Ferry to Amsterdam/Feyenoord

A word of warning for anybody taking a vehicle over on the boat to Ijmuiden
The driver will get a breathalyzer test leaving the dock and if over will be done, they test every driver and have done for a few years now !

Feck that. Last time we went over, must have been the AZ game I was working in Southampton and flew over for the game. Mates did the overnight truckers ferry ( from Rosyth at the time I seem to remember). Night out and game on the thursday, I went straight to Schiphol for a 7am flight. Flew to London then train to Southampton and got into the office before lunch. Did a couple of hours, got weeks timesheet signed then flew Southampton to Glasgiw and was out in my local early Friday evening. Mates were still waiting on the overnight ferry leaving Rotterdam. I was back in the local Saturday afternoon when they finally appeared, said I'd was a very very long journey and the overnight ferry drags along so the truckers can get a kip

Feck that. Last time we went over, must have been the AZ game I was working in Southampton and flew over for the game. Mates did the overnight truckers ferry ( from Rosyth at the time I seem to remember). Night out and game on the thursday, I went straight to Schiphol for a 7am flight. Flew to London then train to Southampton and got into the office before lunch. Did a couple of hours, got weeks timesheet signed then flew Southampton to Glasgiw and was out in my local early Friday evening. Mates were still waiting on the overnight ferry leaving Rotterdam. I was back in the local Saturday afternoon when they finally appeared, said I'd was a very very long journey and the overnight ferry drags along so the truckers can get a kip
It’s 15 hours there and 15 back

12 of us booked this too. Word of warning troops......back on 2002 they threatened to close the bars when the singing started. Things turned a bit sour and a couple of scuffles broke out! I’m sure some were refused entry onto Dutch soil and sent back to Newcastle.

It’s 15 hours there and 15 back
That's what I seem to remember. They were out and about from early friday, on the piss all day, ferry left 6pm ish but didnt get in till 9am Saturday then travel onwards. Their ferry was delayed as well and they hadn't booked a cabin so said the over night dragged plus it was mainly a freight ferry so no bars as such. As I said I'm sure they sailed from Rosyth so a different service but still a long treck to get to Holland.

Booked a twin room earlier , 79 quid return all in for two people , Booked through Directferries.com, it’s cheaper than the DFDS site, same room was working out over 150 on their website.

12 of us booked this too. Word of warning troops......back on 2002 they threatened to close the bars when the singing started. Things turned a bit sour and a couple of scuffles broke out! I’m sure some were refused entry onto Dutch soil and sent back to Newcastle.

I was on that ferry as well. I’m sure the bars did close and it wasn’t
long into the trip. :(

Someone else said you can take it on but only drink it in your room. If anyone else knows for sure give me a shout.

I think that is in relation to food and non-alcoholic drinks mate. DFDS twitter feed specifically states you can’t bring on your own alcohol. Vodka in an Evian bottle though...

Can you take your own drink on board ?
A while back my daughter and son and law got stopped and their baggage checked. When my son and I went to Luxembourg we took ferry from Newcastle but didn’t take booze because of my daughter’s previous experience. Strolled through and no one even looked at us. The booze at the bars on the ferry is expensive €5.50 for a can of Fosters. However, the duty free shops open shortly after sailing and they are very cheap in comparison.

Posted on another thread that they will close the bars if things start to get out of hand. It’s a tourist ferry with families etc so they don’t really stand for anything. They also randomly search bags for passengers on buses so be smart to get drink on. Also you can buy duty free on the ferry.

Posted on another thread that they will close the bars if things start to get out of hand. It’s a tourist ferry with families etc so they don’t really stand for anything. They also randomly search bags for passengers on buses so be smart to get drink on. Also you can buy duty free on the ferry.
Correct. Everyone saying it will be a sash bash ect are in for a shock. First bit of singing they ll close the bar ect.

Ferry sounds pretty shite. 15 hours to get there and missing out on a night in Amsterdam on the Wednesday.

I have a feeling some people on this trip are in for a shock :D The North Sea in November will be brutal, I can see some folk struggling to find their sea legs. Imagine the scene on the way back after everybody has had 2 days on the batter in Amsterdam. Pass the sick bag:p

I have a feeling some people on this trip are in for a shock :D The North Sea in November will be brutal, I can see some folk struggling to find their sea legs. Imagine the scene on the way back after everybody has had 2 days on the batter in Amsterdam. Pass the sick bag:p
Give me the 90 minute flight and the extra night in Amsterdam partying every day of the week.

Ferry sounds pretty shite. 15 hours to get there and missing out on a night in Amsterdam on the Wednesday.
you get a room and a bed it’s not like your just standing shout for 15 hours , and there are bars so it will be like being in a pub with plenty other Rangers fans for the night.

Ferry over and flying back for this Bear ;)

you get a room and a bed it’s not like your just standing shout for 15 hours , and there are bars so it will be like being in a pub with plenty other Rangers fans for the night.
Exactly, I don’t know what some people think this is. No as if you’re on a plane or a bus and can’t move for 15 hours :eek:

Exactly, I don’t know what some people think this is. No as if you’re on a plane or a bus and can’t move for 15 hours :eek:
Just think it sounds like a waste of a night. Overnight for 15 hours when you can fly and be in Amsterdam for an extra night instead.

Each to their own though.

not everyone can afford flights

Was going to say this - I've seen the ferry for £27 return. I know folk getting buses the whole way via Dover etc which sounds like hell. For £13.50 each way to have a room to sleep and get a shower, and a bar it's a no brainer! Cheapest I've seen flights is £150 return and then you need more days digs too. We paid £40 return for the ferry and £20 a head for a 4 man room beside Dam Square. Add on lager and we'll be close to the price of flights only!

On the Feyenoord website it's saying tickets will be on general sale on saturday for the home end - is anyone going to go for it?

Last edited:
Just think it sounds like a waste of a night. Overnight for 15 hours when you can fly and be in Amsterdam for an extra night instead.

Each to their own though.

Not a lot of decent flights left and the prices are away up , I was 40 quid for a return on the ferry and only need one night hotel in Amsterdam , whole trip cost me 82 quid.

Was going to say this - I've seen the ferry for £27 return. I know folk getting buses the whole way via Dover etc which sounds like hell. For £13.50 each way to have a room to sleep and get a shower, and a bar it's a no brainer! Cheapest I've seen flights is £150 return and then you need more days digs too. We paid £40 return for the ferry and £20 a head for a 4 man room beside Dam Square. Add on lager and we'll be close to the price of flights only!

On the Feyenoord website it's saying tickets will be on general sale on saturday for the home end - is anyone going to go for it?
I’m going to attempt it mate... if not then I’ll get them from stubhub

arrive in Rotterdam at 9am morning of the game. Don’t fancy kicking about there all day

Back