Former Rangers owner Craig Whyte set to face trial later this year

BlueMeanie

Craig Whyte, 51, was arrested in December at Manchester Airport as he travelled in from Portugal.

Former Rangers owner Craig Whyte has appeared in court accused of failing to provide passwords for various laptops and phones.
Whyte, 51, was arrested in December at Manchester Airport as he travelled in from Portugal.
The prosecution has been brought by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) which alleges he did not comply with a notice to disclose pin passwords to protected information between November 2020 and December last year.
On Wednesday, Whyte appeared at Manchester Crown via video link to face the charges.
No plea was entered as a provisional trial date was set for September 13, with the hearing expected to last up to five days.

Whyte had previously indicated a plea of not guilty when he appeared before magistrates in the city in December.

Judge Hilary Manley extended his bail on condition that he does not travel overseas and lives at an address in Scotland which was provided to the court.

The FCA say the alleged failure to comply with a notice issued under Section 49 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA 2000) is its first prosecution in relation to the offence.

He’s going to get done for failing to provide a password to his laptop, but he can’t get done for facilitating the biggest fraud in Scottish, or indeed British, football history.

The law works in strange ways.

It’s just a shame he still has the ability to walk freely on the streets of this country.

It amazes me that people like Whyte can go around conning people for years and get away with it.
Dodgy deal after dodgy deal and rarely brought to task for it.
It's called being a front for much wealthyer and powerful people. Guys like Whyte are pupits doing the bidding of others. For the Rangers job he would have had guarantees he would never be found guilty in court.

I won't get my hopes up.

This absolute charlatan has somehow escaped the law so many times already despite the fact he is an obvious criminal.
Yes, we wouldn't be surprised, would we? I wouldn't get my hopes up on him doing time in jail - though I believe it could be up to a maximum of 2 years or a fine, or both. Difficult to guess given no previous convictions on this offence involving the FCA.

He’s going to get done for failing to provide a password to his laptop, but he can’t get done for facilitating the biggest fraud in Scottish, or indeed British, football history.

It’s just a shame he still has the ability to walk freely on the streets of this country.

One crime took place in England, the other in Scotland.

Probably another one that will get a pay-off by our taxpayer money.

Feels like they are getting rewarded for the harm they caused us.

See if he had down to raselik what he did to us, I reckon he would be dead by now.

And this is a guy that "duped" David Murray.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see him get his commupence.

Probably be awarded 50 million compensation and an apology for wrongful arrest.

Would not surprise me.

Maybe it's a bit like Al Capone getting done for tax evasion.

It's called being a front for much wealthyer and powerful people. Guys like Whyte are pupits doing the bidding of others. For the Rangers job he would have had guarantees he would never be found guilty in court.
No sure if that's true, did he not do it to dozens of companies?

It’s just a shame he still has the ability to walk.....
Fixed that for you.

I have no doubts the weasel scumbag will somehow worm his way out of this one as well.

He's a fuckin cockroach.

No sure if that's true, did he not do it to dozens of companies?
He did mate. I came across him many years ago when he was looking to buy up insurance companies in run off as part of the purchase means you buy their loss reserves to cover losses. His business model was to look to settle losses early with big discounts meaning he's able to release reserves back onto his balance sheet. Very nasty and seedy business, but legal. His entire work model is simply asset strip, wind the company down move on to next company. He needs no backing to do that.

It amazes me that people like Whyte can go around conning people for years and get away with it.
Dodgy deal after dodgy deal and rarely brought to task for it.
Did anyone openly say he was a dodgy character about whyte when rumours about him taking over started?

I can’t remember at all like a mind blank

Think that title goes to SDM - whyte was just the patsy

Surprised at this in a few ways. Would he not just say he has forgotten them rather than saying he wasn't going to give them the PINs.

And there will be ways for the police to get round the pins and see the information anyway.
would it no be as simple as opening up laptop taking hard drive out put in a docking station and access as an external drive

Did anyone openly say he was a dodgy character about whyte when rumours about him taking over started?

Yes, several of our board, including Alistair Johnstone, John Mclelland and Martin Bain all released a statement saying he was shady and to watch him but they were shouted down and accused of just being bitter as they were being punted off the board.

Yes, several of our board, including Alistair Johnstone, John Mclelland and Martin Bain all released a statement saying he was shady and to watch him but they were shouted down and accused of just being bitter as they were being punted off the board.
Since you mentioned johnstone i remember a bit now mate

I worked with a guy who worked for Whyte for a company based in Motherwell. He turned up for work one morning and the place was locked up and emptied of everything, even the stuff nailed down. Whyte had done a runner.

My mate wasn't overly impressed when Whyte appeared on the front page of the papers, now a "billionaire" and wanting to buy Rangers

Someone.Out there.Knows the truth.
The whole truth.
And nothing but ...the truth.

In fact, I believe that are many out there, who know the full story.
And one day all... will be revealed.
The whole sordid affair.

Sadly there may be others who know, and have injunctions on what they can, and cannot say.
There has to be a statue of limitations even on these.
10 years is not that long a time, considering the magnitude of the crime.
Yes.Crime.

But it will come out.
One day.

They pleaded with The Captain Of Industry whyte was bad news but he still handed him the club.

Then lied about being "duped" by him.

Honestly cant decide of the two which one I hate the most.

They pleaded with The Captain Of Industry whyte was bad news but he still handed him the club.

Then lied about being "duped" by him.

Honestly cant decide of the two which one I hate the most.

Add Donald Muir into that list as Lloyds only cared about getting their money back. No thought about the consequences that were inevitable.

Since you mentioned johnstone i remember a bit now mate
Alistair Johnston was lambasted by the Rangers support, at the time, for not signing off on the deal.
He smelt a...or should that be...the rat, and in his words 'the elephant in the room', wouldn't go away.

elephant in the room -
'The idiomatic expression also applies to an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss'.

Depends where his trial takes place, if it’s up here there will be enough mentally challengeds and other Rangers haters on a jury to let him
walk free.

Back