Football Insider - Dire Mebude (younger brother of Dapo) going to Man City

Great knowledge thank you.50 between 16-19 all aiming for first team that seems alot to be honest .all getting paid?

I think at the last count it was around 47 or 48, a couple of the youngest players won't be getting paid, and will probably still play U16's even though they are now U17. There are a couple of players i'm not sure if they are still there, no information on Development or U18 squads on Rangers website.

I don't think there is a compulsion for the club to have an academy, but they believe it is the right thing to do and I would agree.

The Academy was ripped up to start again when Craig Mullohand replaced Jimmy Sinclair in December 2014, in reality the changes only started to take place for the 2015/2016 season.

I think there has been big improvements and we moved away from the "Athlete" philosophy. Recruitment from others clubs has been better, some of the players we paid development fees for were baffling, with very few still in senior football. Where as there are loads of players we released (generally because they were deemed "too wee") still in senior football.

The academy is now at a crossroads and we really need to see one or two progressing. Whether than means breaking into the first team or successful loan spells suggesting they could be first team players in the future. It is a really important time for the academy and the unusual circumstances has complicated things.

Nothing is perfect and if I was critical, I think we have too many professional academy players - around 50 between the ages of 16 and 19. A structure of competitive games would also help, this to some extent is outwith our control, we have tried to progress a colt team into the lower leagues.

Perhaps this 5 subs from 9 is an opportunity to push one or two on to the bench and ultimately some minutes on the pitch.

The above should be made into one of your excellent reports that you do so well, would give us all idea of academy set up and player progression.

Don't think that argument is valid here.

Our neglected youth set up was probably better than most teams in Britain but other teams do it better.

Craig Mulholland can talk a good game he always has, not actually very good at anything though.
Of course its valid. You said most teams bring 1 or 2 youth players through per season. That is much harder for an academy that has only really been taken seriously and not neglected in recent years. It shows with how our younger age group players are generally regarded as having more potential and quality than the ones who are at the older end of the academy

Of course its valid. You said most teams bring 1 or 2 youth players through per season. That is much harder for an academy that has only really been taken seriously and not neglected in recent years. It shows with how our younger age group players are generally regarded as having more potential and quality than the ones who are at the older end of the academy
Shite .the 19 year olds been in there way current party for 6 years

Shite .the 19 year olds been in there way current party for 6 years
Its not shite. Things don't happen instantly. Is widely accepted that the younger groups have more potential and quality that the ones in the top age group. Just because you don't like hearing it doesnt make it shite

It's valid when you've brought through a player who will be one of the best midfielders in the world.

Our youth setup has been better funded than most others in the country regardless of our issues.

The talent is there were not using it.

Makes you really question what's the point in actually having the academy any more, any player shows promise and they're offski, it's either that they end up loaned out to every other team before being let go eventually.

Makes you really question what's the point in actually having the academy any more, any player shows promise and they're offski, it's either that they end up loaned out to every other team before being let go eventually.
On the latter point only the ones that aren’t good enough - the loan is the way to tell without costing us points. There’s nothing we can do if a player wants to leave, same as any other club, including Blackpool who are gutted we’ve just signed their best prospect for buttons.

QUOTE="NI-Bear, post: 6568132, member: 4041"]
Its not shite. Things don't happen instantly. Is widely accepted that the younger groups have more potential and quality that the ones in the top age group. Just because you don't like hearing it doesnt make it shite
[/QUOTE]
Accepted by who Mr Wilson?
So the older ones won Alkass,league scottish cup reserves etc but younger ones are better must be very good eh,or are you just kidding us on until they get to top age groups then give same shite again.

Man City academy works well for them, they educate all players at private schools, all live en campus, the develop the players clearly few will make first team but it’s a huge cash earner when they sell young talent. The sold a kid to Real Madrid for 15 million, they sold Sancho to Dortmund, the academy cost 25 m to build but they are earning plenty from the trades every season and they now have two first teamers home grown, Barca want the Catalan kid back having City recruited him at 16, City May sell for 20+million, it’s another world

Nothing you can do when these huge clubs come in for them. Disappointing news nonetheless
Said at the time numerous times on here Gimour being a total failure at Chelsea would be my preferred outcome for the boy. Nothing to do with him but from a purely Rangers POV him being successful isn't good for us when it comes trying to keep young talent . Of course everyone clambering over themselves to show us what great guys they are by wishing him all the best called people like me a disgrace and bitter . Fact is Gimour doing what he's doing at Chelsea is terrible for us when it comes to keeping young talent. As I and others knew it would.

This is a fascinating thread, especially for those who take an interest in youth development.

While there’s a lot of hearsay and inneundo, there seems to be issues in the youth teams just now. Even Gerrard felt compelled to fire a warning shot recently. The departures of a couple of coaches also add mystery to the situation.

What’s happening? Is it a case of unrest due to the lack of opportunities or do we have a group of billy big baws?

Its very disappointing as we’ve been told youth development has come on leaps and bounds in recent years - would hate to think it’s all been for nothing.

No produce good players like we do and play them dummy.

I’m getting really fed up of your constant downing of the club because you believe they’ve wronged your boy.

Gerrard is one of the first crop of the academy generation elite players to move into management. He knows what it takes to deserve (and that’s an important word in this context) a place in the first team, or squad. He lived it.

He talks about it. Always giving 100 per cent. Persistence. Courage. Going further than the rest to stand out. He trained against seasoned internationals and was determined to show them up.

Every time.

You’ll forgive me if I trust his judgment on their suitability - or lack thereof - over your woe is Kai narrative.

Gerrard the player was challenged. Kennedy the player - and others like him - has been challenged. Work for it, you’ll have a chance.

He’s done alright out of Rangers, he’s got the flash new Mercedes and judging by his social media all the haribo and sweeties he and his bird can eat.

On October 16th 2004 Frank Rijkaard replaced Deco with a 17-year-old Leo Messi, who by doing so make his official first team debut with Barcelona. The rest is history!

It’s so disappointing how we consistently seem to fail in this area. Hindsight is great, but the amount of duds we have signed as squad fillers over the years makes it even more frustrating, it’s not like we have been winning trophies.

For me it has to be a philosophy that the club is based and insists on. The framework of which is passed down from the boardroom, to director of football, manager and into the academy.

Start providing a proper platform to the first team and they wont leave.

In recent times, every player that has left has went elsewhere and done nothing. So we've been vindicated.

It's not a charity, we canny just be giving young boys games to be nice to them they need to be good enough. Football is one of the most brutal professions on the planet.

In recent times, every player that has left has went elsewhere and done nothing. So we've been vindicated.

It's not a charity, we canny just be giving young boys games to be nice to them they need to be good enough. Football is one of the most brutal professions on the planet.

Gilmour ?

It can -play them like all other clubs do

They're not good enough, they’re not as good as they themselves think they are and they’re not as good as their agents are telling them they are. The sooner they realise the agents don’t have their best interests at heart the better it will be.

On October 16th 2004 Frank Rijkaard replaced Deco with a 17-year-old Leo Messi, who by doing so make his official first team debut with Barcelona. The rest is history!
For ever Lionel Messi there are 10,000 not Lionel Messi's, Messi/Ronaldo x2/Neymar are all pretty much one offs, Gilmour is also a once in a generation player but he was miles off being good enough for our first team when he left on his 16th birthday.
We would all love youth players come through to play for us but they have to be good enough.

We joke about "close the academy" but if it's the case that the best we produce all leave then...I'm not sure fans care about producing kids who leave at 16.

Well there is, but what good is that to us?

An example being that we offered Barjonas a one year extension yet the rumour is we're about to loan him out again for a season - at which point he'll be out of contract again. What's the point in that?

I'd understand if we were producing players then selling them on for decent money or getting them first team action - but we're doing neither. We boast about how they win under 19 cups or whatever but none of them step up after that.
Great example. Surely Barjonas gets 4 year deal or released?

Back