FOI request (Police Scotland) - Sectarian offences at George Sq

MountFBear

Noted below is my FOI response from Police Scotland. Surely the club needs to take action!!

I'm pretty sure these are published somewhere but happy to pass it on to the club if that would be helpful. Lets see how many lurking 'reporters' pick up the story!

Our Ref: IM-FOI-2021-1559
Date: 26 July 2021

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION (SCOTLAND) ACT 2002

I refer to your recent request for information which has been handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.

For ease of reference, your request is replicated below together with the response.

Please confirm the number of arrests for anti-Catholic rhetoric at George Square, Glasgow on Saturday 15th May. Please confirm the number of arrests for sectarian behaviour at George Square, Glasgow on Saturday 15th May.

Having considered your request for information, I can advise there have been no arrests or charges made by Police Scotland’s Operation Shearling investigation team in respect of sectarian behaviour at George Square, Glasgow on Saturday 15 May.

A post-incident enquiry focussed on the violence and disorder which was captured on CCTV. No sectarian offences have been captured on this CCTV and any crowd chanting has been mainly aimed at public order Police Officers.

At the time receipt of request, the following charges have been made against 29 accused, under Operation Shearling:

1 Serious Assault
17 Culpable and Reckless Conduct (throwing weapons at officers)
7 Police Assault
10 Section 38 CJLSD
5 Breach of the Peace
1 Section 38 - racially aggravated

Should you require any further assistance concerning this matter please contact Information Management – Glasgow at foiglasgow@scotland.pnn.police.uk quoting the reference number given. If you are dissatisfied with the way in which Police Scotland has dealt with your request, you are entitled, in the first instance, to request a review of our actions and decisions.

Your request must specify the matter which gives rise to your dissatisfaction and it must be submitted within 40 working days of receiving this response - either by email to foi@scotland.pnn.police.uk or by post to Information Management (Disclosure), Police Scotland, Clyde Gateway, 2 French Street, Dalmarnock, G40 4EH.

Good work OP .

notice that while you used the language Sturgeon and her Bigots used ‘anti-catholic’ the Police replied with the term ‘sectarian’ which is obviously the technically correct term that snp/greens have bastardised

what’s the section 10 CJLSD charge that has 38 arrests against it anyone know , thanks

Here is mine for reference. Now need to get some copies of statements actually made by these politicians and put it together.

Our Reference: 202100220029
Your Reference: Anti Catholic singing George Square

“It would not appropriate for Scottish Ministers or the Scottish Government to comment on individual cases while investigations are on-going. Police Scotland established a dedicated inquiry team to investigate the violence and disorder that happened at George Square and the surrounding area on 15 May - https://www.scotland.police.uk/what-s-happening/news/2021/may/police-scotland-establishes- dedicated-team-and-online-portal-to-investigate-george-square-incidents/ - and anyone with thinks they may have information helpful to the investigation is being encouraged to contact the police via the Major Incident Public Portal (MIPP), via 101 or by contacting Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
As operational policing issues are a matter for Police Scotland, any questions or concerns relating to these issues should be directed to Police Scotland. Contact details can be found on their website at: https://www.scotland.police.uk/contact-us/

Noted below is my FOI response from Police Scotland. Surely the club needs to take action!!

I'm pretty sure these are published somewhere but happy to pass it on to the club if that would be helpful. Lets see how many lurking 'reporters' pick up the story!

I refer to your recent request for information which has been handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.

For ease of reference, your request is replicated below together with the response.

Please confirm the number of arrests for anti-Catholic rhetoric at George Square, Glasgow on Saturday 15th May. Please confirm the number of arrests for sectarian behaviour at George Square, Glasgow on Saturday 15th May.

Having considered your request for information, I can advise there have been no arrests or charges made by Police Scotland’s Operation Shearling investigation team in respect of sectarian behaviour at George Square, Glasgow on Saturday 15 May.

A post-incident enquiry focussed on the violence and disorder which was captured on CCTV. No sectarian offences have been captured on this CCTV and any crowd chanting has been mainly aimed at public order Police Officers.

At the time receipt of request, the following charges have been made against 29 accused, under Operation Shearling:

1 Serious Assault
7 Police Assault
10 Section 38 CJLSD
5 Breach of the Peace

Should you require any further assistance concerning this matter please contact Information Management – Glasgow at foiglasgow@scotland.pnn.police.uk quoting the reference number given. If you are dissatisfied with the way in which Police Scotland has dealt with your request, you are entitled, in the first instance, to request a review of our actions and decisions.

Your request must specify the matter which gives rise to your dissatisfaction and it must be submitted within 40 working days of receiving this response - either by email to foi@scotland.pnn.police.uk or by post to Information Management (Disclosure), Police Scotland, Clyde Gateway, 2 French Street, Dalmarnock, G40 4EH.
Well done mate. Can you oblige and post a copy of the actual letter with your personal details blurred of course? I would love to share the f*ck out of it.

This is where we need a really strong fans group to fight these bastards.
Spot on. 29 accused out of a crowd of 15,000. Some of the charges will be more than one against some fans. Not one has anti-Catholic or sectarian charge. There is not one video in the public domain except the odd ones with that guy Abdul and a few drunk teenagers round Ibrox singing a perverse song that should be condemned as ignorant stupidity but that should be it.

I’ve been personally lambasted by someone for associating myself with Rangers and the anti Catholic/Irish/sectarian/racist behaviour alluded to be several politicians and the impression that it was a bigot fest.

1 Serious Assault
7 Police Assault
10 Section 38 CJLSD
5 Breach of the Peace

Get that to Murdo Fraser. He should raise it in Holyrood. Put Sturgeon, Humza, Dornan and Harvey in the dock. Ask them for the evidence of their claims and then get them to retract their spurious accusations given the information from PS. Enough is enough

I wonder how long it'll take the Scottish media to ask John Swinney to defend his comments now:

"15,000 fans did not follow that advice and some of them went on to behave in a loutish and thuggish fashion in George Square devastated property and circulating and express vile anti-catholic bigotry in the centre of Glasgow."

Good work OP .

notice that while you used the language Sturgeon and her Bigots used ‘anti-catholic’ the Police replied with the term ‘sectarian’ which is obviously the technically correct term that snp/greens have bastardised

what’s the section 10 CJLSD charge that has 38 arrests against it anyone know , thanks
Its a form of breach of the peace. Not sure what differentiates it from the other BoP

It's Section 38 of the Criminal Justice & Licensing (Scotland) Act 2010 - the crime of threatening or abusive behaviour which is used rather than the old common law Breach of the Peace now, looks like 10 arrests for that.

Good job with that.

The SNP politicians are being found out for deliberately trying to stir up sectarian divisions by lying about purported anti-Catholic behaviour that there is just no evidence for.
And Scottish Greens . Also did SLD `mSP Rennie follow that line in his condemnations in Holyrood can’t recall either way only that he piled in

Last edited:
It's Section 38 of the Criminal Justice & Licensing (Scotland) Act 2010 - the crime of threatening or abusive behaviour which is used rather than the old common law Breach of the Peace now, looks like 10 arrests for that.
Thanks my man

interesting. Yet there are also BoP listed wonder what’s going on there. Another thing is the totals arrests is 51 wasn’t the story it was 55 or more ?

Far too much information in trying to defend the indefensible. You ask a simple question that requires only a short answer and they give you an “ah, but…” answer in response.

Thanks my man

interesting. Yet there are also BoP listed wonder what’s going on there. Another thing is the totals arrests is 51 wasn’t the story it was 55 or more ?
Had a quick google and I think S38 is maybe for more aggressive BoP acting in a threatening manner.
BoP will be for shouting / swearing and maybe not moving along when told by plod.
S38 a more serious charge than BoP

So the police say no arrests for sectarian offences, and no evidence of such on CCTV. If only we had fan representation that would publicise this.
@Robert Marshall

a bit premature potentially but have you spoken with the prospective board members about proactive and reactive fan representation when it comes to challenging the ongoing rhetoric against us?

Remember what Nikla told the world,

Sturgeon tweeted: “I’m understandably inundated with messages about y’day’s disgraceful scenes in Glasgow. Police still have a job to do, which restrains my comments to some extent – but to say I’m utterly disgusted by the Rangers fans who rampaged through the city would be an understatement.

“I’m also angry on behalf of every law abiding citizen. In normal times, the violence & vandalism, & the vile anti-Catholic prejudice that was on display, would have been utterly unacceptable. But mid-pandemic, in a city with cases on the rise, it was also selfish beyond belief.”

She should be taken to task and none of this she was not commenting in First Minister capacity nonsense.

Superb by the OP, the club can't go near it unfortunately as it happened in George Sq, if the club do get involved it leads to questions further on about strict liability and where it ends outwith the stadium footprint.

If only we had a fan led organisation that could and should call this out...

If we don't get this out there with the message that there was no tangible anti Catholic bigotry, then our enemies will put their lying slant on it and get it in the media instead.

Haggarty, Dornan and co will try to say this shows the police don't bother arresting anti Catholic bigots and twist it to keep their poison as the accepted truth. We have to get in first, and hammer home the truth that CCTV showed no anti Catholic behaviour in the first place.

Apologies from Dornan , Yusef , Scourgeon , Harvie......Sun /record evening tims , GCC , and the rest of the Anti Rangers / Protestant mhob , watch them retract their statements . Oh and not to forget that wee lying rhat Speirs , who wasn't even there.and yet says he heard it as he passed by
They're the ones who should be ashamed.......

Last edited:
Its a form of breach of the peace. Not sure what differentiates it from the other BoP
A Breach of the Peace has to be to the fear or alarm of the lieges (public), not just the police. S38 looks at it objectively and criminalises behaviour which may not have actually alarmed anyone in particular but is of such a low standard which, if viewed objectively, should be seen as offensive. In other words s38 is easier to prove and the police can arrest without need for any other witness.

Good work OP and appreciate the time you put into this - we need more like you as too many of us sit by idly (myself included to my own cowardly shame) and do nothing.

Would suggest you get this to all media outlets and also send a copy to NBM and ask them if they are concerned about false claims by MSPs about sectarianism in Scotland which surely unnecessarily blows life into a dying flame.

It is clear that some MSPs need sectarianism to thrive for them to stay relevant and promote their ridiculous agenda that a large %age of Scotland somehow has an anti catholic/irish thing going.

These very same MSPs are the true bigots in Scotland and must be named and shamed.

I would suggest getting this to MSPs who can use this for political shaming of the liars.

I wonder if what these liars are doing is actually a crime - surely people of influence (particularly politicians) can't make such sweeping claims. Would be great if we had some legal advice on this.

Excellent work MB.It will be interesting to see if Sturgeon,Yousaf Dornan and the likes will do the right thing apologise and withdraw statements and claims about "vile anti catholic bigotry" .They should also be made to produce the videos they claimed to be inundated with after George Square which they claim showed this "bigotry"
If they cannot do this they should be charged under the so called hate crime bill that yousaf promoted.

Last edited:
Good work OP .

In old money, Drunk and disorderly mate.

I assume the reason the numbers don't balance back to 29 is that some will have multiple charges. If you assume the dafties that thought it would be a good idea to throw things at the police towards the end of the day make up a large % of the 29 then it would have been a non event for the SNP. Hence the reason they have grossly over exaggerated the issues they eagerly anticipated.

Imagine the numbers, had the police been instructed by the SNP to be as robust, that would have been arrested at Parkhead a few weeks earlier when they went there with the sole intention of rioting.

Back