Frozen In Time - a 1973 Old Firm game

I was in the East Enclosure that day, sick as the proverbial brightly feathered flying birdy thing at the final whistle.

I remember at the end of the game, just staring at their end, when a big mate from school grabbed a hold of me saying something about, "come on, forget those b@stards".

Sound advice that I've never forgotten.

This was my first Old Firm game. I was in the new Centenary Stand, near the Celtic end, with my dad and uncle. I was right in line with Johnstone’s header from the right hand side of the penalty spot. Have never seen it again, don’t think there were any tv cameras at the game

It was an inoculase tackle.
A whit??!?
Wp7B5HN.gif
Wp7B5HN.gif

I remember the game described in the OP. We had beaten them 3-1 at Parkhead in a League Cup game two weeks previously. We absolutely battered them but just could not get the ball in the net. I was in the old Centenary Stand that day and the picture of Tommy McLean not scoring brings back all the frustration. Celtic scored in a breakaway when David Hay went down the left wing and crossed the ball. Jimmy Johnstone was the only other Celtic player forward and the ball was Perfect for him. Incidentally, it was Hay’s first game of the season as he had gone on strike demanding a big pay rise to reflect his new status as a Scottish internationalist. He was transferred at the end of that season. Celtic had a reputation for poor pay.

Excellent post, some of the comments fascinating to read. Anybody know what the crowd would have been that night?

This was my first Old Firm game. I was in the new Centenary Stand, near the Celtic end, with my dad and uncle. I was right in line with Johnstone’s header from the right hand side of the penalty spot. Have never seen it again, don’t think there were any tv cameras at the game
I couldn't believe the smallest player on the pitch scored a header against us, though now I suspect it wasn't his first.

:(

That might have been the 1-0 game where Joe Craig scored for them at Ibrox, maybe 1976. Lennox broke his leg that night.
That was a midweek game and there was a corporation bus strike. I travelled on the Petershill Loyal bus and it was quite a squeeze.

If I remember correctly, the attendance was a much reduced 33,000.

That was a midweek game and there was a corporation bus strike. I travelled on the Petershill Loyal bus and it was quite a squeeze.

If I remember correctly, the attendance was a much reduced 33,000.
The Nov 76 game had a crowd of 43,000.
This was the lowest crowd i had ever seen for such a game (possibly only the full house Ibrox 1979-80 was lower?)

It was also a windy , wet night.

When Greig tackled Lennox,he was in the box but offside. The ref originally gave a pen, but the linesmam had his flag up. So it was a free kick to Rangers.
Lennox got carried off (with a broken ankle).

In the early 70's, we seemed to lose every game at Ibrox against them, other than the Alfie Conn last minute winner. And we always seemed to be in the same league cup section as them.

I couldn't believe the smallest player on the pitch scored a header against us, though now I suspect it wasn't his first.

:(

On the Copland terrace that day. Remember turning to my mates saying" how does a wee *%@! like that score with a header".
Yes iirc you are right, he scored with more than one header against us.

Can't remember that happening.

I can remember Bobby Lennox breaking his leg after a tackle from John Greig, which was accidental.

There was pics in the press a couple of days later of John Greig visiting Lennox in hospital shaking hands. Lennox totally exonerated JG from any blame. Lennox was an honourable foe and a classy guy on and off the park.
Nowadays Liewell would have been informing the media at the final whistle how to run the narrative. Greig would have been hounded for the same thing.

Last edited:
There was pics in the press a couple of days later of John Greig visiting Lennox in hospital shaking hands. Lennox totally exonerated JG from any blame. Lennox was an honourable foe and a classy guy on and off the park.
Nowadays Liewell would have been informing the media at the final whistle how to run the narrative. Greig would have been hounded for the same thing.
lawwell only taking his cue from maley,his remarks about Sam English were as low as a t@rrier can go

Back