Full cap in 17th career game

Scott Bain maybe?

I mean, he’s utter dung and I’ve no idea how he ever got a Scotland cap, but I’m sure he only played a few games for the scum before getting a call up.

Edit - just checked this and he played 100 games for Alloa so I’m talking bollocks.

Patterson is going to the very, very top. With some players you can just see it, his goal against Standard at Ibrox cemented it for me; you can't write moments like that. It's a great bonus that he has Tav, Gerrard and Gary Mac to learn from.

Delighted for the young man tonight, he and his family will be very proud and so should we be as a club. Rangers are the premier club of Scotland and I look forward to the day that Rangers men are the backbone of the national team again.

How many games did DJ play before he was capped,he surely must have been capped quite early,the guy was sensational.
As my auld man would say

Instantly improved the team. Played well defensively and provided an attacking option down the right.

Previously everything came through the left which is understandable given you have Tierney and Robertson on that side.

Definitely proved he belongs to be part of that squad and will be pushing for a start next week
It was telling how he was given the ball by his teammates compared to O'Donkey.

Scotland will be badly exposed with Hanley, O'Donkey, Gallagher playing.

Mascherano ade his international debut for the full Argentina side before playing a domestic senior game (for River Plate).

Emanuel Mammana also did this for Argentina. Ironically he replaced Mascherano as a sub to make his debut.

In a Rangers/Scotland equation (which is the only thing I'm interested in) there won't be many who have had a quicker rise to national level than this young lad.

Aberdeen have just had a boy from their youth team called up to Malawi or somethin.

Hasn’t made many appearances at all.

Edit - 2 games for Aberdeen and 2 for Cove on loan.

Last edited:
No idea how many times he had played for the filth first team, but the Bravest Big Nose in football got capped after not playing much for them. He got his injury in his only Scotland appearance.

Darren Fletcher made his debut in his first real season as well, I think, although not sure after how many games.

Darren Fletcher and Scott McTominay must be close?

Edit - Fletcher made his debut in August 2003. In the 2002/3 season he made only two appearances for Man Utd in the CL. So he must have been in single digits.

Last edited:
Patterson is going to the very, very top. With some players you can just see it, his goal against Standard at Ibrox cemented it for me; you can't write moments like that. It's a great bonus that he has Tav, Gerrard and Gary Mac to learn from.

Delighted for the young man tonight, he and his family will be very proud and so should we be as a club. Rangers are the premier club of Scotland and I look forward to the day that Rangers men are the backbone of the national team again.
Patterson is inexperienced and has very few games at first-team level, yet he manages to stand out every time you see him.
Quite simply he is a player who learns quickly and every step up that you place before him he surmounts with ease.
Other players need time, young Patterson just needs the chance.
Yes, he is going to the top.

No idea how many times he had played for the filth first team, but the Bravest Big Nose in football got capped after not playing much for them. He got his injury in his only Scotland appearance.
Didn’t realise he played so little games

Played three seasons before he was capped at 19 in May 1973.
It was much more difficult to get capped in those days too.
Derek was an incredible football player.
Perhaps too good in too many positions and this diluted the impact on the international stage.
Had he concentrated at centre half he would have been a stand out centre back.
Perhaps he would have been the long term pivot for Scotland in the seventies.
Yet at centre forward I don't think I ever saw anyone better in the air in Scottish domestic football.
I always thought he would have been a great midfielder or even full back into the bargain.
Sadly when he was hitting his peak, Rangers were losing their edge as a team and his career went into free fall.
I am not, particularly sure that a post-war Rangers eleven that fails to include him, could ever be an accurate representation of his place in our history.

In a Rangers/Scotland equation (which is the only thing I'm interested in) there won't be many who have had a quicker rise to national level than this young lad.

He's
He's a real talent but it does show up the lack of depth in quality players in this country when a boy is promoted this quickly.

It was telling how he was given the ball by his teammates compared to O'Donkey.

Scotland will be badly exposed with Hanley, O'Donkey, Gallagher playing.
Yes I imagine the team talk by Alky was something like “and remember boys, don’t for feck sake pass the ball to O’Donnell, he’s only playing because he has photos of me sleeping in my own vomit”

Nathan Patterson has started less than 10 games for Rangers, (9 Starts, 7 as a Sub)!
That is quite remarkable.
I can't think of anyone in the last sixty odd years who would have been capped so early in their career.
The closest I can think of would be Davie Provan who won his first cap in Oct 63', just six months after replacing Eric Caldow in the Rangers team, following his leg break at Wembley in April 63', but Provan had Started in at least 32 games by then, including 5 games v Celtic (4 wins and a draw), won the League Title, the Scottish Cup, and played in the European Cup.

Rubin Colwill made his debut for Wales last week having only played 6 games and less than 200 minutes for Cardiff.

I’m sure Callum Hudson-Odoi had never started a Premier League game when he made his England debut.

Harry Wilson made his Wales debut in October 2013 beating Gareth Bale’s record for youngest ever Welsh player.

It was another two years before he played senior 1st team football whilst on loan to Crewe

Miles Beerman? According to wikipedia, he made his Rangers debut on 6th April 2017 and was capped for Malta in June 2017.

The legendary Neilly Gibson joined Rangers from non-league Royal Albert in November 1894. His Rangers debut on 1st December was his first ever league game, and he had only played 8 times for the club when picked to play for Scotland against Ireland on March 30th 1895.

A player that I wish film footage existed, the great English player Steve Bloomer described Gibson as "the best player I have ever seen".

He's
He's a real talent but it does show up the lack of depth in quality players in this country when a boy is promoted this quickly.
Can it not just be that he’s helluva good?
Was the same said when the likes of Henderson debuted at eighteen?

The legendary Neilly Gibson joined Rangers from non-league Royal Albert in November 1894. His Rangers debut on 1st December was his first ever league game, and he had only played 8 times for the club when picked to play for Scotland against Ireland on March 30th 1895.

A player that I wish film footage existed, the great English player Steve Bloomer described Gibson as "the best player I have ever seen".
With regards to some footage? Me, too also.
Derek was an incredible football player.
Perhaps too good in too many positions and this diluted the impact on the international stage.
Had he concentrated at centre half he would have been a stand out centre back.
Perhaps he would have been the long term pivot for Scotland in the seventies.
Yet at centre forward I don't think I ever saw anyone better in the air in Scottish domestic football.
I always thought he would have been a great midfielder or even full back into the bargain.
Sadly when he was hitting his peak, Rangers were losing their edge as a team and his career went into free fall.
I am not, particularly sure that a post-war Rangers eleven that fails to include him, could ever be an accurate representation of his place in our history.
I've said it before. I think Derek Johnstone was a hostage to his versatility.

Can it not just be that he’s helluva good?
Was the same said when the likes of Henderson debuted at eighteen?
He is very good, that much is obvious and he's improving with every passing game.
I'm not being in the least outlandish when I say there was far more talent around when Henderson made his debut.

Back