Funeral today, Penny Arcade banned

LOL 133

I was at my father in law's funeral this week at Holytown Crematorium. Singing is not allowed due to the virus and no hymns were sung. Instead the family requested a number of favourite songs including Simply the Best and Penny Arcade. They played STB but said PA wasnt allowed. They said PA was banned along with The Fields of Athenry.

?????

I remember a pub landlord telling me penny arcade and just can’t get enough was banned, can’t remember if he said it was from police or licensing board or what

That doesn't sound right to me. The music is all computerised now and setup by the Funeral Director. It's not like previously when a CD could be handed in with tunes or versions of them that you wouldn't play in mixed company.

Tell a lie often enough and the tims will believe it.
World we live in, their propaganda machine works well! When that student Matt Crilly put his tweet out about the club perpetuating racism he got support from some young girl at another uni. She said not surprised from a club that still plays PA! Some of the youth who are happy to jump on things without a wee bit of critical thinking! It makes me sick, the song is harmless and the intent is joy, nothing sinister at all!

Farcical, I mind a cousin of mine wanting to sing I’m a believer on the Karaoke, the daft bint doing it said it was banned, he tried telling her it was probably Daydream believer that was banned, she refused point blank.

They are just songs.

World we live in, their propaganda machine works well! When that student Matt Crilly put his tweet out about the club perpetuating racism he got support from some young girl at another uni. She said not surprised from a club that still plays PA! Some of the youth who are happy to jump on things without a wee bit of critical thinking! It makes me sick, the song is harmless and the intent is joy, nothing sinister at all!
This is the same youth that worryingly keeps Sturgeon in with a chance of independence. Bandwagon jumping sheep.

I was at my father in law's funeral this week at Holytown Crematorium. Singing is not allowed due to the virus and no hymns were sung. Instead the family requested a number of favourite songs including Simply the Best and Penny Arcade. They played STB but said PA wasnt allowed. They said PA was banned along with The Fields of Athenry.

?????
Sad to hear this at this sad time for your family, but not surprised as I know the Holytown area well.
Local pub the White House where a big shamrock on the door tells you it's a mickey slop house.
RC primary school is called Christ the King Catholic Primary School.
Lots of timmy live in North Lanarkshire as a whole.
Neighbouring Bellshill area has more bluenoses it appears to me.

This is the same youth that worryingly keeps Sturgeon in with a chance of independence. Bandwagon jumping sheep.
hunks should not be allowed to vote or drink alcohol until they are 21 years old.
Sturgeon knowingly drops the voting age to 16 years old to play on their inexperience of life, and rely on their votes to further their dream of independence.

Last edited:
hunks should not be allowed to vote or drink alcohol until they are 21 years old.
Sturgeon knowingly drops the voting age to 16 years old to play on their inexperience of life, and rely on their votes to further their dream of independence.
Absolutely she does. The folk with life experience know exactly why this is a bad idea.
Not sure you’d get many takers for bumping the alcohol age up to 21 though.

Absolutely she does. The folk with life experience know exactly why this is a bad idea.
Not sure you’d get many takers for bumping the alcohol age up to 21 though.
Don't know about that you have to be 21 and over to drink in the USA.
Why do the Yanks make this rule?

It's pathetic isn't it this nanny state. The reason they moved on to the lie about Penny Arcade being a song glorifying a murder in Belfast was because the lie was first used as to why we done the bouncy even though the bouncy came before the killing actually occured.
I have pointed out to some of the more demented of them at work that the line 'Step up and play' was used by us to advertise season tickets hence the playing of the song at Ibrox but nope, they'd rather believe the lies their total zoomer bloggers make up about us.

Sad to hear this at this sad time for your family, but not surprised as I know the Holytown area well.
Local pub the White House where a big shamrock on the door tells you it's a mickey slop house.
Tell that to the guys in The Crown or the guys who go on the local Rangers Supporters bus.

Holytown was/is a traditional protestant town which over the years has, unfortunately, seen an increase in the proportion of the unwashed moving into the area.

Yes there is a Catholic primary school, a Catholic Church and a pub frequented by the mhanky mhob who run a supporters bus from there. How many small towns, particularly historically protestant towns, can say that they don't now have any of the above.

?????
Fecking ridiculous!

It's pathetic isn't it this nanny state. The reason they moved on to the lie about Penny Arcade being a song glorifying a murder in Belfast was because the lie was first used as to why we done the bouncy even though the bouncy came before the killing actually occured.
I have pointed out to some of the more demented of them at work that the line 'Step up and play' was used by us to advertise season tickets hence the playing of the song at Ibrox but nope, they'd rather believe the lies their total zoomer bloggers make up about us.
Amazing! Penny Arcade is a Roy Orbison hit from the 60s/70s. I am sure Roy would be astounded that his song was considered by some as sectarian. What’s the difference between ‘The Bouncy’ and ‘The Poznan‘? Nothing, except Rangers fans actually watch the match while doing ‘The Bouncy’ while the Celtic fans turn their backs to the pitch for ‘The Poznan’. Mind you, I have always thought that’s the best way to watch Celtic

Was hokey pokey banned as well?

EDIT: Being a funeral mind you probably not the best choice :))

Good idea for the Cremmy just as the coffin starts going through the drapes then back out, then in, then out then everyone could shake themselves about! Would fair lighten the sombre mood of the funeral

Tell that to the guys in The Crown or the guys who go on the local Rangers Supporters bus.

Holytown was/is a traditional protestant town which over the years has, unfortunately, seen an increase in the proportion of the unwashed moving into the area.

Yes there is a Catholic primary school, a Catholic Church and a pub frequented by the mhanky mhob who run a supporters bus from there. How many small towns, particularly historically protestant towns, can say that they don't now have any of the above.
Your being swamped week in week out.
I would be looking to move out of Holytown if I was you, as it's deterioration is in free fall.
Stabbings at the mickey slop house over Christmas a while back over the craic.
Newarthill the surrounding area is another bad area. Carfin? well it speaks for itself.

I know, as I have family there and they are moving out soon because it's a timmy playground mainly.

There are definitely more of them at the bottom end of the town, but the top end, where Holytown Parish Church is, the Crown Bar, The Cenotaph and indeed the Crematorium, has a large and active Unionist Community. There are a number of Orange Halls in a couple of miles radius.

Holytown cenotaph, just along from the Crematorium, is the most paraded to cenotaph in Scotland outside Glasgow.

The pub you mention is a slop house and there are always fights there. The Crown on Main Street is Staunch and true as of course are the Orange and Masonic Halls next to Holytown Train Station.
Holytown is bordered by Newarthill, Bellshill, New Stevenson and Carfin and only the latter really has a majority of them.

There are definitely more of them at the bottom end of the town, but the top end, where Holytown Parish Church is, the Crown Bar, The Cenotaph and indeed the Crematorium, has a large and active Unionist Community. There are a number of Orange Halls in a couple of miles radius.

Holytown cenotaph, just along from the Crematorium, is the most paraded to cenotaph in Scotland outside Glasgow.

The pub you mention is a slop house and there are always fights there. The Crown on Main Street is Staunch and true as of course are the Orange and Masonic Halls next to Holytown Train Station.
Holytown is bordered by Newarthill, Bellshill, New Stevenson and Carfin and only the latter really has a majority of them.
Newarthill is not a desired area I'm told Stevie?
Don't know if houses lots of the great unwashed

Also, I meant to say condolensces to the OP and his family. Most of my own have been bade farewell at this Crematorium.

Prohibition repealed in 1933
Yanks don't seem to be in a hurry to change the 21years and older law to be served alcohol.
And since then States have gone through various changes in their legal drinking ages. Most aren't in a hurry as there are serious funding penalties to states who have their legal age below 21.

Back