Gareth Bale

I reckon he’ll go to a team in France or Italy, don’t think Man City need him and don’t think united or the rest could afford the wages he’s on. He’s a great player can’t understand why ZZ doesn’t like him

I reckon he’ll go to a team in France or Italy, don’t think Man City need him and don’t think united or the rest could afford the wages he’s on. He’s a great player can’t understand why ZZ doesn’t like him

Utd could afford him. They already have Pogba who plays as and when he wants though. Not sure they need another.

He's been treated terribly by Real Madrid.

Normally would say that a professional footballer shouldn't waste his talent like this but he has given Madrid so much and still being turned in to the whipping boy.

He's been treated terribly by Real Madrid.

Normally would say that a professional footballer shouldn't waste his talent like this but he has given Madrid so much and still being turned in to the whipping boy.

So much? Not sure about that, he’s spent massive periods of time out injured and also had various spells where he spent most games hiding and his team mates and the fans were rightly on his back.

He scored a corker in a CL final and his overall goals tally is decent but at a club like that you’ll never be forgiven for hiding, particular in Clasicos where he’s had a tendency to disappear.

So much? Not sure about that, he’s spent massive periods of time out injured and also had various spells where he spent most games hiding and his team mates and the fans were rightly on his back.

He scored a corker in a CL final and his overall goals tally is decent but at a club like that you’ll never be forgiven for hiding, particular in Clasicos where he’s had a tendency to disappear.

His trophy haul at Madrid should be enough to make him a fan favourite. I'm not sure about hiding in Classicos he had some great performances in them. Remember that goal he scored after running down the left wing, Copa Del Rey I think? Amazing goal.

Has he not declined a fair bit? Not the pace he once had?

Can’t see United touching him after the Sanchez debacle.

I thought he’d end up at Chelsea but I can’t see Lampard going for him. Also the young guys they have have better potential IMO.
Maybe Man U would go for him.

An absolute rich waster, look at his team mate Ronaldo still doing the business at Juventus. No doubt he could have sat on his bum and taken the money, but he at least got tore in and is still impressing.

His trophy haul at Madrid should be enough to make him a fan favourite. I'm not sure about hiding in Classicos he had some great performances in them. Remember that goal he scored after running down the left wing, Copa Del Rey I think? Amazing goal.

Yeah that was one game and that trophy doesn’t quite hold the same importance though. If he was the main driving then force in getting those trophies I think you might have a point but he wasn’t really and he’s played second or third fiddle to others.

Even that first CL final against Atletico he was rank rotten and missed a sitter in normal time before eventually getting a tap in during extra time, I think if Ramos hadn’t equalised in stoppage time he’d have taken serious heat for that loss. But ultimately I just think with the standards at a club like that you’ll never get away with the number of disappearing acts he’s done. When your own team mates start getting on at you you’re in trouble, he’s just looked a bag of nerves at times. Should be said though their fans are absolute bastards, I remember after one defeat they waited outside the car park and tried to volley his car as he was driving away.

Yeah that was one game and that trophy doesn’t quite hold the same importance though. If he was the main driving then force in getting those trophies I think you might have a point but he wasn’t really and he’s played second or third fiddle to others.

Even that first CL final against Atletico he was rank rotten and missed a sitter in normal time before eventually getting a tap in during extra time, I think if Ramos hadn’t equalised in stoppage time he’d have taken serious heat for that loss. But ultimately I just think with the standards at a club like that you’ll never get away with the number of disappearing acts he’s done. When your own team mates start getting on at you you’re in trouble, he’s just looked a bag of nerves at times. Should be said though their fans are absolute bastards, I remember after one defeat they waited outside the car park and tried to volley his car as he was driving away.

I was at a Madrid game a few years ago and they were booing players on to the park. Was like a fucking pantomime.

That first CL final was a strange one - as you say, he was woeful in the 90 minutes (although I wouldn't say he went hiding in that game, just his finishing was chronic) but he did get the goal to put them 2-1 up. Ultimately Madrid bought him to win their 10th and he helped them achieve it in his first year. Neither side is blameless here but I've got very little sympathy for Madrid - if they want to put players on bloated contracts, they need to accept some players will be happy to sit it out. James seems to be in a similar position

That first CL final was a strange one - as you say, he was woeful in the 90 minutes (although I wouldn't say he went hiding in that game, just his finishing was chronic) but he did get the goal to put them 2-1 up. Ultimately Madrid bought him to win their 10th and he helped them achieve it in his first year. Neither side is blameless here but I've got very little sympathy for Madrid - if they want to put players on bloated contracts, they need to accept some players will be happy to sit it out. James seems to be in a similar position

Should point out I definitely don’t think he hid in that game at all. He just didn’t play well and passed up a golden chance in normal time.

Should point out I definitely don’t think he hid in that game at all. He just didn’t play well and passed up a golden chance in normal time.
He's definitely had spells of weeks/months were he was getting a game and contributing very little. Its part of the debate of being a football fan though - are the spells where he disappoints worth it for the big moments (i.e. Copa Del Rey final goal and obviously the goal against Liverpool)?

He's definitely had spells of weeks/months were he was getting a game and contributing very little. Its part of the debate of being a football fan though - are the spells where he disappoints worth it for the big moments (i.e. Copa Del Rey final goal and obviously the goal against Liverpool)?

That goal against Liverpool has to go some way to keeping him from being properly disliked. Only person who maybe disliked him was CR7 since he stole his thunder haha. Incidentally Ronaldo was one of the worst for publicly slating him on the pitch.

That goal against Liverpool has to go some way to keeping him from being properly disliked. Only person who maybe disliked him was CR7 since he stole his thunder haha. Incidentally Ronaldo was one of the worst for publicly slating him on the pitch.
Always got the sense Bale was almost waiting for Ronaldo to give up his throne as king of Madrid and it hasn't worked out for him at all since he left for Juve. No doubt Bale's focus for the past 5/6 years has been Wales where he is rightly adored for his performances for them. (a la David Healy for NI :)))

It just shows up football for what it has become.

He’s quite content to warm the bench and take a ridiculous wage home that people can only dream about.

There’s no loyalty in the game anymore and very little self pride.

The big clubs have spent mega millions on players of various levels and players are more interested in the lifestyle than actually winning trophies.

I’m not blaming GB for his actions ( or lack of ) it’s down to the clubs.

think he put in a hell of a lot of work to get where he is, from the left back at southampton. But he has completely chucked it now he has made his wage, he is basically retired imo, and he couldn't give a toss. Shame really as majority of people on here would love to have an ounce of his talent or even the ability to play pro football

Prick

Some double standards here like. If a Rangers players behaved like GB 99% would be kicking off.

In my opinion regardless of how he was treated he should have continued to progress his career in Madrid or elsewhere.

What has Sanchez got to do with Bale?
No guarantee it would end up same way as Sanchez but think the guy is suggesting MU might be reluctant to pick up another unmotivated, unhappy player In his thirties on hundreds of thousands a week.

Good on him. Madrid have treated him like shit, even though he gave his all in helping them win so many Champions Leagues. I hope he continues to play gold, get paid, and then leave Madrid when his contract is up to go somewhere he will be appreciated.

I live in Wales and even taking aside the bias of the locals - they love him - he’s regarded as a decent, humble lad, not arrogant or impacted by his status in any way. And he certainly puts every effort in when playing for his country, that is undeniable. So he does still want to play, he still loves the game, he’s just in the middle of a lucrative contract that seems to have turned toxic for whatever reason. If he does get a move, to Man Utd or somewhere similar, I’m in no doubt that his genuine talent would come to the fore again.
He does get a bad press because of his seemingly laid back attitude. When he does get on the field he is always ready to put in a shift for his team. If the manager does not pick him not much he can do other than that.

I know he gets a hard time from the Madrid press but he has been ripping it out the fans lately. His banner about Madrid being last of his priorities was poor and he was joking to be asleep in the stands last night.

The fact he is quite happy to not play and take his pay check sums him up really, any other player would be demanding a move surely?

Some double standards here like. If a Rangers players behaved like GB 99% would be kicking off.

In my opinion regardless of how he was treated he should have continued to progress his career in Madrid or elsewhere.
I wouldn't be happy but I'd be aware that most of the blame would lie with the club

Is the not speaking Spanish thing a total myth? Seemingly he’s fluent. I actually don’t get their hatred of him. 205 appearances, 105 goals, 68 assists. 1 la liga title, soon to be 2, 4 champions leagues and 1 copa del Rey.
I hope he gets his move and hopefully back to the premier league.

There’s a lot of hypocrisy here. We claim players lack ambition if they’d rather play for a smaller club in a better league, yet Bale’s being applauded for being happy to sit on his arse and do nothing.

And it’s not as though people can say he’s still got some ambition and he’s waiting for the right move, because the truth is he was all set to go to China until RM pulled the plug. If any Rangers player does what he’s doing now they’d be getting the fraud/wage thief treatment.

There’s a lot of hypocrisy here. We claim players lack ambition if they’d rather play for a smaller club in a better league, yet Bale’s being applauded for being happy to sit on his arse and do nothing.

And it’s not as though people can say he’s still got some ambition and he’s waiting for the right move, because the truth is he was all set to go to China until RM pulled the plug. If any Rangers player does what he’s doing now they’d be getting the fraud/wage thief treatment.

I actually agree with this to a certain extent but at the same time see Real Madrid as such a uniquely arrogant basket case of a club that there's something kinda funny about this farmers boy who is only interested in playing golf and FIFA taking them for an absolute mug. Not since the Craig Levein retirement tour at Hearts a couple of years back have I seen a professional give less of a %^*&!

Madrid's fans clearly broke him a couple of years back and he's since made a deal with the devil to take the money at the expense of his career. I guess when you've won everything at club level and went as far as you know you will on the international stage it doesn't matter so much.

A bizarre career really.

The club gave him a contract - it’s their issue. If bale decides he enjoys the lifestyle and the life in Madrid, so be it. It’s his choice.

Fair play to him - he’ll have a lifestyle we can only dream off.He seems like a nice guy as well, unlike many others in similar positions.

He's already left his mark on football.

He’s 30 years old. It’s such a pathetic lazy attitude. People won’t just hark back and talk about what an immense talent Gareth Bale was though, on top of that he’ll end up being remembered just as much for being a crock, whose fans and club hated him and who packed in having any serious impact on top level football before he was 30 - as much as he’ll be remembered for doing well for Wales or bagging one of the best CL goals ever. He’ll always be remembered as playing 2nd, 3rd and 4th fiddle to other players at the world’s biggest club too. Once Ronaldo exited that should have been a great chance for him.

Given he’s got the tools to go and do really well for a Premier League side I find that quite sad personally.

Last edited:
Look, if you score one of the best goals in a Copa del Rey final, won the league with Real Madrid and then the best goal ever scored in a European Cup final to win it for the 4th time and the response you get to warming up is this:

Then yeah, I'd be laughing too.

Personally, I think he'll drop a level to somewhere like Benfica or Porto at the end of the season to get consistent game time and a few more seasons of success on the continent.

Tbh if he really wanted to leave he would drop his wage demands. I could only see 1 pos 2 clubs able to afford him. He's on 300k+ p/w right?

If he does just see out his contract, he'll pick up another somewhere else on huge money with their being no transfer fee. Hard to blame him for refusing to be pushed out the door there but I don't think he needs to act like a total bell end

Back