Former Ref David Syme has died

Always struck me as a decent ref with a good bit of integrity. Probably an easier gig in the days of fewer TV cameras and no social media right enough. Remember he reffed that mad 4-4 vs "them" in the mid 80's. Also played a few frames of snooker with him and a colleague called Ed Brolls many years ago in Churchills Langside. Seemed a decent down to earth guy. RIP.

David Syme from Rutherglen, always thought it was strange when in the 80’s & 90’s they would always mention on commentary ( and in matchday programmes) where the referee was from )

David Syme from Rutherglen, always thought it was strange when in the 80’s & 90’s they would always mention on commentary ( and in matchday programmes) where the referee was from )
Agreed, especially when they were from small towns or villages. One that sticks in my mind is Duncan from Gorebridge. There was another (Les somebody? It'll come to me) from Forth.

These days that’d be like pinning a target on their back.

Agreed, especially when they were from small towns or villages. One that sticks in my mind is Duncan from Gorebridge. There was another (Les somebody? It'll come to me) from Forth.

Hugh Dallas from Bonkle was one that sticks in the mind.

R. I. P David Syme. A throwback to the days when referees were respected by players and fans alike. By no means perfect, but didn't have an agenda.

Les Mottram?
Another one was Brian McGinley Balfron, High Dallas from Bonkle always sticks in my mind

Les Mottram maybe? There was another from Balfron whose name escapes me and I don’t think I’ve heard of that place for any other reason ever :D

EDIT I see bluetonic has stolen my thunder :D

Les Mottram it was! FF never fails.
think it was les mottram in charge at firhill on the occasion of the goal that never was given,the ball hit the stanchion i think and rebounded out, a thistle player then proceeded to catch the ball ,the bold les waved play on, no goal ,not even a penalty,all captured on tv into the bargain,, sorry to derail the thread, condolences to big davie ,a fine gentleman indeed

Davie Syme was a Season Ticket holder at Ibrox, he used to drink in the Corkerhill Masonic club prior to going up to the game.

Another referee hit by a coin thrown by Celtic fans.

1986 League Cup final.
In front of the Celtic dugout IIRC. Wasnt the entire Celtic side booked that day? I was so ill with a sore throat that day which was a lot worse after the match and for the following week. Went to the Busby Hotel after where there was a big rammy in the car park. Lost the sleeve from my blazer in the stramash and I was only helping breaki it up LOL. Spent the rest of the night in my grey slacks and 1 sleeved blazer!

I remember Hugh Bonkle from Dallas. Whatever happened to him?

think it was les mottram in charge at firhill on the occasion of the goal that never was given,the ball hit the stanchion i think and rebounded out, a thistle player then proceeded to catch the ball ,the bold les waved play on, no goal ,not even a penalty,all captured on tv into the bargain,, sorry to derail the thread, condolences to big davie ,a fine gentleman indeed
Thistle player actually caught the ball and handed it to his goalie who kicked up the park not one of Mr Motrams better days

They stopped publishing the home towns when people started prank/hate telephone calls and mail started. My dad was involved with refereeing for many years, and that wasn't a problem in the 70s and 80s, but into the 90s it started to happen.

Davie was clapped onto the field at the next Rangers game he reffed after the 1986 League Cup Final. After about 5 minutes, normal service had been resumed and he was getting dog’s abuse, about which Davie seemed entirely unconcerned.

Back