Feyenoord pay respects to Fernando Ricksen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now on that we can agree. Whether or not there is any truth in them singing this in tribute (and I am sceptical) there is no doubt that if it is booed then it will be portrayed as a negative in the Scottish media.

Given the number of folk that have posted or re-tweeted this message - from just 1 random guy remember - I can see I’m fairly isolated in my scepticism. I will say no more other than I hope I am wrong and there is, indeed, a genuine tribute from the Feyenoord fans by way of a banner or picture when they sung the song in order to make its purpose clearance.
I would be very impressed if they had a banner made up at such short notice.

WoW
Fans complain about lack of class by BbcScoltland but a classy act who are upfront about what they do when respecting the dead some are still unhappy
To be fair to the guy - I assumed he meant we should be singing our own songs and not standing back listening to Feyenoord.

YNWA should never be sang as a mark of respect for Fernando especially at Ibrox
we are being set up here as others have said drown them out with our own tribute
Nonsense.

Being set up? How can you attach such subterfuge to a bloody sad song at such a sad time?

Stop this paranoia about it being their usual song. Let them sing what they want. We should NOT BOO but sing what we want.

That’s the way the Dutch all pay their respects? By singing a Gerry and the Pacemakers song from 60 years ago? I’m not having that.

I would prefer if the whole stadium just sang “One Fernando Ricksen”. That seems a lot more respectful.

Also struggling to accept Ricksen himself would want YNWA sung for him, particularly at Ibrox.

Maybe I’m being overly suspicious.

They have videos on YouTube of them paying respect to dead and dying players and staff related to their club.

For goodness sake. Can we not just ditch the suspicions for one bloody song?

Rise above it Bears. Assume it's genuine and not intended to goad us.

We're surely better than that.

If that is their choice of song so be it and probably for the 1st time ever that song may have any emotion tied to it amongst our support not my cup of tea but then again it is a tribute to a true warrior, God bless Fernando Ricksen.

Either way we shouldn’t be booing it on this single occasion,
I won't boo it on this occasion either but will be trying to drown it out any time I hear it. How many people at the game will know it's allegedly being sung as a tribute to Ricksen - would expect to hear plenty others who are not on FF booing it.

They have videos on YouTube of them paying respect to dead and dying players and staff related to their club.

For goodness sake. Can we not just ditch the suspicions for one bloody song?

Rise above it Bears. Assume it's genuine and not intended to goad us.

We're surely better than that.

Yeah but why that song? That’s the point. Surely there are far more appropriate alternatives.

Will you be joining in?

Reactions: jtc
who knows but if there is you can be sure we will be front page news and you know as well as I that there is small minority in our support who will take offence at them singing a song which is sang at Celtic park

It’s as much as Feyenoord song as it is a Celtic song.

A Dutch servant to our club has passed away and folk want to moan about a Dutch club wanting to pay their respect.

End of the day they are paying respect not trying to get it up the Rangers support.

Yeah but why that song? That’s the point. Surely there are far more appropriate alternatives.

Will you be joining in?
Read my post.

It's what they do at times like this. A simple search on Google reveals they've been doing it for years.

No. I will not be singing it.

Will you be booing it?

Read my post.

It's what they do at times like this. A simple search on Google reveals they've been doing it for years.

No. I will not be singing it.

Will you be booing it?

No mate, I’m in LA so won’t be there.

Didn’t realise this is what they always sung...still, I’m not sure how “respectful” this song is at this moment in time, considering the player.

No mate, I’m in LA so won’t be there.

Didn’t realise this is what they always sung...still, I’m not sure how “respectful” this song is at this moment in time, considering the player.

The previous times they have sung this song (once was for a young lad associated to the club who was seriously ill) was in respect.

Are you suggesting that after today's tributes by them, that tomorrow's singing is intended to goad us?

I don't think so. The evidence suggests you are wrong.

Ps. Huntington Beach Loyal and I'll be at the game. ;)

The previous times they have sung this song (once was for a young lad associated to the club who was seriously ill) was in respect.

Are you suggesting that after today's tributes by them, that tomorrow's singing is intended to goad us?

I don't think so. The evidence suggests you are wrong.

Ps. Huntington Beach Loyal and I'll be at the game.

It is correct to say they once sung it in tribute to Brad Jones son, I posted the link earlier in the thread.

It’s NOT true to say that every time they’ve sung it is in tribute. A couple of examples - singing it to goad Man Utd and singing it to celebrate winning the title. I’m sure there’s more.

Those looking to Boo a Liverpool song which is in tribute to fernando ricksen , and also happens to be our managers club song man and boy and full career , are an absolute disgrace .

Probably the type of fans who are happy to refer to themselves as “ Huns” and think the poznan and the huddle “ belong “ to Celtic as well .

Thick as mince or just downright idiotic and attention seeking .

It’s about Fernando and his legacy not about people’s own personal views of a LIVERPOOL song ffs .

Ask any football fan in the world . What football club do you associate with YNWA. Answer- Liverpool. Stealing songs and covering up child abuse thats the ceptic way. Never ever their song. If Feyenoord fans sing this tomorrow night in a tribute to Fernando then that's fine as far as I`m concerned.

It is correct to say they once sung it in tribute to Brad Jones son, I posted the link earlier in the thread.

It’s NOT true to say that every time they’ve sung it is in tribute. A couple of examples - singing it to goad Man Utd and singing it to celebrate winning the title. I’m sure there’s more.

True or not. I disagree with your views VB.

My final contribution to the thread will be this:

Let's just rise above it. For Fernando.

Last edited:
Let them sing it. He's a Ranger. But he's also a Dutchman. Let the Dutch pay their respects too. Give them them the platform.

Then lift the roof off with "we love you Fernando...we do..."

Fantastic show of respect by Feyenoord.
As for the gutter press photographers standing on laid tributes to take there photos , scum with no respect.

Doesn’t make sense to make. It isn’t about Celtic owning the song, but if you’re going to pick a song to antagonise Rangers fans then selecting a song sang by their rivals will do it.

Plenty other songs can be selected to pay respects. You’ve got to ask why they’ve chosen that particular one.

Maybe we should all just join in.
There is a Dutch singer who is a huge huge Feyenoord supporter and his party piece is walk on. I believe he introduced it and it became a club anthem.
Lee Towers is the singers name he is all over youtube singing at the kuip when they win things..

Why would YNWA be in respect of Ricksen?

Singing a Celtic song for the death of a Rangers player doesn’t sound respectful.

You're right. Are people actually saying here we shouldn't boo YNWA?

Bollocks to that. That's completely absurd.

I won’t be booing anything mate. I just fear, as tragic and perhaps harsh as it sounds, that we are being suckered here.

This bloke has absolutely no status in their supporters club or fans group as far as I can tell. Do his fellow Feyenoord fans understand that when they sing this song it’s a tribute to Fernando or do they think they are simply singing it as they normally do? Is their a momentum amongst Feyenoord fans to sing it as a tribute? Currently all I’ve seen is a single tweet from just 1 guy.
Maybe they should join in our sing that we will sing to honour Fernando

Those looking to Boo a Liverpool song which is in tribute to fernando ricksen , and also happens to be our managers club song man and boy and full career , are an absolute disgrace .

Probably the type of fans who are happy to refer to themselves as “ Huns” and think the poznan and the huddle “ belong “ to Celtic as well .

Thick as mince or just downright idiotic and attention seeking .

It’s about Fernando and his legacy not about people’s own personal views of a LIVERPOOL song ffs .
If it’s a Liverpool song why are they singing it to an ex club captain of rangers. They want to honour sing simply the best

If it’s a Liverpool song why are they singing it to an ex club captain of rangers. They want to honour sing simply the best

They also sing it as do several clubs . It’s an apt song for what’s happened as well .

You don’t get to tell them what song to sing in tribute , you do realise that isn’t how life works ?

Honestly can’t believe some of the nonsense posted in this thread so far.

Just listen to the lyrics of the Liverpool anthem originally sung by Gerry & The Pacemakers and you’ll understand that it is a song of support in dark times. The fact that Paedo FC fans have tried to usurp Liverpool’s anthem is an irrelevance.

If Feyenoord fans choose to sing this during any tribute towards their countryman, and our former captain, I’ll accept it in the manner it's undoubtedly intended, as support to Fernando’s family and a tribute to him.

Honestly, some people really need to get a grip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back