Games that matter Today around Europe?

Phil'ieve

There are games on in Germany, Portugal, Italy etc Today. Anyone clued up with who still has what to play for and any games that are worth watching? :)

It's the A-league semi-final second legs. Grand Final is next week.

Wellington Phoenix have just scored a 90+9 min equaliser to take the first game in to Extra Time - they are a New Zealand based team who play in the Australian League.

Also Bolton v Oxford in the League One play-off Final

In terms of affecting us this weekend there is Anderlecht vs Brugge in Belgium. 2 games to go, tied at the top. Winner takes all, loser might not even finish 2nd depending on USG results. Sparta could confirm the league meaning Slavia Prague join us, Benfica (for now) and Dynamo Kiev in the confirmed CL qualifying teams. An Atalanta win all but confirms them (and by default Benfica) an automatic group spot. Partisan Belgrade and Backa Topola fighting it out for 2nd in Serbia, Partisan in terrible form. Galatasaray could clinch the league at home and confirm Fenerbahce in the qualifiers too, 6 ahead, one more after this to go. Salzburg need Sturm Graz to draw today or they will join us too. Lugano can secure a qualifier spot with a win today. Lille only ahead on goal difference, straight shoot out between them and Brest, could very well come down to goal difference. 1 in it I'm sure. Think that's about all that affects us.

In terms of affecting us this weekend there is Anderlecht vs Brugge in Belgium. 2 games to go, tied at the top. Winner takes all, loser might not even finish 2nd depending on USG results. Sparta could confirm the league meaning Slavia Prague join us, Benfica (for now) and Dynamo Kiev in the confirmed CL qualifying teams. An Atalanta win all but confirms them (and by default Benfica) an automatic group spot. Partisan Belgrade and Backa Topola fighting it out for 2nd in Serbia, Partisan in terrible form. Galatasaray could clinch the league at home and confirm Fenerbahce in the qualifiers too, 6 ahead, one more after this to go. Salzburg need Sturm Graz to draw today or they will join us too. Lugano can secure a qualifier spot with a win today. Lille only ahead on goal difference, straight shoot out between them and Brest, could very well come down to goal difference. 1 in it I'm sure. Think that's about all that affects us.
See @PT98 I wouldn't have known all this even if I looked :D

Great post. Cheers

Atalanta are in a CL spot, three points ahead with a game in hand so will probably play a weaker side today.
I did not know that fifth was a champions league place now as well.

Was looking forward to them going for fourth with Juve vs Bologna on Monday too.

Does the winner of Europa League still get an CL spot for next season?

Was looking forward to them going for fourth with Juve vs Bologna on Monday too.

Never realised they get 5 places either how did this come about

Italy got the extra place on this new system based on the teams performances this season - Germany also - it is only for the coming season

EL winners still get place in CL League Stage

So Roma or Lazio could still catch Atalanta for 5th. Atalanta win in Dublin and Italy have 6 teams in the CL.

And they said Serie A was dead.

A

As long as Atalanta are confirmed 5th it's guaranteed. If not and Roma end up getting it then we need Leverkusen to win the final for Benfica not to be in the qualifiers beside us. Worst case we could still be 3rd seeds and have to beat Benfica or Brugge in order to qualify, a much harder task. Italy and Germany both got a 5th spot due to having the 2 highest combined team coefficients accrued by all their clubs in Europe this season. Accrued more points than England.

A
As long as Atalanta are confirmed 5th it's guaranteed. If not and Roma end up getting it then we need Leverkusen to win the final for Benfica not to be in the qualifiers beside us. Worst case we could still be 3rd seeds and have to beat Benfica or Brugge in order to qualify, a much harder task. Italy and Germany both got a 5th spot due to having the 2 highest combined team coefficients accrued by all their clubs in Europe this season. Accrued more points than England.
Jesus Christ almighty.

I'd not given much thought to the new format for the CL next season, and this post is exactly why.

Who has the time to try and keep abreast of all these moving parts?

I forgot Holland. Twente need to beat Zwolle in order to guarantee 3rd spot and a qualifier. AZ could still nick it if they beat Utrecht and the Twente result goes their way. For further clarification, Fenerbache, Salzburg, Partisan, Slavia and Lugano are all looking to join Dynamo Kiev in the 2nd qualifying round. Fenerbahce, Salzburg and Slavia would be the 3 seeded teams. Only 3 of those 6 will join us in the 3rd qualifying round.

Can't see them doing that to be honest with Roma having the easier two games to finish the season.

They'll go full pelt today for the win today and secure the 5th place finish I reckon even with the final coming up.
Possibly mate, I hope they rest players though!

Jesus Christ almighty.

I'd not given much thought to the new format for the CL next season, and this post is exactly why.

Who has the time to try and keep abreast of all these moving parts?
I love going down these rabbit holes but still not found an answer for what happens if Benfica do move into an auto spot as it'd only leave 7 teams. So it's either a bye to the play off round (so us or Brugge), the highest coefficient in the 2nd round getting a bye to the 3rd, an additional team from Portugal coming in to even it up (Porto or Braga, think they play each other this weekend to more or less confirm who is 3rd too) or a team from whichever country is next on the coefficient rankings. It's clear as mud but I'm trying my best. B-)

This is the sp at bottom of Bundesliga:

Munster go up if they can win today in Germany 3 Liga.

Thessaloniki Derby tomorrow is huge. PAOK can win the league.

Also tomorrow if Wiesbaden beat St Pauli they send Hansa down. If they can’t and Hansa win then Hansa are in the play off and Wiesbaden are down. Loads are at Hansa training right now.

I love going down these rabbit holes but still not found an answer for what happens if Benfica do move into an auto spot as it'd only leave 7 teams. So it's either a bye to the play off round (so us or Brugge), the highest coefficient in the 2nd round getting a bye to the 3rd, an additional team from Portugal coming in to even it up (Porto or Braga, think they play each other this weekend to more or less confirm who is 3rd too) or a team from whichever country is next on the coefficient rankings. It's clear as mud but I'm trying my best. B-)
If Braga and Porto are a factor further down the line (I personally doubt it) there is one point between them in Porto's favour and a Braga home win would secure them 3rd. Last game of the season, Braga vs Porto, kick off 8.30pm.

Atalanta are away to Lecce at 5pm. A win takes them 6 clear of Roma and 7 clear of Lazio with 2 to play.

I'm slipping. Partisan Belgrade confirmed their place yesterday after a 1 nil win for them was accompanied by a 2 nil loss for Topola. 4 ahead, 1 to play.

I think it's another country that get a qualifying spot rather than Portugal.

I think it's another country that get a qualifying spot rather than Portugal.
In which case it would be Brann of Norway. They are 8 games into their new season already.

If that's accurate then Slavia will get replaced by Brann and be bumped up to the 3rd qualifying round. Joining us as either the 2nd or 3rd seeds depending on what happens with Brugge.

There's actually a permutation that can see Hearts get direct access to the EL.

Dortmund win the CL, and Atalanta win the EL but finish in EL spots in Serie A, then Hearts get direct access to the EL.

In the event Benfica move directly to the CL group stage, the two highest ranked sides in CL QR2 get a bye to QR3.

This is taken from Berts site - he seems to have overlooked Italy having 5 spots mind you, or Atalanta finishing in 5th doesn't actually impact this in the way we think

This is the sp at bottom of Bundesliga:

Munster go up if they can win today in Germany 3 Liga.

Thessaloniki Derby tomorrow is huge. PAOK can win the league.

Also tomorrow if Wiesbaden beat St Pauli they send Hansa down. If they can’t and Hansa win it then Hansa are in the play off and Wiesbaden are down. Loads are at Hansa training right now.
MSV in the Regionaliga next season….

There's actually a permutation that can see Hearts get direct access to the EL.

Dortmund win the CL, and Atalanta win the EL but finish in EL spots in Serie A, then Hearts get direct access to the EL.

In the event Benfica move directly to the CL group stage, the two highest ranked sides in CL QR2 get a bye to QR3.

This is taken from Berts site - he seems to have overlooked Italy having 5 spots mind you, or Atalanta finishing in 5th doesn't actually impact this in the way we think

Must be mixing up the 5th spot for Atalanta as if they finish there then they qualify through league position so it should free the extra space for Benfica as that is the criteria. The only reason that may not be the case is if Roma or Lazio were promoted to the extra league place if Atalanta won the Europa which I can't see being the case.

Not that it really matters, but looks like Bayern will finish on 75 points, which is 4 points more than won them the title last season. This season they'll finish 15 points behind with Leverkusen on 90 points - 40 points more than last season. Helluva turnaround!

Atalanta with quite a bit of rotation, should still win.
They had the copa Italia final midweek, Europa final coming shortly and don't play their game in hand against Fiorentina until early June. That doesn't surprise me, they've played, by their normal standards, a lot of games this season.

92nd minute winner for Union to keep them up. Bochum in playoff

Reactions: VGM
They had the copa Italia final midweek, Europa final coming shortly and don't play their game in hand against Fiorentina until early June. That doesn't surprise me, they've played, by their normal standards, a lot of games this season.
I know, mate.

I said earlier I expected them to rotate.

Heidenheim in Conference League if Leverkusen win the cup.

Amazing first top flight season.

92nd minute winner for Union to keep them up. Bochum in playoff
7/4 at Bet365 Fortuna get promoted, it is 5/4 in Germany - I think it should be shorter, They have a great chance of doing Bochum.

Slavia and Sparta both won (in injury time in both but Sparta 5 up) which confirms Sparta as champions and Slavia in the qualifiers beside us.

Not that it really matters, but looks like Bayern will finish on 75 points, which is 4 points more than won them the title last season. This season they'll finish 15 points behind with Leverkusen on 90 points - 40 points more than last season. Helluva turnaround!
Just noticed they finished third there after losing.

Atalanta 0-0 at ht. If they can squeeze out a win they will go 1 point behind Juve and Bologna with 2 to play with better goal difference than both. Not inconceivable they could finish comfortably in the CL placings.

The lack of EPL games today is annoying. Yeah I know it's tomorrow but I hate Sunday football. Sundays are depressing.

Back