lot of love lost between them when Gerrard's Liverpool contract was up for renewal. Fair play though. Always good to hear positives about our manager.

Back