Gareth Bale

Hard to tell whether he’s simply lost interest with Real Madrid or with football in general.

I’d like to see him get a move to a club he’s enthusiastic about. When on form he’s a joy to watch.

A player who has been crucial to them winning Champions League and La Liga titles.

Yet still he's been given pelters by their fans and media, had crowds gather outside training to throw stuff at him, etc... He has every right to collect his money and treat them with contempt.

Wales.Golf. Madrid. :)

He needs to get back playing on a regular basis, an absolute pleasure to watch in full flow.

As an aside, he had three signature golf holes - from Sawgrass, Troon & Augusta built within the grounds of his home in Cardiff to keep his hand in.

Haha brilliant, his don't-give-a-feckometer is completely off the scale.

Nobody else can match the wages Madrid agreed to pay. Would anyone on this forum leave their job to do the same thing for considerably less?

How about for less and to live in say Manchester instead of sunny Madrid where he’s already settled?

Fair play to him.

Interesting read on bbc site today on him:
Admittedly it’s written by Balague

While Zinedine Zidane is not generally regarded as being tactically the most sophisticated in the world, the trust and understanding he builds with all of his players is frequently cited as being second to none and the key to his success.

He understands them, he was one of them. He gives chances to anyone.

Gareth Bale would beg to differ.

It would be wrong to say their relationship has broken down because in reality it never even began to build up fully.

From the outset, they understand the profession and life very differently, and at the end of Zidane's first tenure in 2018, the distance had grown even though there was not a single incident to point out to when the bridges started breaking down.

Simply put, Zidane could not get to Bale and Bale started to sense it. And no words or conversations between his agent, Jonathan Barnett, and the club president Florentino Perez, a fan of Bale, could repair it.

Bale's relationship with Real gained further headlines in the last few days when he was photographed in the stands pretending to be asleep for a few seconds during his team-mates' game against Alaves and looking to the distance through a rolled-up piece of paper against Granada.

Bale was pictured entertaining himself in the stands while real Madrid played Granada on Monday, three days after pretending to be asleep against Alaves
To try to understand what is going on with Bale's tense and tortuous spell at the club, we need to take a brief look at how we actually got to this point.

Before people start marking him as a failure, a predictable and boring national sport in Spanish media, think on this: Despite all his problems he is still the fifth highest goalscorer at Real Madrid in the 21st century - behind Cristiano Ronaldo, Raul, Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain - and has scored 105 goals in 251 games.

He has won one league title - soon to be two, probably, despite having played less of a part in proceedings this season - four Champions Leagues and against Liverpool in the 2018 final also scored what many believe to be the greatest ever Champions League final goal.

If that is failure, I'd be interested to see what success looks like.

But the sad reality is that it seems neither man came up to each other's expectations.

One of the main reasons Zidane left Real Madrid for the first time after the 2018 Champions league final was because of Bale. Put simply, the club - and specifically Perez - wanted to keep Bale and effectively turn him into the new Ronaldo, while Zidane most certainly didn't.

So Zidane, unable to get any of his points across to the president, left.

And when he returned in March 2019 one of the main conditions for his return was the departure of Bale.

A deal was brokered in the summer of 2019 that would take Bale to Chinese side Jiangsu Suning. No money would change hands and Real Madrid would, over the then six seasons Bale had played at the club, have amortised their €100m investment (£85.3m at the time).

Bale's last appearance for Zidane's side was on 24 June in a 2-0 win over Mallorca
A dispassionate, matter of fact Zidane announced the end of the Welshman's stay at the club in a press conference at a pre-season tournament in Texas: "It's nothing personal. The club is negotiating with whom he is going to play for. If he leaves tomorrow it would be best for everyone."

Bale was, and in fact still is, the highest paid player at the club but his wages at his new club would have made him the highest paid player in the history of the game. Real Madrid would save themselves the £35m plus they would have to pay him in wages for the remainder of his contract and Zidane would get what he wanted, namely Gareth Bale out of the Bernabeu.

Everyone's a winner - what could go wrong? Well just about everything actually.

Although Real Madrid wanted a fee for the player, Bale's people persuaded them that it was in the interest of everyone to let him go for free.

Everything was in place for a move, but suddenly news of a supposed offer of around €40m (£36m) for James Rodriguez came to the club's notice. How could selling Rodriguez for that sort of money, while simultaneously giving away Gareth Bale, be justified they thought?

Real Madrid immediately demanded a fee for the player and that was the end of that. From that moment on the Chinese club would not even accept any calls from any of the parties involved in the negotiation.

To add insult to injury the alleged offer for Rodriguez was later found to be fake. Rodriguez, another player who Zidane seems to have struggled with, is still at Real Madrid.

Bale now found himself stranded at a club where the manager had made it abundantly clear he was not wanted.

Something clicked in his mind at the point. Real Madrid had decided his future for him. For the time being at least, Bale was going nowhere.

Gareth Bale for Real Madrid
Minutes playedStarts
13-143,32936
14-154,03846
15-162,38129
16-171,93424
17-182,36126
18-192,62229
19-201,26014
Bale and his people did, however, make one last attempt in October to convince the club that a move was in the best interests of everyone, but was met by a wall of silence firstly from Zidane, whose response was to play him less and less, and then Perez who, having previously felt that Bale represented the new future of Real Madrid, effectively and unceremoniously kicked him into the long grass.

Also, there was no substantial offer to convince Bale to move away.

From the moment Bale started to receive the silent treatment his mind was made up; he knew what he was going to do.

If he wasn't going anywhere and if he wasn't going to get his chance to play, then his revenge would be to hang around until 30 June 2022 when his contract finally expires, by which time he will have received around 102 weeks' wages amounting to around £35.7m.

Years ago I spoke to Claude Makelele who told me when he was suffering at Chelsea: "I just look at my bank account and smile."

With a lifestyle that includes private jets, his own mini golf course in the 'back garden' of his home in Wales, and a luxurious house that he rents in Madrid, Gareth Bale is doing precisely the same thing.

He will stay and if they decide not to play him then that is their choice. Every now and then of course he will launch a shot across their bows.

Who can forget his "Wales. Golf. Madrid. In that order" banner that he lifted after playing a Euro qualifier for his country back in November?

His behaviour on the stands during Real's last few games is basically the same attitude to his situation.

An apoplectic Ruben Jimenez from Marca spluttered: "Does Bale intend to laugh in the stands until 2022? Doesn't he have desire for football or revenge?" To which the answers are yes, no (not at the moment) and yes!

Bale has looked happiest when turning out for Wales, helping them to qualify for the Euros
Against Granada, a game that needed new energy as the rivals were getting close to a dangerous draw, Zidane only used two subs and Bale did not even warm up.

He has played just five hours and 45 minute in La Liga in 2020 and when he does play he has made little difference, which gives Zidane the excuse to play him even less.

As things stand, if someone was to come to him and offer him a way back to the Premier League he would certainly not take it.

Unlike in October, when the message was he had decided to leave at the end of the season, now his thinking is something categorically different. He does not want to hear any offer from anyone at the moment and wants to stay at Real Madrid until the last day of his contract.

If he was to move it would only be on the condition that he would be earning more than he is currently earning at Real Madrid, because otherwise what would be the point of moving? And he knows nobody will offer that.

If you want to know where to find the real passion that Bale has for the game then you will see it when he is playing with his mates for Wales, which kind of flies in the face of the theory that he doesn't care and is only interested in the money.

The tragedy is that at the moment, in pure footballing terms, he is sacrificing what should be the greatest years of his life as he attempts to create a reality that he doesn't care about one of the main things he has strived for all his life to achieve.

A lot of clubs would have made a concerted effort to try to sort this out. Not Real Madrid, who have a clear idea and focus of where they are going and where they stand, and have indicated to both Bale and Rodriguez that they are not about to change their tactics, whatever it may cost them financially.

Their concern is that if they let Bale and Rodriguez win this battle then they will leave themselves open to a similar situation in the future.

What a mess. It is a battle of wills and it is a long way from finished.

Bale even in his pomp at Madrid was always on the outside looking in, he has just never fitted.

Maybe he is just a bit of a strange lad

Seemingly quite comfortable just taking the money and not exactly fussed about things like professional pride or his own legacy.
When he pulls on his nations strip there is nothing wrong with his professionalism and being one of the highest goalscorer in Reals history along with the CL titles then his legacy for me is intact.
Remember, he was all set for China and Real.changed the deal at the last minute, not his fault.
I am a huge admirer of him and want him back playing asap but don't have an issue with what he is doing.
It is made simpler when no matter what, you're getting 600k in the bank each week.

Real Madrid and Zidane have treated him like shit. Good on him for not giving a shit and taking a huge pay cut to move elsewhere. Quite happy to train in the sunshine and play golf the rest of the time. Good luck to him.

It just shows up football for what it has become.

He’s quite content to warm the bench and take a ridiculous wage home that people can only dream about.

There’s no loyalty in the game anymore and very little self pride.

The big clubs have spent mega millions on players of various levels and players are more interested in the lifestyle than actually winning trophies.

I’m not blaming GB for his actions ( or lack of ) it’s down to the clubs.

Works both ways...

Real Madrid are absolute bastards. Didn't even give Casillas a proper send off after all the years he'd been there.

Pretty sure Ronaldo used to get whistled and jeered at some games as well. Spoilt cunts.

Another example of the abomination of Modern Day Wages for over hyped footballers.

Laughable he was at one point the World's Most Expensive Player.

I dont think he was over hyped, to be fair. At Spurs, before his big money move, he was on fire.

When he pulls on his nations strip there is nothing wrong with his professionalism and being one of the highest goalscorer in Reals history along with the CL titles then his legacy for me is intact.
Remember, he was all set for China and Real.changed the deal at the last minute, not his fault.
I am a huge admirer of him and want him back playing asap but don't have an issue with what he is doing.
It is made simpler when no matter what, you're getting 600k in the bank each week.

Yeah no one’s applauding him for putting in a bit of effort of this country in a few games every year though.

The fact that at 29 he was happy to go to China is quite poor in my opinion. You definitely wouldn’t have seen Ronaldo piss off to a league like that just for the cash. Like I said, if we ended up in a situation where a Rangers player was doing something like this they’d be doing all sorts. That being said, as much as I think he’s ruining a good part of his career, Madrid deserve this and it’s a good laugh seeing them stuck shelling fortunes out to donkey kong and getting nothing in return.

Bale is an excellent player but he's making a bit of a dick of himself at Madrid. It's clear he doesn't get on with Zidane but his attitude has just been that of a petulant child. No professionalism from him at all really. He claims he's being disgustingly treated at Madrid - sounds a bit like when Barrie McKay said he was treated like an animal. As it total made up bullshit. I reckon her is getting a bit of stick at Madrid from management and players as well the fans and press. However, that's mainly because he's acting like a total dick of a man.

Madrid are better off getting shot of him but I guess they want to ensure they get the money they want. Either that or just want to actually treat him like the wank he's being.

Sure he'll get a move some point soon though. Hopefully that sparks his career off again as he's actually a very good player to watch when he can be arsed.

I dont think he was over hyped, to be fair. At Spurs, before his big money move, he was on fire.

When you see someone from the 80's or that then see the money a guy like him is on all because he can run fast then there's the Huge issue re Footballers and wages in 2020.

I generally can't stand Bale and what's he's become since his move to Real.

He was no Messi or Ronaldo and certainly wasn't near that level but he had it all when he got the dream move and it certainly started off well but I just get the feeling he was trying to hard to copy Ronaldo with his image and style etc his attitude and demeanor quickly changed despite the success and initially playing very very well but niggling injuries and being content to sit tight will have him retired in his early 30's that's a guarantee.

But to a see player in his prime years have no motivation to play or sort out his issues is depressing I know he's on a top contract but still why waste your best years not giving a toss ?

Bizarre.

Much abuse being dished out to Bale but in reality Madrid gave him a bumper contract and are not playing him so what’s he supposed to do? I’m sure if a move came up that appealed to him he’d take it, but the fee and wages for any club would be enormous so his potential options are very, very limited. In the meantime, he gets paid as per his contract, fair enough.

I live in Wales and even taking aside the bias of the locals - they love him - he’s regarded as a decent, humble lad, not arrogant or impacted by his status in any way. And he certainly puts every effort in when playing for his country, that is undeniable. So he does still want to play, he still loves the game, he’s just in the middle of a lucrative contract that seems to have turned toxic for whatever reason. If he does get a move, to Man Utd or somewhere similar, I’m in no doubt that his genuine talent would come to the fore again.

The Welsh probably love him as they'll be comparing him to Giggs who would rather find an excuse to avoid playing for Wales whereas Bale always turns up. Always turning up should be the absolute minimum expectation. Always turning up doesn't necessarily make him humble.

Giggs played 64 times for Wales in 16 years. Bale has already played 80+ times in roughy the same amount of time.

Could be wrong but it's a theory I believe.

Bale is an excellent player but he's making a bit of a dick of himself at Madrid. It's clear he doesn't get on with Zidane but his attitude has just been that of a petulant child. No professionalism from him at all really. He claims he's being disgustingly treated at Madrid - sounds a bit like when Barrie McKay said he was treated like an animal. As it total made up bullshit. I reckon her is getting a bit of stick at Madrid from management and players as well the fans and press. However, that's mainly because he's acting like a total dick of a man.

Madrid are better off getting shot of him but I guess they want to ensure they get the money they want. Either that or just want to actually treat him like the wank he's being.

Sure he'll get a move some point soon though. Hopefully that sparks his career off again as he's actually a very good player to watch when he can be arsed.

There’s probably an element of Bale purposefully making it difficult as a wee get it up ye to Madrid’s cunty supporters who’ve been hurling abuse at him, booting his car etc.

It’s basically just one big cùnt off between a cùnt of a player and a cùnt of a club. Whoever loses, I win :D

Has he not declined a fair bit? Not the pace he once had?

Can’t see United touching him after the Sanchez debacle.
Tbf even with a decline in his pace he's probably still quicker than most players. Not a comparison in terms of ability but on the subject of pace, always remember Martin Petrov playing for Bolton, must have been 33/34 years old at the time and was still lightening quick.

If I was Bale I’d wind those arsehole fans up tbh

The most self entitled, whinging, 2 faced supporters I’ve ever encountered.

Lol every time I see him ripping the piss out of them

he will be back in England next year, insanely rich, medal collection most would’ve only dreamed of and one hell of a golfer too

How has he been treated poorly? Hes an arrogant lady's front bottom who epitomises everything thats wrong with the modern game.
I’d say he’s developed a huge chip on his shoulder because Madrid’s supporters are greeting faced arrogant cunts and I don’t blame him. Let’s not forget that these spoiled brats used to boo C. Ronaldo.

I’d say he’s developed a huge chip on his shoulder because Madrid’s supporters are greeting faced arrogant cunts and I don’t blame him. Let’s not forget that these spoiled brats used to boo C. Ronaldo.

Those spoilt brats pay his wages. hes getting 33M a year or something like that. He should be very humble for a man in his position. %^*& him, hes the spoilt lady's front bottom.

I find the whole Bale thing with Madrid strange - he's played in four winning Champions League teams.

In 2014 he scored the decisive goal in extra time against Athletico to put Real 2-1 up in the Champions League final.

In the 2014/15 season he scored in the FIFA World Club Cup final.

In the 2016 Champions League final he got the assist for Ramos' goal against Athletico. The match finished 1-1 and Bale scored in the shoot-out as Real won the trophy.

Despite being out for four months he returned and played in the 2017 Champions League final helping Real to beat Juve.

In 2018 he scored twice in the Champions League final - one absolute peach - helping Real to a third successive victory.

The following season he scored a hat-trick in the 2018 World Club semis, and helped Real to win that for the third time and became only the third player to score in three different World Club cups after Messi and Ronaldo.

Any other team and he'd have a statue built and a stand named after him.

Those spoilt brats pay his wages. hes getting 33M a year or something like that. He should be very humble for a man in his position. %^*& him, hes the spoilt lady's front bottom.
Aye fans pay his wages so they can do what they want and players should just take it on the chin. Get real pal. He didn’t go there with that attitude.

Read post #130 and maybe you’ll understand why he’s a bit miffed at being treated like a twat.

Aye fans pay his wages so they can do what they want and players should just take it on the chin. Get real pal. He didn’t go there with that attitude.

Read post #130 and maybe you’ll understand why he’s a bit miffed at being treated like a twat.

Boo hoo he doesnt have a statue. I think Madrid fans dont like his attitude. %^*& him.

He’s achieved a lot with Madrid and I’m really not sure why Zidane and the fans don’t rate him, it seems more like he enjoys playing the villain I don’t think he has any actual attitude problems he doesn’t seem out of shape or lacking effort when he does play.

Boo hoo he doesnt have a statue. I think Madrid fans dont like his attitude. %^*& him.
Not really the point I was making. He has the attitude because of the fans, but in your head he’s getting paid so they should be able to treat him in any way and he should accept it

%^*& him? :D I don’t think he’s looking for sympathy and at the end of the day he’s the one getting it right up them by taking his wage (their money as you helpfully pointed out) and giving them what they deserve in return. Good on him.

Not really the point I was making. He has the attitude because of the fans, but in your head he’s getting paid so they should be able to treat him in any way and he should accept it

%^*& him? :D I don’t think he’s looking for sympathy and at the end of the day he’s the one getting it right up them by taking his wage (their money as you helpfully pointed out) and giving them what they deserve in return. Good on him.

How is he being trated badly? Getting the odd whistle and boo? %^*& him.

I'm in the Ronaldinho boat where once you've achieved everything you feasibly can in the game you can coast. Wales aren't realistically winning anything but he's taken them closer than it'll probably ever be again. He's won multiple Champions League titles and isn't exactly 'wasted' in that regard.

Back