Former Rangers star Marco Negri reveals he tried to sign Alfredo Morelos for Italian club

BlueMeanie

The ex-Ibrox striker is a huge fan of the man who is threatening to break his record tally of 33 goals before the New Year.

Marco Negri told Alfredo Morelos to steer clear of the squash court as he backed him to smash his record haul of 33 goals before the New Year.
And the former Rangers striker admitted his relief that the Colombian is still banging them in at Ibrox after revealing he urged Udinese to sign the hitman two years ago.
Morelos continued his incredible season after bagging his 22nd goal of the campaign with a well-taken clincher in Sunday’s 2-0 win over Livingston.
His increasing tally has seen comparisons drawn between Negri’s astonishing first half of the season at the Light Blues after Walter Smith signed him from Perugia in a £3.5million deal in 1997.
The Italian netted an astonishing 33 goals, including a staggering 23 in his first 10 games, in all competitions up until the end of December.
But Negri’s career stalled after a freak eye injury caused during an infamous squash match against countryman Segio Porrini and the goals dried up.

The frontman was sidelined for a month before admitting he was rushed back with the pressure on to secure 10-in-a-row and he managed just three more goals.
He admits the potential that season is the biggest ‘what if?’ of his life as Gers missed out on their historic title and Negri on the European Golden Boot.
Morelos scored his 22nd goal of the season - a tally Negri had incredibly reached by October 18 thanks to four goals in a 7-0 blitz of Dunfermline -at Almondvale.
He now has 10 games left this year to equal Negri’s tally and the 49-year-old hopes he smashes his impressive record.
And as he spoke to Record Sport from his home in Italy, Negri laughed: “My biggest advice to Alfredo Morelos would be to keep away from the squash court!

“Seriously, Alfredo is on fire and it is amazing for him to have scored 22 goals already. The team is playing very good football and creating many chances so you never know what can happen.
“And the bottom line is that I am a fan of Rangers so I want him to score as many goals as possible, even if that means beating my record.
“Listen, it’s just a number and records are there to be broken so I would have no problem whatsoever if Alfredo can reach 33 or even more.
“I was on the coaching staff working as a striker coach at Serie A side Udinese and I actually recommended Morelos to them at the time.

Marco Negri celebrating with Barry Ferguson in December 1997 (Image: Daily Record)
“It was about two years ago and I spoke to the board and told them how good he was and suggested they take a look at him but for whatever reason they didn’t follow up on it.
“These things happen in football - there are so many players to look at.
"But now I am so relieved that they didn’t do anything because I’m no longer at Udinese and I want him to help Rangers win some trophies.
“I told them he was young and talented and that his style would have suited Serie A but that wasn’t unusual for me to recommend players.
“I was a penalty box player and very lucky to play with great players like Gazza, Jorg Albertz nd Brian Laudrup who could assist me and I just hung around waiting for my chance.
“Alfredo Morelos is different. He is very strong, he has a big personality and is improving every season which is the most important thing.
“He scores all types of goals - left foot, right foot and headers - and he can also assist, play wide and around the box so he has so much to offer.
“I love him and he’s improved his disciplinary record which is a big step forward for him. I was different in style but the most important thing for any strike is to put the ball over the line.
“He’s scoring so many goals but also against very big clubs in the Europa League which is a high level so he’s showing everyone he’s one of the best attacking players in Europe. And he’s only 23-years-old so he has a big future ahead of him because he’s still young.”
Negri admitted it’s a huge regret that his goals ultimately counted for nothing as Rangers finished trophy-less for the first time in 13 years.

He said: “The biggest ‘what if?’ of my life is how many goals I would have scored for Rangers that season if I hadn’t picked an injury that must be one of the most bizarre in Scottish football.
“I was on fire, so confident on the pitch and playing with top class players. But I don’t ask myself any more what might could have been because it’s better that way.
“I can laugh about it now but I remember at the time we were on course for 10-in-a-row and I could have won the Golden Boot.

“Sergio was the wrong choice of playmate for squash because it should not have been a game in which winning became everything and yet with Sergio that was impossible “It was very tough but I managed to get 36 goals that season although I would have swapped them to win the league, absolutely.
“A striker scores goals to help the club and not for himself so if the team doesn’t win anything then it’s not really important.
“You would have to ask Alfredo Morelos if he feels the same about this season but I’m a supporter now and the most important thing for me isn’t for Alfredo to score 50 goals but that Rangers win trophies.”

I don’t get how he’s managed to get on the speaker/after dinner/personal appearance/NARSA circuit of gigs.

Done well at first, yes but after that initial goals rampage he had no regards, respect or interest for the club or fans.

Baffles me that he’s managed to become some sort of hero.

Disappeared for 20 years but now declaring his love for Rangers, fly arse couldn't wait to leave Ibrox quick enough.

Thats not true, he was here for 2 or 3 seasons sat on his arse picking up a wage. Edit - just checked, 4 fucking years.

Right. This squash incident getting rolled out again. I thought every man and their dog knew it was more to do with a battering he took after sticking his boaby in someone else's wife? Or was that just made up pish??

Cracking player, had a hard time with injuries, seems to be a bit of a fanny.

Thats not true, he was here for 2 or 3 seasons sat on his arse picking up a wage. Edit - just checked, 4 fucking years.
That's what I mean, he played for one season then became invisible but took a wage, now is declaring his undying love for us.

A fckn chancer.

I genuinely don't get the hate for any ex Ranger willing to engage with supporters and declare themselves as one. Is it more re-assuring or acceptable for some to have ex Rangers men slating the club week in, week out ? We seem to have more of them than anything else these days and they attract less criticism. Give the guy a break ffs.

Why?

Edit. What a bizarre thread. Is Negri on the list now? Hope he gets a ticket for the final.
Why? Were you not paying attention?

He chucked it when playing for us, disappeared for two decades, then showed up professing his love for us and turning up to occasions generally deserved for people who actually wanted to play for us.

I agree that ex-players get slaughtered on here all too often but how anyone could be fooled by his hanging-on routine is beyond me.

Negri is one of the 1st people to help out with various rangers related charity events the abuse he gets on here is over the top

Still doesn't explain his situation. He was a weirdo when he was with us. All of a sudden he is everyone pal and he is the no.1 rangers fan. It's odd.

Why? Were you not paying attention?

He chucked it when playing for us, disappeared for two decades, then showed up professing his love for us and turning up to occasions generally deserved for people who actually wanted to play for us.

I agree that ex-players get slaughtered on here all too often but how anyone could be fooled by his hanging-on routine is beyond me.
As far as I can see he's done a lot for the charity foundation and Ricksen etc. Maybe he wants to make amends? I'm also pretty sure @ID10 said he never asked for a penny for an interview he done with him either, so I'm not sure that money is his main motivation. Even if it was, the hatred of him is bizarre.

I genuinely don't get the hate for any ex Ranger willing to engage with supporters and declare themselves as one. Is it more re-assuring or acceptable for some to have ex Rangers men slating the club week in, week out ? We seem to have more of them than anything else these days and they attract less criticism. Give the guy a break ffs.

It’s that old staunch as feck, self fulfilling prophecy of ‘no one likes us we don’t care’, there is a section of our support that doesn’t seem to like anyone and balk at the thought of anyone liking us.

I find it quite tiresome, it’s quite a nice positive thing to like and be liked, we need as many positive voices as possible who have access to the media championing the club.

How much did he make from these enterprises? And he'd hardly be the 1st person to tout a book to us.

I don't know, I'm not his accountant.

I just can't think of any other reason that a moody Italian who had a decent 6 months before fucking off and stealing a massive wage, ignoring us for almost a decade is now suddenly a hero.

I don't know, I'm not his accountant.

I just can't think of any other reason that a moody Italian who had a decent 6 months before fucking off and stealing a massive wage, ignoring us for almost a decade is now suddenly a hero.

Don't really see anyone calling him a hero either. I'm just a bit bemused at the hatred towards a guy who always speaks well about us and who does a lot of charity work.

Don't really see anyone calling him a hero either. I'm just a bit bemused at the hatred towards a guy who always speaks well about us and who does a lot of charity work.

To be fair it's more on Facebook. People just lap it up. I find it very odd when people who actually served us well get tormented.

Ian Ferguson is a true Rangers hero and he thinks Negri is an absolute charlatan, well he used harsher words than that. I know who I believe

As far as I can see he's done a lot for the charity foundation and Ricksen etc. Maybe he wants to make amends? I'm also pretty sure @ID10 said he never asked for a penny for an interview he done with him either, so I'm not sure that money is his main motivation. Even if it was, the hatred of him is bizarre.

Yeah maybe he has had a Damascene conversion and decided that he does want to play a part at our club and take nothing in return.

I'm not buying it though. For me it;s a cynical ploy to sell books to fans, stories to papers, and turn up to events. I don't hate him, I'm just fed up seeing him stand and act like he done us a turn.

Yeah maybe he has had a Damascene conversion and decided that he does want to play a part at our club and take nothing in return.

I'm not buying it though. For me it;s a cynical ploy to sell books to fans, stories to papers, and turn up to events. I don't hate him, I'm just fed up seeing him stand and act like he done us a turn.
He's literally just said he regrets how it turned out at Rangers.

Back