Former Ref David Syme has died

Saw him at quite a few games after he retired.Not sure if it was his season ticket but he was often in the Govan rear

He had just sent Johnston off when he got hit by a coin. He thought Celtic player Tony Shepherd had hit him in the back of ths head and also sent him off. Then he got shown the coin, realised he made a mistake, and cancelled Shepherd's red card.

Davie Hay's post-match meltdown was my young self's introduction to Timplosion.

I
He was utterly despised by Airdrie supporters for awarding Dunfermline a penalty in a League Cup semi for a handball that hit Jimmy Sandison's chest outside the box
I was at that game, and Airdrie should have been 3 or 4 up. It’s no excuse for a terrible decision, but I think he did admit he got it wrong afterwards. And Airdrie got to a couple of Scottish cup finals shortly after, didn’t they?

I

I was at that game, and Airdrie should have been 3 or 4 up. It’s no excuse for a terrible decision, but I think he did admit he got it wrong afterwards. And Airdrie got to a couple of Scottish cup finals shortly after, didn’t they?
I was there too with a couple of Airdrie supporting relatives and the mere mention of Syme’s name forever after was enough to get them in a rage. You’re right they had a really good cup pedigree in the 90s. Went on to reach the Scottish Cup final vs us that season and vs the Mhanks a couple of years later.

Used to play snooker in same hall as Davie in Battlefield back in the 60s.
Club was owned and managed by Bobby Evans ex Celtic. Big Davie was a good guy and a blue nose.

That's a shame.

He did the pre-match raffle draw in the Corkerhill club the first home game after he retired.

A good man.

Infinitely better referee, and impartial, compared to the bigoted dross we have now.

Sleep easy, big fella.

Yes David was a member of Cambuslang Golf Club as is his wife. He used to referee us in the churches football league in the 60's when i played for Blairbeth Church Rutherglen

I remember David Syme attended a strip club night for our supporters club in the Admiral Bar basement in the early 80'S.
RIP David.

The referees were fine in Scotland until the Tim’s forced them to strike.

RIP David, one of the many decent referees we had till the Tim’s demanded change.

I seen him in the Black Bull, Cambuslang about 5 years ago on his own , half cut. Seemed to be enjoying the 'tunes'....

One of the last generation of referees players could actually talk to during games, and who didn't treat them like school kids.

Whether you agreed with his decision or not, it was accepted (in the main) due to the mutual respect earned.

Condolences to Mr Symes family.

Got a run down to Love St for Wednesday night game, pre Souness, with him. My mates dad was a linesman and big Syme was a close friend , mates dad told me he loved listening to the Flute Bands in the car.

Really saddened to hear about David. Spoke to him a few times in my local and seemed a genuinely decent guy.

Thoughts are with his family and friends.

A real character. Remember him well from my days in the Glasgow Referees Association in the 80’s

RIP to Mr Syme. Was over at the Ajax match in 98 (I think) the one Gazza got sent off in. David syme was sitting in the seat right behind me In The back row of the stand. Such a shame to hear he had a terrible illness

Used to see him in the Burgh as well as the Quarry, the odd time in my lodge 116.
RIP Davie, big gentleman.

He was one of the good refs. Much better than the modern day refs we have now. RIP
Sincere condolences to David Syme's family he was indeed a good ref. may he rest in peace.

The refs we have just now have learned nothing good from their predecessors, what we have now is a cowtowing to Lawwell bunch sprinkled with a bad micks (intentional) of Clancy, Collum, and Robertson.

He used to drink in the Fairway bar in Rutherglen when I was involved in it, good big guy and I always thought one of us, although he never let anybody know.

Back